Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 03:35 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Bizarre color scheme mix

Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Bizarre color scheme mix
I think it’s ugly which is actually the reason I like it. I like diversity in the skyline.

It won’t be far from this new one going up which too is odd.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:44 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Bizarre color scheme mix
I like it. It's different.

You definitely know the kind of decor inside based on that. Should be interesting.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
What Charlotte is doing with old cotton mills.

The goal is to breathe new life into a textile mill that dates to the 1890s, while preserving its historical value.

Tompkins Hall sits on an 11.9-acre parcel on E. 16th Street in Charlotte’s Optimist Park neighborhood. White Point Partners and Atlanta-based Paces Properties have teamed up on that project.
“We’re putting a big investment into the community and we want this area to succeed.” says Erik Johnson, partner with White Point.
Work was in full swing on that project this week, when Johnson gave the Charlotte Business Journal a tour of the space. In total, the revamped mill will house 135,000 square feet of restaurants, retail and office.
Duke Energy Corp. (NYSE: DUK) will move into 83,000 square feet of office space later this year, Johnson says.

From Charlotte Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ss-on-60m.html

Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Lots more highrises to come that are just in the groundwork phase of construction. The skyline is going to change dramatically (again) with potentially a new tallest.

Here are some current skyline views of various angles

Here are some recent of Plaza-Midwood.

And of course Streetcar is currently under construction to Plaza-Midwood

Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM

A few quotes from Charlotte council members while approving some developments nimbys oppose:

“"We have to build up. We have to build more densely. We have to build around transit corridors," - Braxton

“I have a strong sense when this thing is built people will feel better about this then they do today. This is the future of our city...This is how we prevent sprawl," - Larken

In support of this project that was approved. Skyscrapers are expanding out of uptown to SouthEnd & Elizabeth

This will be along the new streetcar corridor

Our (Always going to refer to Charlotte as my city even if I don’t reside there btw) city council more than ever is all about building uptown taller and the areas immediately adjacent to it taller and denserz

Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
In banking headquarters development news around Wilmington...Corning Credit Union is building a regional headquarters on 17th St...

https://www.corningcu.org/news/ccu-n...roundbreaking/

And off of Shipyard Blvd, Live Oak Bank is continuing work on their Campus Headquarters. They specialize in small business loans...

Live Oak Bank Campus - LS3P ASSOCIATES LTD

And the new Kids Making It non profit expansion has broke ground on Castle St in the Art & Antique district...

Kids Making It breaks ground on expansion - Entertainment & Life - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
One Glenwood tower now has a twin: Two Glenwood.

Paperwork filed with the City of Raleigh for another 10 story office tower next to the new One Glenwood office tower going up at the corner of the Glenwood South District.

The paperwork shows some very interesting street level features like a retail 'container city' and a tower-shaded alley between it and the other tower.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Our (Always going to refer to Charlotte as my city even if I don’t reside there btw) city council more than ever is all about building uptown taller and the areas immediately adjacent to it taller and denserz
Charlotte doesn't really have a choice. Expanding the tax base through annexations is pretty much dead. Also, we can no longer sell our city as "affordable" (so rapid growth of single family homes is almost a thing of the past). At this point, Charlotte needs to get smarter with the 305 sq/miles that she has. This is why townhomes and apartments are being constructed in the middle of neighborhoods that are known for their single family homes.

City council members are not dumb. They are well aware of the fact that uptown and South Charlotte accounts for over half of Charlotte's tax revenue. North, East, and West Charlotte are big time tax drains (for now).

This is a center city project that's almost 300 ft tall and has over 500k sq/ft. It's by far the largest building outside of the I-277 loop. I thought such a project would happen in Southend first to be honest, but this is still a move in the right direction for Charlotte. Uptown-like projects need to happen outside of uptown's official boundary. As land values increase in neighborhoods adjacent to uptown; non uptown high rises are inevitable. The HOA backed protesters of this project were simply waving a fist at the economic/real estate evolution of a city. Bless their hearts....

Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
A few quotes from Charlotte council members while approving some developments nimbys oppose:

“"We have to build up. We have to build more densely. We have to build around transit corridors," - Braxton

“I have a strong sense when this thing is built people will feel better about this then they do today. This is the future of our city...This is how we prevent sprawl," - Larken

In support of this project that was approved. Skyscrapers are expanding out of uptown to SouthEnd & Elizabeth

This will be along the new streetcar corridor

This was a huge win for Charlotte. It might not be the biggest project in terms of sheer size, but in terms of impact I think it was possibly the most important, as it helps set precedent for similar future development around the QC.

Cool to see a second tower approved for Glenwood. That area already looks drastically different just since One Glenwood went up, and I can only imagine the effect that another building will have on the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.