Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 PM

36 posts, read 109,596 times

Advertisements

Cracklins and cold sweet potatos
Not the stuff you get in a bag at the convenience store either. The real cut up, fried brown in a cast iron pot and pressed in a lard press, hog fat. There again, not an everyday food. From a time when people got up at 4 AM and walked behind a plow until past dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,958,895 times
I don't think all of the good downhome foods mentioned are all that more unhealthy than the heavy Italian, greasy Chinese, and tons of Pizza that everyone here in NY scarfs down all of the time.

I grew up drinking sweet tea, but prefer it with 1/2 cup sugar per 2qts. It sweet, refreshing but not like syrup.

Another treat I remember is making homemade ice cream on a summer evening. Chocolate, or peach, in those one gallon motorized freezers that you sit outside 'til it's ready.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM

219 posts, read 854,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS3775 View Post
Cracklins and cold sweet potatos
Not the stuff you get in a bag at the convenience store either. The real cut up, fried brown in a cast iron pot and pressed in a lard press, hog fat. There again, not an everyday food. From a time when people got up at 4 AM and walked behind a plow until past dark.
PLS,
Up here in Yankee country my wife makes Yams.......FRIED with lots of butter and sugar. Insanely good.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:42 PM

219 posts, read 854,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariegirl View Post
And no worries Denny. Your first NC tomato sandwich will bring you to near tears! DE-lish!!
Oh Marie,
We are sitting here still digging out from 5 inches of ICE AND MORE ICE.
I said to Judy, gee, don't you just love the change of seasons?
She said something very nasty...........I wonder if it was directed at me?
Usually is.

Sitting on the back porch..........price of home $150,000
85 to 90 degrees...............air conditoner bill $50.00
Ice cold beer...............$2.00
NC and a tomato sandwich..................PRICELESS!
Please Lord hear my prayers.
Denny

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Default Dukes!!!

You are so totally right Dukes is the only Mayo. We live up north and every time we come back home we bring back a case of Dukes. Gotta have the Dukes for the banana sandwiches. Yummmmmy! Everyone up here thinks we are nuts for putting mayo on our banana sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina