Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2021, 07:18 AM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times

Advertisements

Can we get back to the topic of the thread? Maybe you guys start an ongoing sticky thread in the Triangle forum about why Charlotte bothered you today. Just a thought.

Apologies if this has been asked, but have the urban area population numbers been released yet or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:12 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You guys have to constantly post irrelevant, meaningless stuff to let everyone know just how important or special Charlotte is to outsiders, when someone points out anything negative about the city.

Why do you care so badly what other's think of your city and how it compares to peer and higher tier cities?
I wasn’t responding to your post so I’m not sure why my response to someone else’s comments about Charlotte trigger you so much. Didn’t you just compare Raleigh to Miami and Atlanta above with a passive aggressive shot at Charlotte to go along with it? Didn’t the guy above you also just praise Raleigh after his claims about living in other places but I noticed you had no vitriol for him. You reinforced his points as I did the guy who I replied to about Charlotte. Interesting. If you actually read my comment I said I was surprised because I personally don’t find Charlotte (nor Raleigh) to be anything amazing and that’s why I was surprised by the views of outsiders. The views they had on Charlotte likely would apply to the Triangle area as well but the conversations center around Charlotte because people typically ask where you’re from when they meet you and I don’t live in Raleigh. I don’t know how you interpret me calling a city bland as praise but perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension and explore why you go into blind rage anytime you see a positive adjective associated with charlotte.

I’ll pass on the Charlotte/Raleigh wars you guys have going on and whatever this strange inferiority complex you have about the city. Raleigh doesn’t need Charlotte to fail in order to be successful or vice-versa. Maybe take the advice above and start a sticky post in the Triangle thread where you can vent about Charlotte everyday. It’s truly baffling how you people can get so emotionally invested in something of such little importance. I really couldn’t care less about those petty arguments so this is the first and last time I’ll address such childishness. Good day.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:18 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I wasn’t responding to your post so I’m not sure why my response to someone else’s comments about Charlotte trigger you so much. Didn’t you just compare Raleigh to Miami and Atlanta above with a passive aggressive shot at Charlotte to go along with it? Didn’t the guy above you also just praise Raleigh after his claims about living in other places but I noticed you had no vitriol for him. You reinforced his points as I did the guy who I replied to about Charlotte. Interesting. If you actually read my comment I said I was surprised because I personally don’t find Charlotte (nor Raleigh) to be anything amazing and that’s why I was surprised by the views of outsiders. The views they had on Charlotte likely would apply to the Triangle area as well but the conversations center around Charlotte because people typically ask where you’re from when they meet you and I don’t live in Raleigh. I don’t know how you interpret me calling a city bland as praise but perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension and explore why you go into blind rage anytime you see a positive adjective associated with charlotte.

I’ll pass on the Charlotte/Raleigh wars you guys have going on and whatever this strange inferiority complex you have about the city. Raleigh doesn’t need Charlotte to fail in order to be successful or vice-versa. Maybe take the advice above and start a sticky post in the Triangle thread where you can vent about Charlotte everyday. It’s truly baffling how you people can get so emotionally invested in something of such little importance. I really couldn’t care less about those petty arguments so this is the first and last time I’ll address such childishness. Good day.
Are you familiar with the term projection?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:46 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with the term projection?
Meanwhile there are now four different booming markets in Florida and they all work together and coexist just fine. In my opinion the winner of this Charlotte versus the triangle mess will be the market that wises up and decides to help out the triad first.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Meanwhile there are now four different booming markets in Florida and they all work together and coexist just fine. In my opinion the winner of this Charlotte versus the triangle mess will be the market that wises up and decides to help out the triad first.
Economic growth is not simply about one metro helping out another. Both Charlotte and the Triangle have planted seeds decades ago that have led to the prosperity that these metros currently enjoy. Meanwhile, the Triad was too busy focusing on banking, textiles, furniture, tobacco, and various types of manufacturing, with very little attention paid to the reality that these industries may not thrive (in that region) into the future.

Now, the Triad finds itself trying to keep up on the economic development front while the other two metros are enjoying the fruits of their labor (and good planning). I do see W-S making good strides to innovate towards the furture, not sure what's up with GSO. H-P seems to be nostalgic about the furniture industry. The bottomline is, the Triad needs to take more initiative to improve its own economics, and not rely solely on the indirect effects of growth and spill over from the other two major metros.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 08-24-2021 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 10:12 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Economic growth is not simply about one metro helping out another. Both Charlotte and the Triangle have planted seeds decades ago that have led to the prosperity that these metros currently enjoy. Meanwhile, the Triad was too busy focusing on banking, textiles, furniture, tobacco, and various types of manufacturing, with very little attention paid to the reality that these industries may not thrive (in that region) into the future.

Now, the Triad finds itself trying to keep up on the economic development front while the other two metros are enjoying the fruits of their labor (and good planning). I do see W-S making good strides to innovate towards the furture, not sure what's up with GSO. H-P seems to be nostalgic about the furniture industry. The bottomline is, the Triad needs to take more initiative to improve its own economics, and not rely on or expect Charlotte and the Triangle to step in and do the heavy lifting.
The entire state would benefit from a third booming major Metro. Agree?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
The entire state would benefit from a third booming major Metro. Agree?
It would, but again, that third metro needs to do something to propel its boom. Otherwise NC overall will continue to do fine with two booming metro.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:42 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Back on the topic of the Census....

I know several counties were broken out from other counties to get to NC's current 100. What is the process for consolidation and is that being considered?

Tyrrell County declined 26.4% over the last decade and only has 3,245 people left. Adjacent Hyde County is only at 4,589 people and declined 21%.

Would these counties potentially benefit from consolidation to get synergies on resources?

Old 08-24-2021, 11:01 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Top 5 Counties by Race/Ethnicity Mix in 2020:

Most White-Alone:
Madison: 90.8%
Mitchell: 90.7%
Clay: 90.6%
Ashe: 90.4%
Yancey: 90%
Note: All in Western NC

Most Black-Alone:
Bertie: 59.%%
Hertford: 56.7%
Edgecombe: 55.8%
Northampton: 55.2%
Halifax: 50.9%
Note: All in Eastern NC

Most Hispanic:
Duplin: 22.2%
Sampson: 20.7%
Lee: 20.7%
Johnston: 15.9%
Durham: 15.4%
Note: Mix of rural and big metro

Most Multi-racial:
Onslow: 6.4%
Hoke: 6.3%
Cumberland: 6.2%
Currituck: 5.4%
Camden: 5.4%
Note: All in Fayetteville area or Eastern NC

Most Asian:
Wake: 8.6%
Orange: 8.5%
Mecklenburg: 6.4%
Cabarrus: 5.3%
Guilford:5.3%
Note: All in the big metro areas

Most American Indian:
Robeson: 37.4%
Swain: 28.5%
Scotland: 10.8%
Jackson: 8.9%
Hoke: 7.3%

Last edited by CLT4; 08-24-2021 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 11:04 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
The difference in Florida is that Miami is Miam and it’s been that way for a while. Everything else falls into place. NC’s growth is still recent and new and these cities are still finding themselves. The Triangle is closer to and more similar to Charlotte than Tampa is to Miami. In the real world though I don’t think the Charlotte vs Triangle thing is even a thing. I’ve literally never heard of it outside of this forum. NC’s only issue in the working together arena in my opinion is transitioning away from the rural/small town focus of the past and learning to focus most energy into the growing cities. Even then overall for how fast they’re growing I’d say NC is managing the growth well. Even better than Florida is managing the growth of Tampa and Orlando.

Last edited by ZeusAV; 08-24-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina