Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 03:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,325,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I absolutely love Charlotte’s “can do”, “ we wanna be a big world class city too” attitude. Some mock it as crude boosterism, but it works!
I know, right? When the second-largest metro area in the state tries, they end up in second place, as per usual! But you should be used to that by now.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,407,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I know, right? When the second-largest metro area in the state tries, they end up in second place, as per usual! But you should be used to that by now.

That's a little unfair. Charlotte (and Raleigh) lost MLS to Nashville because neither city had ownership that could pull a deal together.

Raleigh put together a far, far superior bid to Charlotte the previous round of MLS expansions. It just so happened, CLT had Tepper. Both markets can support MLS. It was a matter of getting the resources together.

And just to stir the pot with some Triangle posters who think SC is backwards honkies. They're probably a big reason CLT is getting MLS. ; ) Tepper is getting millions from South Carolina for expansion. And they're even supporting Light Rail (which I think is a bad idea and not really gonna happen) and they're pouring in a ton of resources for the Panthers and CLT MLS. hehehe.

And please, lets not turn this into a "Charlotte Doesn't have Wegmans" / "Raleigh doesn't have IKEA" debate ;p I can't tell if you guys are ever serious or not with those claims.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-13-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 04:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The second largest metropolitan area in NC is Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC Metro Area

However, the Triangle IS NC's 2nd largest CSA which does count for something. Personally, I agree with the NCFC guy (Malik I think is his name) when he stated some months back that Charlotte and the Triangle are totally separate markets. Both can support MLS within the same state under the right ownership.

I disagree with the idea that Charlotte somehow killed MLS in Raleigh. Charlotte did however set up teams 31-32 to cost $500-600 million dollars (well outside of Malik's price range). That simply means that Malik will need more investors and possibly another co tenant at Downtown South (perhaps the Hurricanes). The Downtown South project can still work with a little creative thinking. In my honest opinion, Downtown South needs to be rebranded as Raleigh's "new" arena with sporting events and tons of concert dates. Basically, PNC would need to cede it's current role entirely over to Downtown South.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-13-2019 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 09:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,620 times
Without fail some very dumb, unnecessary, or flat out laughable things get said in this thread. It's like clockwork.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,246,493 times
How well is fan support for the Charlotte Independence? That will shed a little light on how well Major League Soccer will do in Charlotte. I think it was the perfect storm for Charlotte getting the team but honestly I think the team would do better in Raleigh for two reasons. One Soccer is more popular in that region than anywhere else in the state. Secondly, Major League Soccer wouldn't compete with other major league sports during soccer season.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Without fail some very dumb, unnecessary, or flat out laughable things get said in this thread. It's like clockwork.
Just ignore it it’s off topic anyway and not worth the energy. And most of the comments don’t reflect reality anyway. It’s just a couple people anyway. So. Obviously some opinions won’t change.

That said just post some development news.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:27 PM

88 posts, read 72,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That's a little unfair. Charlotte (and Raleigh) lost MLS to Nashville because neither city had ownership that could pull a deal together.

Raleigh put together a far, far superior bid to Charlotte the previous round of MLS expansions. It just so happened, CLT had Tepper. Both markets can support MLS. It was a matter of getting the resources together.

And just to stir the pot with some Triangle posters who think SC is backwards honkies. They're probably a big reason CLT is getting MLS. ; ) Tepper is getting millions from South Carolina for expansion. And they're even supporting Light Rail (which I think is a bad idea and not really gonna happen) and they're pouring in a ton of resources for the Panthers and CLT MLS. hehehe.

And please, lets not turn this into a "Charlotte Doesn't have Wegmans" / "Raleigh doesn't have IKEA" debate ;p I can't tell if you guys are ever serious or not with those claims.
RALEIGH HAS WEGMANS ? All this time I've been shopping at Food Lion !!

Old 12-15-2019, 09:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,445,547 times
Back to development
CATS Gold line construction at Trade & Tryon

Photo by DCtransplant

Old 12-15-2019, 09:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,445,547 times
Charlotte's Gateway Station

Phase 1Edit

At an estimate cost of $91.3 million (2017 dollars), the first phase has two parts:

1A) Construct track, structures, and signals to support two new station tracks; construct retaining wall/earthwork; construct temporary intercity bus facility (completed August, 2019).
1B) Construct rail platform and canopy for passenger loading/unloading.

This phase is fully funded with an anticipated construction period is 2018 to 2021.

Phase 2Edit

At an estimate cost of $49.9 million (2017 dollars), the second phase has two parts:

2A) Construct platform canopy; construct station building (interim condition) with full construction of concourse level and core and shell only for plaza and mezzanine levels; construct temporary surface parking and passenger drop-off area.
2B) Decommission existing Amtrak station on North Tryon Street.

This phase is partially funded with capital carryover from phase 1. The anticipated construction period is 2019 to 2022.

Phase 3Edit

At an estimate cost of $658.9 million (2017 dollars, the third phase has three parts:

3A) Construct greenway connection with bridge over Fourth Street, vertical circulation and retaining walls; construct bus facility, which includes structured parking and residential over retail wrapping garage (facility will serve as temporary parking for rail passengers till phase 3B is completed).
3B) Complete upper section of station building; extend greenway with bridge over Trade Street, vertical circulation and retaining walls; extend greenway to Bank of America Stadium; construct private development around station.
3C) Construct remote properties between Fifth and Seventh Streets; extend greenway to Ninth Street.

This phase is currently not funded, but is expected to be depended mostly from private developers. The anticipated construction period is 2020 to 2024.

Ref CATS & Wikipedia

Old 12-16-2019, 07:14 PM

South Park, Charlotte, is looking good. Not as tall as Midtown but tight.
https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-hli/hdd9e8965

Charlotte will not have multiple skylines like Atlanta. Raleigh probably will with “midtown.” If midtown doesn’t already have south park beat, it will and the Gap will widen. South Park can only build in the remaining parking lots and is hemmed in my historical neighborhoods with no interstate access.

https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-pln?fpciidx=3
^ Durham looks like the clear #3 downtown area of NC

https://photos.clearskyimages.com/20...-pln?fpciidx=3
^ Raleigh not looking like a slouch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina