Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 18,944 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Mandy and i just moved to NC in dezember from Germany. Is there any german people here in NC and where?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 06:52 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear1977
Hi my name is Mandy and i just moved to NC in dezember from Germany. Is there any german people here in NC and where?

thanks

Not sure where in NC you are located...but if you are close to Charlotte...a good start is Waldhorn Restaurant in Pineville.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 67,579 times
Hi Mandy,

we are thinking about moving from Germany to the US. Our problem is, we don´t know where we should start, North Carolina or New Hamphire. What is it like in NC?

american friend

Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM

104 posts, read 573,914 times
Oh, choosing between NC and NH leaves big gaps in between. Both are nice but lots of difference in temps. However, my nephew is a long term resident of Germany and NH may be closer to what you are accustomed to. It is quite hot in the south. My nephew lives just south of Munich and it is cold even there. If you are from northern Germany and love cold weather sports, there will not be a long enough season in NC for you to be happy. On the other hand, if you hate the cold, you will love it in NC.

There are lots of German companies with many German citizen employees in Charlotte. A good starting point would be companies on the south end of I-85. There you will find a lot and I'm sure they will be happy to direct you to others.

CG

Old 10-04-2006, 06:52 PM

37 posts, read 185,182 times
Hello,

my name is Katrin, I moved from germany to the US about 6,5 years ago. My husband is American, speaks fluently german though, since he worked for 12 years in Germany and Autria. We are currently in Sarasota, Florida and will be realoctating to Asheville, North Carolina in 3 weeks (can't wait )
I would love to meet up with a group of german people once in a while. Please write back where you guys are going to live etc.

Greetings Katrin.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,751 times
My family moved from Germany (Hamburg) to Northern New Jersey about 29 years ago. We try to go back to Germany every two to three years. (I agree, A LOT has changed. But change is inevitable, sometimes it's a positive thing.) Climate wise you would probably be more comfortable in New Hampshire. (IMO) Northern New Jersey's climate is also very similar to that in Southern Germany. If you're from Northern Germany, like I am, you're probably used to lots of rainy days. From what I've read Seattle, WA is more likely to fit the bill.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,919 times
Overall weather is much nicer in NC than in NH. Winston Salem was founded by Germans. There are a lot of German companies in Charlotte and the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC area.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM

37 posts, read 185,182 times
Olivia,

This is Katrin from Sarasota, I have been trying to email you back privately to the email address you gave me from verizon, but it was not able to be delivered, I would like to answer to your mail but can't. I can also not send you a private message through this forum it seem like you disabled that option.
Let me know, Katrin.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Hello Germans!

I moved to the US in 1980 from Nuernberg. I've lived in Illinois, Wisonsin, New Jersey, and now North Carolina. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Old 10-06-2006, 09:45 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfmaus View Post
Hello,

my name is Katrin, I moved from germany to the US about 6,5 years ago. My husband is American, speaks fluently german though, since he worked for 12 years in Germany and Autria. We are currently in Sarasota, Florida and will be realoctating to Asheville, North Carolina in 3 weeks (can't wait )
I would love to meet up with a group of german people once in a while. Please write back where you guys are going to live etc.

Greetings Katrin.
Hi Katrin,

What part of Germany are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina