Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I don't know if these zoning rules passed or not, the article is from 2015. If true I think it would be a mistake to limit the height of new construction towers at 40 stories or 500 feet tall along Fayetteville Street and the limit is 20 stories outside of that.

Raleigh considers new downtown height limits, peaking at 40 floors | News & Observer
Yeah it passed. Thats the current "limits." But its a soft cap. Any developer can request a variance. But to expedite the process that is the standard zoning. We're already seeing developers go against that in the warehouse district though. And theres been talks to have those zoning heights increased already city wide.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
I want Raleigh's skyline to rise with somewhat taller towers...

But I hope it keeps the current continuity in height that retains a lower-human scale that's very apropos for a state's capital city...

But more so because it's distinctive and stands out today in a world full of cities no longer readily identifiable from their skyline due to the relentless pursuit of height.

Richmond has a very memorable skyline and is uniformally low.

But I keep lamenting what happened in Austin which once also had a uniform breadth its similarly sized buildings,

which was lost back a few years ago with that new much-taller residential tower.

Distinctive no more in my opinion.

I'M SO HAPPY THAT DURHAM IS GETTING THIS TALLER TOWER!

I want I-85 travelers to see Durham's skyline, and I like that flyers into RDU get to see at least one tall building looking out either side of the plane.

I would have never guessed RBC in Raleigh to be over 530 tall.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I want Raleigh's skyline to rise with somewhat taller towers...

But I hope it keeps the current continuity in height that retains a lower-human scale that's very apropos for a state's capital city...

But more so because it's distinctive and stands out today in a world full of cities no longer readily identifiable from their skyline due to the relentless pursuit of height.

Richmond has a very memorable skyline and is uniformally low.

But I keep lamenting what happened in Austin which once also had a uniform breadth its similarly sized buildings,

which was lost back a few years ago with that new much-taller residential tower.

Distinctive no more in my opinion.

I'M SO HAPPY THAT DURHAM IS GETTING THIS TALLER TOWER!

I want I-85 travelers to see Durham's skyline, and I like that flyers into RDU get to see at least one tall building looking out either side of the plane.

I would have never guessed RBC in Raleigh to be over 530 tall.
Generally I agree if the average height of highrises are between 12 and 35 stories. However it would be nice to see an occasionally tower reaching let's say 50 stories. Kind of like Charlotte where the average is between 20 and 40 stories but there are a few towers north of 50 stories.

The new tower in Durham is a start and then there is the 10 story office tower soon to be under construction by DBAP. Durham has the same problem Greensboro has, having a skyline not really visible from the Interstate execpt for an occasional glimpes. A Project 561 in Greensboro would be visible from the Interstate. However Durham does have a freeway going through downtown. Raleigh and Greensboro dont have freeways or interstates going through downtown which is not neccisarily a bad thing though. Greensboro has historic neighborhoods surrounding downtown that blends into the center city. I dont think id like to see a highway cutting those neighborhoods off from downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-31-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Generally I agree if the average height of highrises are between 12 and 35 stories. However it would be nice to see an occasionally tower reaching let's say 50 stories. Kind of like Charlotte where the average is between 20 and 40 stories but there are a few towers north of 50 stories.

The new tower in Durham is a start and then there is the 10 story office tower soon to be under construction by DBAP. Durham has the same problem Greensboro has, having a skyline not really visible from the Interstate execpt for an occasional glimpes. A Project 561 in Greensboro would be visible from the Interstate. However Durham does have a freeway going through downtown. Raleigh and Greensboro dont have freeways or interstates going through downtown which is not neccisarily a bad thing though. Greensboro has historic neighborhoods surrounding downtown that blends into the center city. I dont think id like to see a highway cutting those neighborhoods off from downtown.
you can see greensboros skyline on us29 multiple times coming from Reedsville, you can also see it again on us29 passing a&T, I actually never realized how clearly you can see it from i40 coming from durham. Just some fyi, best view of the skyline hands down is Wendover bridge by Lamborghini Carolina's, love that view.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:

Raleigh's full skyline is clearly visibly from I-40 as you pass by downtown.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:57 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Raleigh's full skyline is clearly visibly from I-40 as you pass by downtown.
Yeah, it's definitely visible from I-40.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
One reason why its so difficult to see Greensboro's skyline from I-40 is because the elevation is lower. That combined with trees makes it hard to see. You can see the tops of the skyline during the winter on I-40 at the East Gate City Blvd interchange and a brief view where business 85 merges with I-40 in death valley. A project 561 type tower will clearly be seen.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
This project got a height increase and got approved so all ready to go vertical with the land all leveled out already and prepped.

It’s now 33 floors. Belk hotel.

It’s taller than the renderings suggest because it cuts off the bottom base of the theater portion

There is also no parking for this building.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
This project got a height increase and got approved so all ready to go vertical with the land all leveled out already and prepped.

It’s now 33 floors. Belk hotel.

It’s taller than the renderings suggest because it cuts off the bottom base of the theater portion

There is also no parking for this building.
At a height of 372 feet, this will be one of the tallest hotels between Atl and Philly. When it's completed, it would be Charlotte's 22nd tallest building. It is also Charlotte's 45th structure above 250ft tall. I do believe that Legacy Union 2.0 will be over 250ft tall, but it hasn't gone public yet. Duke Energy 2.0 will certainly be above 250ft (possibly 600ft). By 2022, there could be fifty 250-footers in Charlotte.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-05-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
At a height of 372 feet, this will be one of the tallest hotels between Atl and Philly.

North Tryon is getting unique designs plus the older brick scrapers and older buildings in general.

Here are it’s 2 neighbors that will go vertical soon

Lots of neat designs going up over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina