Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I really didnt know the Geo Metros went that fast!
It's the new hybrid model.
I have been testing it for Mr. Gore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
It's the new hybrid model.
I have been testing it for Mr. Gore.
LOL THE original source of greenhouse gases himself! His son probably coulda squeezed 200 out of it- and showed you where to hide your dope too!!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Actually 87 mph isn't that fast on a good road, in a well maintained car, with little to no traffic.

Many times in the 70s I was a child in the backseat while my parents drove 120+ on the German Autobahn.

We were in Germany last year and I hit 168 mph on a clear stretch between Munich and Dingolfing, my family is fine.

Many were running 135+ mph.

I surely would not do that in the USA though, well, not that extreme.
Well I definitely want to experience the Autobahn, it's on my pre-40 bucket list

Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM

48 posts, read 179,783 times
Those pictures are too funny!!!!

Just be careful if you 're driving fast on Youngblood (nothing like the Autobahn) except for all the German cars you can see on it every day......early in the morning...Unmarked cars strategically hidden behind bushes trying to catch speeders .

Old 07-09-2008, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 93,447 times
Thanks for all the great advice and I will let all of you know how it turns out! :-)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 AM

41 posts, read 116,923 times
Default Autobahn

Tell the whole story of the Autobahn-or watch the show on cable tv about how most people who get in accidents are picked up with putty knifes.

There is a big savings you can be put in a bag instead of a box.

Quote:
Actually 87 mph isn't that fast on a good road, in a well maintained car, with little to no traffic.

Many times in the 70s I was a child in the backseat while my parents drove 120+ on the German Autobahn.

We were in Germany last year and I hit 168 mph on a clear stretch between Munich and Dingolfing, my family is fine.

Many were running 135+ mph.

I surely would not do that in the USA though, well, not that extreme.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 182,303 times
You need an attorney to help with this. If all works out for the better, you'll get a fine, and maybe some points, which they may allow you to forego if you take a AAA Safe Driving Class. It's technically called a "Prayer for Judgment" (deferred prosecution). An attorney can cost you $300 or more, maybe $500. Paper work will need to be filed with the court. Not sure where people are getting $150 from; that would be a bargain. BUT, compared to what insurance will do to you, any price is a bargain. You will be in "good behavior" jail for 2-3 years; if you get another offense during the "Prayer" it will be vacated, and you will suffer the consequences of BOTH the prior offense, and the current offense. Also, where on 85 were you caught? For example, if you were in a work zone, or narrow 2 lane sections, or in the HOV lane without a passenger, will make a difference; if it is a straightaway, like just south of concord mills, most people are doing 75. Might be worth taking a picture of the roadway. Hopefully, you were on your best behavior with the officer; that makes a difference. One last thing (can you tell I was in the same situation in VA?), I hope you were driving a car in good working condition, with a current license, inspection and insurance.

Last edited by BrusselsSprouts; 07-15-2008 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
22 over the speed limit can get your license revoked and will put you on public transportation for a while.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 93,447 times
TODAY WAS COURT DAY-

Despite most of you recommending that I get a lawyer, I chose to not get one. This is my experience.

The cop wrote me for 87 in a 65 and tacked on reckless driving for the speed. I walked into the court house and waited outside the courtroom with about 30 other people and a few lawyers by themselves waiting for the same thing. 4 assistant DAs walked out and gathered us all in a group (including the lawyers) and stated we all had three options. First option was to go to traffic school which was an 8 hour class and have it not go on our record, second was to have it reduced and pay the fine. Third was called a prayer of judgement which you could get if you (or your spouse) hadn't had a ticket in 3 years. They would erase it off your record and you would just have to pay court costs but if you got in trouble again within 3 more years you would be charged for your first ticket and your current ticket. Because I am from SC and this ticket was in NC (meck county) I couldn't go to traffic school. They called my name and I met with a DA who seemed to be giving everyone the same deal regardless if they had a lawyer or had dirty pants on. (I recommend wearing business casual attire) He dropped the reckless driving charge and changed my 87 in a 65 to a 75 in a 65. The whole fine was $135.00. I was to appear in court at 9:00 am and was finished and back in my car by 9:15. I am so glad I didn't waste my money on a lawyer!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
This revolving door must really tick off LEO's that are trying to make a difference and save lives by changing the driving habits of the wreckless and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina