Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,845 times

Advertisements

WRALtechwire Twitter account posted about 4 hours ago that Apple is “in the final stages of negotiating a deal to bring thousands of jobs to the Triangle in a deal that could transform the region.”

https://twitter.com/wraltechwire/sta...459027462?s=21

Seems like it is indeed happening. Pretty exciting for the region! And NC as a whole. As someone that often has to drive from one end of the triangle to the other however, a solid plan for mass transit needs to be expedited. Especially if we are going to be landing Apple and even the tiny chance at Amazon. The traffic seems like it’s worse by the day. The bottlenecks around RTP are going to be ridiculous. I40 is backed up every day from DTR all the way to Johnston county. Morning and afternoon. I don’t usually complain because I know it’s just a part of life in a city, but today seemed especially bad and after reading this it really just highlighted the issue to me.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
After seeing the proposed route for the Durham-Chapel Hill light rail,

I wouldn't vote for it as is.

Though I know Raleigh very well I don't know much about the different areas along the proposed route,

It look ridiculously indirect (kinda like Future I-87 To Norfolk)….

And has way too many stops that prompt so much decelerating and accelerating. I don't think MARTA has anywhere near that many stops on its longest lines.

It looks like it will take much more than an hour from end to end.

Those gigantic departures from a straight shot between the cities will scare people just looking at it on a map.

They need to pick which areas are most important to be served, streamline the route and eliminate over half of the proposed stop for now.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 PM

4,622 posts, read 6,459,794 times
DC Metro is much more of the gold standard in rail systems, and they have plenty of stops that have lead to great transit-oriented development.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
And Charlotte just flat out over acheives for a city in its bracket. The banks and huge companies like Duke push that skyline into something usually unrealistic for a sub 3 million metro.
I have to disagree with you there. Quite a few US cities had Charlotte-like skylines back when they were sub-3 millions. Heck, Atl was a sub-3 million with a kick-arse skyline, the NBA/NFL/MLB, and heavy rail back in the 1980s (and hosted the 1988 DNC).

What you're seeing today with Charlotte is a sub-3 million phase that Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, Minneapolis, San Diego, and many others have already seen. Charlotte's CSA is 2.7 million and the MSA will reach 3 million by 2027 (assuming no counties are added or taken away). Also, Charlotte's metro GDP is almost the same as metro St Louis (a metro that is really close to 3 million).

Some might disagree with me, but I say that Charlotte's skyline fits it's size. As it stands, Charlotte is the 22nd largest US metro with the 20th largest skyline. If DC didn't have a height restriction (and Riverside, Cali were included in LA's MSA) Charlotte would be the 21st largest MSA with the 21st largest skyline. It's a perfect match. It's just extremely large by NC standards; not so much by US standards.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,407,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
After seeing the proposed route for the Durham-Chapel Hill light rail,

I wouldn't vote for it as is.

Though I know Raleigh very well I don't know much about the different areas along the proposed route,

It look ridiculously indirect (kinda like Future I-87 To Norfolk)….

And has way too many stops that prompt so much decelerating and accelerating. I don't think MARTA has anywhere near that many stops on its longest lines.

It looks like it will take much more than an hour from end to end.

Those gigantic departures from a straight shot between the cities will scare people just looking at it on a map.

They need to pick which areas are most important to be served, streamline the route and eliminate over half of the proposed stop for now.

That's generally one of the big differences between light and heavy rail ...

Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I have to disagree with you there. Quite a few US cities had Charlotte-like skylines back when they were sub-3 millions. Heck, Atl was a sub-3 million with a kick-arse skyline, the NBA/NFL/MLB, and heavy rail back in the 1980s (and hosted the 1988 DNC).

What you're seeing today with Charlotte is a sub-3 million phase that Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, Minneapolis, San Diego, and many others have already seen. Charlotte's CSA is 2.7 million and the MSA will reach 3 million by 2027 (assuming no counties are added or taken away). Also, Charlotte's metro GDP is almost the same as metro St Louis (a metro that is really close to 3 million).

Some might disagree with me, but I say that Charlotte's skyline fits it's size. As it stands, Charlotte is the 22nd largest US metro with the 20th largest skyline. If DC didn't have a height restriction (and Riverside, Cali were included in LA's MSA) Charlotte would be the 21st largest MSA with the 21st largest skyline. It's a perfect match. It's just extremely large by NC standards; not so much by US standards.
Yeah we'll have to disagree. In my eyes when i look at Charlotte's closest peers i dont see much competition from Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, or even some of the bigger cities like St. louis, Baltimore, heck even phoenix at 4.7m. Especially with the height. Maybe its overall skyline doesnt match well against some of the other bigger cities but its height rivals cities much larger. And with what is still under construction or being proposed? Man. Most of that height is from the big banks and one of the largest energy companies. Without them then i could see Charlottes skyline being more normal for its size. To me it punches above its weight. But thats just my opinion.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Bailey South Project Coming to Innovation Quarter
Posted on June 6th, 2018

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Wake Forest Innovation Quarter today announced the projected sale of Building 23-1 (Bailey South) and the Morris Building on the Bailey Power Plant block to Front Street Capital, which will redevelop the buildings into nearly 100,000 square feet of office and retail space.

The new redevelopment project has commitments from over 25,000 square feet of office users who will occupy the building upon completion.

The $25+ million Front Street Capital project is the second stage in the redevelopment of the entire Bailey Power Plant property. Wexford Science & Technology recently completed its $40 million redevelopment of 23-2, the main 110,000+ square foot facility on the Bailey Power Plant block, which opened in February. Multiple office and retail tenants have already moved in and begun operations, with more announced over the last several weeks.

“This is exciting news for the continued evolvement of Bailey Power Plant and Innovation Quarter,” said Graydon Pleasants, head of real estate development for the Innovation Quarter. “The Front Street team has shown a unique vision for redeveloping these buildings that compliments the existing Bailey Power Plant and expands the vision for Innovation Quarter.”

Front Street Capital’s first phase is the redevelopment of Bailey South (corner of 4th Street and Patterson Ave), incorporating the original 10,000 square foot concrete structure and wrapping it with an additional 55,000-65,000 square feet of new retail and office space. The Morris Building, on the southwest corner of the block, will be redeveloped into over 20,000 square feet of additional retail space following the completion of Bailey South.

“The full development of the Bailey Power Plant block is a game-changer for downtown Winston-Salem,” commented Coleman Team, developer of the project with Front Street Capital. “Adding potentially an additional 100,000 square feet of space to the Bailey Power Plant block will create a lifestyle destination for our community and the surrounding region. Ultimately, this project will be the connection point for the broader community to experience the impact of the Innovation Quarter by providing retail, entertainment and culinary opportunities seven days a week.”

Stitch Design Shop as the project architect has been integral in turning a concept vision into a building design that will add to the overall vibrancy of the Innovation Quarter.

In addition, Front Street will work together with Wexford to further develop the vibrant outdoor communal spaces, including converting the old train trestles into walkways connected the various buildings.

Construction is expected to begin early fall with projected completion of Bailey South near the end of 2019. Landmark Builders will be the general contractor for both Bailey South and the Morris Building.

https://frontstreetcapitalnc.com/new...vation-quarter

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Bailey South, Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah we'll have to disagree. In my eyes when i look at Charlotte's closest peers i dont see much competition from Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, or even some of the bigger cities like St. louis, Baltimore, heck even phoenix at 4.7m. Especially with the height. Maybe its overall skyline doesnt match well against some of the other bigger cities but its height rivals cities much larger. And with what is still under construction or being proposed? Man. Most of that height is from the big banks and one of the largest energy companies. Without them then i could see Charlottes skyline being more normal for its size. To me it punches above its weight. But thats just my opinion.
For every peer you've named, there are smaller metros such as Austin, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh. Those 3 are very comparable to Charlotte. And Denver is only 300k larger than metro Charlotte, but that skyline is easily 30% larger. It all evens out in the end.

I'll admit that IF all current/proposed Charlotte projects are built, then YES Charlotte will certainly punch way above its weight class by 2025.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Bailey South

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina