Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,900,531 times

Advertisements

Great compilation Trent Y. The west side of Downtown Raleigh is very active. If Kane gets his 20-story building south of the tracks, the RUSbus facility is built, and 213 South Harrington goes up, those projects combined with the already existing Union Station and Dillon will make that area pretty much unrecognizable from a few years ago.

I really like that 213 South Harrington render. Cutting edge architecture plus the small floor plate and active ground floor make that a really cool project. Those bite-size projects sometimes add more character than the big things that take up a whole city block.

The AC Hotel and Metropolitan are not super exciting, but they should add nicely to Raleigh's density, which is a good thing IMO.

400H looks like it would be nice and would be a significant expansion of the skyline.

If developers start consistently delivering 20-story projects I wonder if there will be pressure on Raleigh to raise the zoning maximums.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Love golf and Top golf. Ok, Raleigh is starting to impress me more with recent and upcoming developments. Down there the other weekend...2x in one month from Durham for no particular reason, a record. Always liked Glenwood. Still needs a bit more glitz...maybe that's just around the corner.

Edit: On the real tip though, both Raleigh (Durham/Chapel Hill) and Charlotte are doing things I'd never thought possible in NC 30 years ago. Toss in Wilmington, Asheville...mix in the Triad...we got one helluva state no matter what the trolls say.
Yeah alright lol. I can see Kane bringing more “glitz” to downtown if he adds some of the fun he has made sure is in North Hills. I can see him building his own little entertainment district with maybe a bowling alley and another movie theater. Probably an open air space for live music in a mini park or something too.

But I agree. All the main cities are doing good things. Who knows what the next 30 years will look like for everybody in their respective cities. But obviously the triangle and Charlotte are going to go through some pretty eye popping changes.

Quote:
Great compilation Trent Y. The west side of Downtown Raleigh is very active. If Kane gets his 20-story building south of the tracks, the RUSbus facility is built, and 213 South Harrington goes up, those projects combined with the already existing Union Station and Dillon will make that area pretty much unrecognizable from a few years ago.

I really like that 213 South Harrington render. Cutting edge architecture plus the small floor plate and active ground floor make that a really cool project. Those bite-size projects sometimes add more character than the big things that take up a whole city block.

The AC Hotel and Metropolitan are not super exciting, but they should add nicely to Raleigh's density, which is a good thing IMO.

400H looks like it would be nice and would be a significant expansion of the skyline.

If developers start consistently delivering 20-story projects I wonder if there will be pressure on Raleigh to raise the zoning maximums.
Absolutely. Unfortunately I’m REALLY skeptical the condo tower on 213 Harrington gets built. Not that the demand isn’t there. I just feel like it’s a little too unique for Raleigh right now in that form. But who knows. I would love to be wrong. I just feel like it will sit as a concept kind of like Hobgoods rendering.

Then again maybe that gets built one day too?

And yeah I’m fine with the scale of all these projects do to their location in downtown. Like i said, great extension of downtown’s density and skyline. More of these lots getting developed quickly and it will help drive the remaining properties to go bigger and taller.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:54 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
In Charlotte, the next phase of the Legacy Union development (former Charlotte Observer site) has a rezoning petition filed. This will compliment the 33 story, 632 foot tower, currently under construction (on the right side of the rendering). That tower will be largely occupied by Bank of America's Global Wealth & Investment Management teams in Charlotte.

The new proposed building is 279 feet tall and 17 stories, has a cantilevered design, and is largely glass. Retail square footage will total around 23,000 square feet. No word on the anchor tenant. Would be surprised if BofA is the anchor in this building as well. If this is complete, Legacy Union will have 3 other parcels surrounding the central 632 foot tower to develop.
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...lues-into.html

Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM

@CLT4

I like that design. Reminds me a little bit of the Captrust tower in North Hills. Similiar massing too

Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
@CLT4

I like that design. Reminds me a little bit of the Captrust tower in North Hills. Similiar massing too
I like it too. I think it will add a more modern vibe to the complex than the BofA Wealth Management tower which is very traditional. The cantilevered design would stick out over Tryon Street... so it will be interesting to see how the city reacts to that in the permitting process.

It won't bring much height to the skyline and will be dwarfed by BofA Wealth, Duke Energy, and Ally Center surrounding it, but it will be a nice infill building and the street presence looks good (though a bit corporate).

Old 10-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Further plans revealed for the 308 acre Dorthea Dix Park. And they're big.

The vision for the park is broken into different sections.

The Ridge

The Valley

The Creek

The Downtown Gateway

The Grove

The Meadow

What you will be able to do at Dix Park in Raleigh | News & Observer

Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,554 times
$211.6M in construction permits issued for Amazon's latest Charlotte distribution cente

The distribution center will also include about 65,000 square feet of office space. The sub-permits contract cost is about $17.6 million of the $67.6 million total, according to the building permit.

A separate construction permit issued in late September says a $144 million contract will cover upfit work at the facility.

Contract work between the two permits totals $211.6 million. BuildZoom notes the construction permits don't include the cost of high-tech conveyance machinery, which will likely raise the price tag by millions more.

This will be Amazon's fourth distribution facility in the Charlotte region when it opens.
The e-commerce giant opened its first fulfillment center in the metro area in late 2014 in Concord, followed by a receiving center in west Charlotte in 2016. Then, last summer, the company confirmed it would build a 1 million-square-foot distribution center in Kannapolis that will open next year and employ 6.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...r-amazons.html

Old 10-05-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Those look very beautiful! What a great place that will be to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,554 times
Tookitaki, a Singapore-based regulatory technology company, is building its North American headquarters right here in the Queen City.

Tookitaki specializes in providing anti-money laundering and reconciliation services by leveraging machine-learning capabilities. Founded in 2014, the company was a participant in Queen City Fintech's incubator program in 2017. Tookitaki tapped Edward Rounds, formerly of IBM Corp., to serve as general manager in North America.

Seth Twery, vice president of client engagement at Tookitaki, says the plan locally is to eventually have a split team between Charlotte and overseas. He and Andrew Margonis, director of product management, are already based out of Packard Place in uptown Charlotte.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ecided-to.html

Old 10-05-2018, 05:07 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,537 times
Quote:

The vision for the park is broken into different sections.

The Ridge

The Valley

The Creek

The Downtown Gateway

The Grove

The Meadow

What you will be able to do at Dix Park in Raleigh | News & Observer
The plan seems much more ambitious than I was expecting.

Very nice!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina