Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,313 times

Advertisements

Ok, please follow me on this,

My ex moved to North Carolina and has a car registered in my name from another state. At this time she cannot take out a loan to get the car registered in her name,(It is currently in my name, but she is paying the monthy notes) but the inspection sticker has expired. Is there some way to have the car inspected in North Carolina.(Insurence is in both our names) I would be willing to transfer the title to North Carolina so she could do all of these things if necessary. Please let me know how to do any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
It really depends on your license plate tags. If the tags are in north carolina it really wouldnt matter who the car name is in when you go get it inspected at a gas station that offer that service they just check to make sure it in compliance with normal safety, window tint, and emissions in certain counties.

Vechile must be inspected within 10 days after registering car in NC.

Long as she just shows the inspector vechile registration they will not question how she paying you just that it registered in nc

Expire inspection of another state will not matter if tag is out of state unless the car is driven back in that state, or failure to change tags within 30 days of residency.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
She is going to have to have it registered with NC when the plates expire anyway. Why don't you call a DMV office and ask the question, they at least can tell you how to go about with registering it in NC (unless the plates are good for a year yet).

Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 14,313 times
The plates don't expire for several months. My concern is the cars in my name and because i'm in another state, I'm not sure if I can get it registered in NC. At this time it is not registered in NC.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
This is exactly what my friend went through. However, in her case her x husband would not cooperate. DMV is going to require both of you to sign the paperwork, then they will allow her to register it in NC.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,942 times
what can you do if a car has to be checked for emissions and the car is not in town and wont be before the plates expire

Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louloujp View Post
what can you do if a car has to be checked for emissions and the car is not in town and wont be before the plates expire
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying the vehicle is currently out-of-state? When does the current inspection expire?

If you are visiting a state that has an emissions program, have your vehicle tested and send your passing results to NC-DMV. If the state does not have an emissions program, a one year exemption can be received from NC-DMV. Contact NC-DMV Headquarters for additional information on out-of-state renewals at (919) 715-7000.

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/inde...=programstatus

Note: In the future, you can have your vehicle inspected within 90 days prior to the expiration date.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2009 at 03:59 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
I think what he's saying is he lives in another state, but his ex moved to NC with the car that is in his name; the insurance in both of their names.

As long as she can show proof of insurance in NC (she may have to get her own insurance here), she can register the car. When she fills out the DMV paperwork, there is an area where she has to mark who owns the title. Since she's still paying on the car, she needs to put the holder of her loan there and they will request other information about them. I believe you can send a notarized letter stating she didn't steal the car and you are aware that she is getting it registered in NC. You'll have to call the DMV to check that out, of course. Unfortunately you have to sign the paperwork in front of a DMV worker, but maybe you could get them to waive that if you get it notarized in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina