Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmouse View Post
Another German here. I grew up near Duesseldorf, lived in Canada, California, TN and we are now moving to Lake Norman this spring. Any German dressage riders on board here?
Hi!
Sorry, not dressage.....but cross country and fox hunt (not the real thing....just somebody pretending to be the fox!!!), english style. Just getting now into the country western style riding. (In which I need a lot more practice, since I was told I have to losen up because I'm to stiff.....lol. Seems like, everything you are NOT supposed to do in the english riding style, you ARE supposed to do in western....LOL. It's so funny....... lol
Can't wait to move to NC to be near horses/ country again. Grew up with horses, cows and all, and miss that so much......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 08:46 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
My dad and his family moved from Germany in 1878. I am not that ancient but I am close to a miracle. They moved first to Michigan and then he moved to Mount Airy, North Carolina around 1900.

Winston-Salem does have a great German heritage.

I visited Munich once in early winter and had a great time.

You can find a tremendous variety of climates from North Carolina to the north. If you want a cooler climate but don't want to go "up North" you might try the Interstate 81 corridor which goes up from the far corner of Virginia through the New River Valley, Roanoke River Valley, and Shenandoah Valley into Pennsylvania. Mostly it is a high mountain valley where the elevation is usually one thousand feet or more. Our home in Roanoke is on the side of a mountain about 1,500 feet up. There are pictures of the area at my Roanoke blog and Sunrise Mountain Site.

Between Blacksburg, VA into western Pennsylanvia you can be close to much more snow than in North Carolina.

Blacksburg is a small town with a big university. The Roanoke, VA metro area is about 250K. Farther north is Winchester, Va where some people live and commute all the way to Washington. State College, PA the location of Penn State is another small town with a very big university, but that area of Pennsylvania gets some pretty serious winters.

It you have some more thoughts about what you want in a place to live, I would be glad to share what I know.

We are native North Carolinians who have lived in Southwest Virginia in the mountains, Northern Virginia near Washington, DC, Maryland and in eastern Canada. I went to school in Boston and spent a fair amount of time in that area. I have also spent a fair amount of time in Pennsylvania and have a college roommate of German heritage living in New Jersey. Last I checked he had his German ancestory figured out to around 1315. He signs many of his emails with the famous quote- "Beer is a sign that God loves us."

We now live on the North Carolina coast near Cape Carteret and the beaches of Emerald Isle. Germans are welcome here also.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM

47 posts, read 187,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Hi!
Sorry, not dressage.....but cross country and fox hunt (not the real thing....just somebody pretending to be the fox!!!), english style. Just getting now into the country western style riding. (In which I need a lot more practice, since I was told I have to losen up because I'm to stiff.....lol. Seems like, everything you are NOT supposed to do in the english riding style, you ARE supposed to do in western....LOL. It's so funny....... lol
Can't wait to move to NC to be near horses/ country again. Grew up with horses, cows and all, and miss that so much......
Well maybe we need to hook up. I am moving my horses at the end of this month and I'll be living in the Lake Norman area. email me directly if you like. miriam@bangtag.com

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

48 posts, read 175,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_awed View Post
hey guys,

im a german paralegal looking for a job in nc. Anybody know a german lawyer who would hire me?

sara
Hi!! Ich bin auch ein paralegal from Germany!! :0) I live in Arizona though, just moved here and also looking for a job. Was ist denn alles anders bei den Amis? Ich hab mir gerade ein paralegal handbook gekauft.. anscheinend duerfen die hier notariell beglaubigen.. schreib mir mal!! Ciao, Steffi :0)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 PM

230 posts, read 578,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear1977 View Post
Hi my name is Mandy and i just moved to NC in dezember from Germany. Is there any german people here in NC and where?

thanks
Yes, come to Hickory to the Old German Schnitzel Haus, a lot of Germans go there, young and older. they have good website Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Hallo,
I am Rudi from Germany and look for advise . Me and my wife have serious plans to get out of Florida (Orlando) . Too hot here , crime is increasing rapidly and traffic is crazy . We have found 2 places we really like but have not been there yet (planning to go in a few weeks). Asheville we like a lot and another choice would be Charlotte. My wife is born hispanic and had some experiences before so we wonder which area is more welcoming in that aspect. Also work wise. I have a small Home Repair business in Orlando and would like it to relocate. Is ther enough work those places ? Or any suggestions ? Any help will be greatful appreciated and hope to meet some of you in the near future (is there a German society in either city) ?
Thanks ( Vielen Dank) Rudi
do not do charlotte, rather asheville. around Hickory are a few German Companies and a pretty good German restaurant.
Old German Schnitzel Haus (http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com - broken link)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Schoenen guten Tag ! :-)
I'm also from Germany (Frankfurt a/M and Hanau area). Been here in the states since 1991. Lived in Pennsylvania first, moved to Florida 4 years ago, and we are moving now up to NC May 5th. (Charlotte/ Mooresville area).
Pennsylvania is very cold, and people like it there because of winter sports. However, where I'm from in Germany, we don't really get the same snow anymore I remember....It's much more rainy now, and "slushy". NC really fits the bill, because the winter season is shorter, and considerably mild. From the counrty side it totally reminds me of germany, and that alone is a major reason why my mind was made up! My husband and I drove over to Kannapolis, just snooping around a bit.......OMG....endless fields, rolling hills, country, horses everywhere, cows, donkeys.....lol........AMAZING!!!!
To put it in a nutshell...the further northern states have the same bitter cold winters, like we remember from germany to be way back when..... Now that the weather got so much milder, it is just like NC!
Drop me a line....would love to get in touch with some cool germans!
My whole family is in germany, and I am the only one here...so, I am not only homesick, I really miss the "gemuetlichkeit" a lot too.
Yeah, all of us should get together sooner or later!!!
Drop me a line or two!
Tschuess bis bald!
All my family is in Germany as well. last time i was over there was in 2003 for 5 days. I miss a lot some times, even I live here now for 13 years already...

Old 09-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Not sure where in NC you are located...but if you are close to Charlotte...a good start is Waldhorn Restaurant in Pineville.
sorry, absolutely do not like the Waldhorn, no flavor,

Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 PM

58 posts, read 221,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy316 View Post
If you are German than you should check out Helen in Ga. Maybe just to visit but not to live there. It's a small touristy town with a distinctive German feel. All of the buildings and streets are made to look like a small town in Germany.
I am German and I have been in Helen GA. To me it was a German Myrtle Beach, too tourist and kitsch, nothing like the real thing. I think the new Germans here want to see something exotic, like Indians. Maybe they like to visit the Cherokees in the Smoky Mountains.

Angie

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Adams View Post
I am German and I have been in Helen GA. To me it was a German Myrtle Beach, too tourist and kitsch, nothing like the real thing. I think the new Germans here want to see something exotic, like Indians. Maybe they like to visit the Cherokees in the Smoky Mountains.

Angie
I agree with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina