Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 PM

36 posts, read 109,413 times

Advertisements

Oh, and what about pineapple casserole? (pineapple, little sugar and flour, cheddar cheese; place ritz crackers with butter on top) - YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 47,345 times
does anyone eat healthy in N.C. I don't mean to put anyone down but
i'm into working out and keeping in shape all the talk about loads of sugar in tea
and fried cornbread doesn't sound too healthy , but the vegetables sound good
and what in the world is pot liqouor !

Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 AM

644 posts, read 3,320,659 times
Is everyone fat in the south? My mouth is watering reading all this stuff, but man oh man, is it fattening! I'm headed to Raleigh next week to check things out. i hope I can find a good restaurant that served grits and greens. Yum!

Artie

Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,887 times
Don't forget - these are meals started by simple people out on the farm - cheap, easily obtainable...and these people worked their butts off during the day to get their meals! Point being, yep, it's fattening! But they burned it off far more than we do now!
I actually enjoy going to my in-laws...they would have boiled sausage, with probably 4-5 different vegetables, out of their garden of course. Cold sweet potatoes (try it!! bake them, stick them in the fridge...yum!), collard greens, field peas (not my choice!), corn, and homemade applesauce. That's far healthier than I eat normally!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 AM

124 posts, read 168,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJARICK View Post
i'm into working out and keeping in shape all the talk about loads of sugar in tea
These are regional dishes, not everyday foods.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 PM

89 posts, read 417,204 times
Default To answer your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJARICK View Post
Not breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. These are faves! (And the pot liquor is the green water that collards or turnips leave over after cooking.)

Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 AM

122 posts, read 456,871 times
You will notice that most of the posts start with, "I remember". Noone eats this way now. Sigh. But we do change up the old ways for a newer, healthier version. Beans without the back, sweetener in the tea, and healthy oils in the cornbread. Plus, it only takes a small amount of oil to crisp up bread. But the baked mac and cheese just had to go. Too much fat and pasta together.
And noone, myself included, has mentioned corn pudding! How could I forget that. Still make it all the time. Yum. And apple butter. And pickled anything that can't walk off. But I don't eat the pickled everythings.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 AM

77 posts, read 461,295 times
I love the Eastern NC BBQ with slaw with lots of sweet tea at Smithfield's. OH! the hush puppies too!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM

219 posts, read 852,952 times
HEY,
Let us stop complaining about the fat content and health issues of NC food.
Oh my Lord. Apple Butter.
Heaven.
Tea with pounds of sugar.
Corn Bread.
Butter.
Red Meat.
Fried...........Fried.............and then Fried again.
Doesn't anyone on this forum know what cholesterol is?
It's what makes food taste GOOD.
Denny
Woodlynne NJ

Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM

89 posts, read 417,204 times
And no worries Denny. Your first NC tomato sandwich will bring you to near tears! DE-lish!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina