Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yep Moore Square Park is an important one for sure. Likely that will spur even more development around that area. And you’re right most of these projects are either set to complete in 2018 or get started. Highwoods buying the Edison added a ton of confidence to that tower. The only things up in the air really are the N&O site and city complex just because it’s too early to have any details yet. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see final renderings in 2018 for both. Maybe 2019 for the City Gov complex.
I almost forgot Bikeshare should be up and running very soon also. A couple of minor additions. 2 grocery stores and 2 markets coming downtown too. Also not downtown but the Target on Hillsbrough street is open also. The Residence Inn recently opened. I'm looking forward to checking out the rooftop bar/restaurant.

Another small addition. Wal burger should be open soon. I usually get overly excited about chain restaurants. But we actually need a burger joint like that downtown. Besides it's the first in NC as far as I know.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m skeptical 561 happens in Greensboro. If we pretended GSO stay dormant for a few years, which I don’t foresee, Lincoln Financial Center would probably become the 25th tallest in CLT.
Actually its looking more and more like the planned 8 story deck across the street from Greensboro's ballpark may be the base of Project 561. Roy Carroll plans a 20 story structure on top of the deck below and everything about this project seems to parallel project 561.

Carroll said Project 561 would be a 28-story tower. The project below has an 8 story deck. A 20 story tower on top would be 28 floors.

Carroll said Project 561 would consist of a tower on top of an 8 story deck. The deck below is 8 stories. Carroll said Project 561 would include a hotel and the tower would be very contemporary. The project below will include an Aloft hotel set to open in 2020 and the deck below is contemporary.

The city will vote on funding this upcoming Tuesday for this deck which is expected to pass. But what is planned below looks like the base of what may become project 561. As for how a 28 story tower can be 561 feet tall, Carroll said a spire would bring the tower up to 561 feet.

Other hints that this is likely Project 561:

Caroll said he was considering two sites for Project 561, next to his Center Pointe tower and where the deck below is planned. Carroll said if he chose the Center Pointe site, the site where the 8 story deck is being planned would be a small scale project. What Carroll has planned on top of the garage is certainly not small scale lol. So really this can only be Project 561 which is happening. Construction on the deck begins after the council votes for the funding and Starwoods website says an Aloft is opening on the site in 2020. That gives enough time to build a 28 story structure. If this were 40 stories of office space at 561 feet I can understand being skeptical. But thats not the case because 8 of those floors are for parking. The 20 floors on top would be devided among hotel space, office space and maybe residential. The spire takes it the rest of the way.

The deck has been designed to support a 20 plus story building on top. Construction on the deck below will be completed a year from now, the same time the planned 9-story ballpark office building across the street will be complete.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-16-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I’m skeptical regardless.

I have been skeptical over several of the past few scrapers in CLT. Especially the Bank of America Tower. BofA always built in the northern part of uptown, Wachovia/Wells alwaysbthe south side. Next thing you know, a 640 foot tower on the south side is rising and I completely dismissed those rumors.

One thing about taller vanity skyscrapers..... value engineering.

IE Ally Tower in Charlotte that’s about to start construction.

Before

After

Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Trent Y was reading dtraleigh.com this morning. It reminded me we missed a few other important planned projects. Some don't have names yet,but they're still taking shape.
https://dtraleigh.com/

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...hDraftPlan.pdf

I also ran across this old news report. It's interesting to see how we've come since the report aired.
Raleigh adopts 10-year plan for downtown | abc11.com

Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 PM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
North Carolina's first Alamo Drafthouse movie theater will open in Raleigh 2018Q1. 'That location [Raleigh] will also be Alamo's first Video Vortex store. A re-imagining of the classic video rental store, Video Vortex will have more than 30,000 titles on DVD, Blu-ray and VHS.' And of course, it wouldn't be Raleigh if it didn't feature more than 40 local craft beers at the built-in beer hall.

Alamo Drafthouse to unveil video store concept in Raleigh :: Out and About at WRAL.com

Can't wait!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Trent Y was reading dtraleigh.com this morning. It reminded me we missed a few other important planned projects. Some don't have names yet,but they're still taking shape.

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...hDraftPlan.pdf

I also ran across this old news report. It's interesting to see how we've come since the report aired.
Raleigh adopts 10-year plan for downtown | abc11.com
Glenwood South: More mixed use development on tap for Harrington St. | News & Observer

Another development coming to Glenwood South. It won't be long before we get more information I'm sure. With Mr Kane involved, this lot won't sit for long.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Glenwood South: More mixed use development on tap for Harrington St. | News & Observer

Another development coming to Glenwood South. It won't be long before we get more information I'm sure. With Mr Kane involved, this lot won't sit for long.
I saw that as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something along the lines of “Smokey hollow” or maybe even a residential tower similar to the one right next to it or the Quorum condo tower.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 AM

Looks like Bikeshare Raleigh should launch in May.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m skeptical regardless.

I have been skeptical over several of the past few scrapers in CLT. Especially the Bank of America Tower. BofA always built in the northern part of uptown, Wachovia/Wells alwaysbthe south side. Next thing you know, a 640 foot tower on the south side is rising and I completely dismissed those rumors.

One thing about taller vanity skyscrapers..... value engineering.

IE Ally Tower in Charlotte that’s about to start construction.

Before

After
that is quite a big letdown...but overall cost will do that.

Let's just be thankful that Greensboros skyline will finally grow after several decades of absolutely nothing.

City completely passed all proposals on dec 19th and the cranes will be erected around late January

Old 12-20-2017, 12:18 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
that is quite a big letdown...but overall cost will do that.

Let's just be thankful that Greensboros skyline will finally grow after several decades of absolutely nothing.

City completely passed all proposals on dec 19th and the cranes will be erected around late January

I’m still a little fuzzy on the details between the speculation versus what has been confirmed. I’ve been reading the GSO thread but I’m getting lost on the little bickerment of GSO being podunk vs. GSO being the end all.

Speaking of being skeptical on things that are going to happen.

BofA tower is the 640 ft. Tower rising in CLT on its 12th floor. Very credible rumor, which the poster is never wrong, that BofA will announce another 25 floor 400 ft. tower closer to its HQ building. So work most likely would start on a second BofA tower before the first one is complete.

Also, Duke will probably break ground Q3. Another 600 ft. Tower.

401 South Graham will most likely be announced this coming Q1. 400 footer office tower.

Not sure when the second office tower for Legacy starts, but it’ll most likely be around 400+ ft.

Then all of the many 25+ floor hotel and residential towers that I’ve probably mentioned. There has to be around 8 or so

I like that uptown is not centered off of Tryom street anymore. It’s becoming a core of a skyline instead of linear. Id say Stonewall, Church & College will easily eclipse as the streets of uptown soon. Especially Stonewall (which will have the Whole Foods, urban mall, lots more retail, apple store rumored, etc) MLK also is becoming pretty active with towers Lining it for many blocks.
Photo by Chris Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina