Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,364,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I know it may seem cool from the outside looking in, however, downtown living is not what it's all cracked up to be.
First of all, I used to live uptown on the lower end of the economic spectrum. I'm not so sure where this "outside looking in" talk is coming from. Secondly, I don't plan on doing it until my nest is a little more empty. And finally, I'll be doing it with a wife (who earns just as much as I do) and rental income from a townhouse that's nearly paid off. Also, we don't make car payments; we pay cash for our cars. Some people in our situations choose to pay uptown-like prices in the burbs as they get older and pay off their first home. We choose to go the uptown route. Empty nesters in many metros throughout the country chooses one or the other. It's not a big deal my friend....

Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,678,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
First of all, I used to live uptown on the lower end of the economic spectrum. I'm not so sure where this "outside looking in" talk is coming from. Secondly, I don't plan on doing it until my nest is a little more empty. And finally, I'll be doing it with a wife (who earns just as much as I do) and rental income from a townhouse that's nearly paid off. Also, we don't make car payments; we pay cash for our cars. Some people in our situations choose to pay uptown-like prices in the burbs as they get older and pay off their first home. We choose to go the uptown route. Empty nesters in many metros throughout the country chooses one or the other. It's not a big deal my friend....
I've been in the exact situation. It was just a word of advice, that's all. Uptown is a very homogenous place in my opinion, but hey to each his own. You'll learn, No Pain No Gain... Investing in urban ventures sounds like a better idea IMO. You can never learn enough about financial responsibility and priorities.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,400,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
If you look at Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham and Winston Salem web sites, they also have a lot going on in construction. The Piedmont cities in NC are growing. This where the big action is in NC for jobs. Wilmington is growing but not like the piedmont cities.

I will post what is going on in Charlotte, but it is up to the members in other cities to post their share of development.
Wilmington is popping:

Looking up: New projects poised to change Wilmington skyline - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 03-09-2018, 03:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,445,159 times
I grew up in the Wilmington Area and glad to see it growing. The riverfront of downtown was a bad place to be when I grew up. Downtown has change so much.

I was on the USS North Carolina when it cane up the Cape Fear River.

I still have family in Wilmington.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,400,597 times
Front Street in downtown Wilmington may be my favorite street in NC. So many great restaurants, bars, stores, cool buildings, etc.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:09 PM

7,192 posts, read 6,848,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Front Street in downtown Wilmington may be my favorite street in NC. So many great restaurants, bars, stores, cool buildings, etc.
It’s been quite a few moons since I was last there. Definitely gonna have to check it out again when I get the chance.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:04 PM

Here are some gettyinages of downtown Raleigh. It does not look like it did when I was in Raleigh in the late 60s. I am sure more is to follow what is on these pictures.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/r...aleigh#license

Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 AM

459 posts, read 374,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Here are some gettyinages of downtown Raleigh. It does not look like it did when I was in Raleigh in the late 60s. I am sure more is to follow what is on these pictures.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/r...aleigh#license
Most of those photos are older than 3 years since the Charter Square tower is missing. Here's a more recent one with the soon to open Dillon tower and Union Train Station.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf98t6lhJGK/

Old 03-12-2018, 04:41 PM

Development ‘Popping Up Like Weeds’ Along Charlotte’s Newest Piece Of The Light Rail, Opening This Week

Charlotte Area Transit System CEO John Lewis will be on the first LYNX Light Rail Blue Line Extension train out of UNC Charlotte Friday. He will take it into Uptown, greeting new passengers along the way, then he will exit and join in the NCAA pre-game celebrations before the first game tips off.

The latest piece of the LYNX Light Rail has not even opened to the public yet, and it is already all anyone is talking about. Developers have rushed in to stake claims at stations all up and down the extension, with the stations closest to Center City in particular already showing a large increase in density.

https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/new...85974?rt=55748

Charlotte’s LYNX Blue Line: 10 Years Later

The LYNX Blue Line debuted 10 years ago this month with ceremoniously packed trains, and it has been shaping Charlotte ever since.

Development has swarmed along the rail line. The influx of high-density commercial, retail and residential has been anchored by the transit connecting the city center to its suburbs.

https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/new...ts-going-82819

Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,406,454 times
First look at the FNB tower in CLT. I think it looks great!

Ally tower got an increase to 28 floors as well & BofA got an increase in floors despite both being under construction. Office space gets sponged up in CLT.

There are a lot of tall towers going up. Intercontinental, FNB, Market, Ally, BofA. Then the residential/hotel towers around the size of Skyhouse: Ally hotel, Novel Stonewall, Northwood Ravin Tower, the tower on Graham street, Grand Bohemian. That should push GSO’s tallest as CLT’s 22nd tallest (for perspective)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 03-14-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina