Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM

252 posts, read 1,072,149 times

Advertisements

I saw a stint on "google" the other day, it was about a 30minute show on the company, and the employees OH MY GOSH! What a great place to work!

They said they get 150,000 applications a day because of the great advantages to working there, and they interviewed some of the employees and they couldn't say enough about the place.

When is this supposed to come to Lenoir? does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
They said they get 150,000 applications a day because of the great advantages to working there, and they interviewed some of the employees and they couldn't say enough about the place.
Google is a good company. I'm an internet entrepreneur in the Roanoke Valley, VA area and I generate about $9,000 a month in ad revenue thanks to Google Adsense. It's a very small fraction of my overall revenue, and I'm a small potato compared to many Google publishers, but they treat their community of publishers very well. For example, they sent me a Christmas present - a digital photograph frame And when I attended the WebmasterWorld Pubcon in Vegas in November, Google hosted a really fun party for EVERYONE at the convention. It was all-inclusive. Compare that to the invite-only party that Yahoo set up in Hugh Heffner's $40,000/night penthouse. I spend about $10,000/year advertising on Yahoo and didn't get an invite. Which didn't bother me but it does offer a contrast in philosophy between the two large web-based companies.

Sean

Old 02-16-2007, 03:24 AM

22 posts, read 114,425 times
Default What businesses would be good for Lenoir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There has been a struggling economy the last couple of years as more furniture makers have pulled out. But it is still a great area, not too downtrodden or a lost cause at all. I think the governor is smart to have encouraged this development for that part of the state before it became a real wasteland. This will certainly help turn some things around.
LovesMountains
I am moving to the town just next to Lenoir - it seems like Lenoir was once a beautiful town. We were there for pizza while we were house hunting and loved it, but wondered how it would ever come back to life...low and behold..Google. I am looking to start some type of business that might benefit from Google moving into the area. Any ideas? IslandGirl

Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl View Post
LovesMountains
I am moving to the town just next to Lenoir - it seems like Lenoir was once a beautiful town. We were there for pizza while we were house hunting and loved it, but wondered how it would ever come back to life...low and behold..Google. I am looking to start some type of business that might benefit from Google moving into the area. Any ideas? IslandGirl
Here's an idea...why not contact Google - they seem very approachable, and ask them what kinds of things they noted in their choice of location that might be missing. They may be able to tell you about something they know their employees really want in a town that doesn't exist there yet. Finding an unfilled niche would be the key to your success. Good luck!!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,641 times
While Google is taking a lot of heat from getting all these tax breaks and incentives, which I agree is quite alot, the thought of having such a California based company in the area will really start to move the economy forward. Unfortunately, I do not believe Google will employ those who have been laid off in the past years, but I do think it will attract many more businesses to the area that can employ them.

Just hearing Google is coming might entice other employers, shops, etc, to move to Lenoir and the surrounding area maybe before Google even opens.

I know Google ws considering other sites to build, but the company would have the most effect in Lenoir.

Maybe the Charlotte Observer is upset that Google isnt coming to the Charlotte area like everyone else in the country?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
While Google is taking a lot of heat from getting all these tax breaks and incentives, which I agree is quite alot, the thought of having such a California based company in the area will really start to move the economy forward. Unfortunately, I do not believe Google will employ those who have been laid off in the past years, but I do think it will attract many more businesses to the area that can employ them.

Just hearing Google is coming might entice other employers, shops, etc, to move to Lenoir and the surrounding area maybe before Google even opens.
I doubt it. All they're bringing is a server farm (i.e., large data center -- a place where computers are set up to run.) All the systems analysis, programming, developing, algorithm work, etc. ... is going to happen far away, in California or NYC or Massachusetts or other areas where Google has major development centers.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't expect hardly any spillover from this. Google's looking for cheap land, cheap electricity -- that's it. Even the jobs are going to be much lower wage-scale than Google developer jobs.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I doubt it. All they're bringing is a server farm (i.e., large data center -- a place where computers are set up to run.) All the systems analysis, programming, developing, algorithm work, etc. ... is going to happen far away, in California or NYC or Massachusetts or other areas where Google has major development centers.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't expect hardly any spillover from this. Google's looking for cheap land, cheap electricity -- that's it. Even the jobs are going to be much lower wage-scale than Google developer jobs.
Still, 200 jobs is 200 jobs. That alone will stimulate the economy at least a bit. Plus, I give credit to those who worked so hard to bring Google to this area because I do believe it will attract other businesses to also look at that part of the state. It lends some credibility to the desirability of living here.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 AM

I dont see how it can be assumed that google wont bring any additional employers and business to the area. I would like to think that those who brought the company to Lenoir would have some belief that this is a good thing for the area. Think about it, why give all those breaks to a rich company for only 200 jobs? Because local and state leaders believe it will be a huge benefit to the area. It wouldnt surprise me to hear other companies coming to that area this year.

NC has a share the wealth problem. While some parts of the state grow, others lose out. And its the same places time and again.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,169 times
Natilve,
Do a little research and find an article about other towns to which Google has moved and read about the positive overall impact it had on the area.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Natilve,
Do a little research and find an article about other towns to which Google has moved and read about the positive overall impact it had on the area.
Yes, and when Google is built other companies will move in to support Google. Look what Dell did for Winston-Salem!

I think that is alot of the reasoning for having Google come to this particular spot in NC.

Cheap land, cheap electricity, what business is not looking for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina