Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,939 times

Advertisements

Wilmington Downtown Inc is hosting a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Flats on Front 300 unit Apartment complex on Thursday this week....here is an article describing the development which will overlook the new North Waterfront Park and sit in the shadows of the PPD Headquarters...

Developers buy downtown property for $4.35M | WilmingtonBiz

Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 AM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
They specifically indicated that traffic patterns changed from the 2000 census. There was a major difference now that I-140 was built in people using I-40 to go to Myrtle Beach because they could bypass Wilmington traffic. That huge traffic increase necessitated the State in widening the causeway on 74 (because I-140 wasn't completed) and just recently finish I-140.

Meanwhile the incoming traffic over the bridge from Brunswick into New Hanover has increased significantly (because of all of the development in Leland).
True, but I'd imagine that the Census Bureau/OMB has a method for accounting for actual commuters since that's the entire basis of metropolitan areas to begin with.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but I'd imagine that the Census Bureau/OMB has a method for accounting for actual commuters since that's the entire basis of metropolitan areas to begin with.
They track commuting between counties...and specifically work time commuting. Tourists using Brunswick Co to get to Myrtle Beach makes it appear that Brunswick is tied more to Horry Co then New Hanover Co...and the Census Bureau refuses to split up a county, which would be more indicative of the situation with metros on either side.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
They track commuting between counties...and specifically work time commuting. Tourists using Brunswick Co to get to Myrtle Beach makes it appear that Brunswick is tied more to Horry Co then New Hanover Co...and the Census Bureau refuses to split up a county, which would be more indicative of the situation with metros on either side.
I find it extremely hard to believe that the Census Bureau/OMB doesn't have a mechanism for distinguishing between tourists and commuters--commuters meaning people traveling to work, especially given the fact that tourism is highly seasonal in nature and traffic patterns wouldn't be consistent throughout the year. This just doesn't strike me as feasible.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I find it extremely hard to believe that the Census Bureau/OMB doesn't have a mechanism for distinguishing between tourists and commuters--commuters meaning people traveling to work, especially given the fact that tourism is highly seasonal in nature and traffic patterns wouldn't be consistent throughout the year. This just doesn't strike me as feasible.
A Task force disputed the OMB office change...noting the commuting patterns...here is an article on it...

Spark Ideas OpEd: Time to again push for MSA change | WilmingtonBiz

Word is through the grapevine that OMB has basically agreed with this task force regarding commuting patterns and will switch it back to Wilmington once the bypass was finished and additional growth in Northern Brunswick occurred...one indicator is high school size where North Brunswick (Leland) jumped from 1-A to 3-A, and West Brunswick (Shallotte) jumped from 2-A to 3-A since the switch. Brunswick is also leading the State of NC in growth at over 4% a year. Leland's growth rate is moving at almost a 6% clip every year since 2013. OMB also argued that it is hard to take commuting patterns into account in some tourist communities because of the non residents commuting patterns. Its hard to distinguish between residential and non residential. We'll see what happens.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
A Task force disputed the OMB office change...noting the commuting patterns...here is an article on it...

Spark Ideas OpEd: Time to again push for MSA change | WilmingtonBiz

Word is through the grapevine that OMB has basically agreed with this task force regarding commuting patterns and will switch it back to Wilmington once the bypass was finished and additional growth in Northern Brunswick occurred...one indicator is high school size where North Brunswick (Leland) jumped from 1-A to 3-A, and West Brunswick (Shallotte) jumped from 2-A to 3-A since the switch. Brunswick is also leading the State of NC in growth at over 4% a year. Leland's growth rate is moving at almost a 6% clip every year since 2013. OMB also argued that it is hard to take commuting patterns into account in some tourist communities because of the non residents commuting patterns. Its hard to distinguish between residential and non residential. We'll see what happens.
Thanks for sharing this. Apparently the OMB made a huge fumble here if the stats clearly show nearly 80% of workers remaining in Brunswick or commuting to surrounding NC counties. I'm actually very surprised that this happened and I wonder how many other metropolitan areas were shorted for similar reasons.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM

The largest container ship ever pulled into Wilmington's port today...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...iner-ship-ever

As much as 12,000 containers from Asia.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,840,373 times
The first article of a 3-part series on the redevelopment of Rocky Mount Mills and other developments in the area.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/04...-play-complex/

Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,443,458 times
U.S. Bank to expand retail presence with first branch in Charlotte

U.S. Bancorp (NYSE: USB) is expanding its retail presence into North Carolina with its first branch in Charlotte.
The new branch will be at 201 S. Tryon St. in uptown. That space previously housed Dean & Deluca, a full-service coffee station, cafe and wine bar that shuttered its operations about a year ago. The space has remained vacant until now.
U.S. Bank's uptown retail branch is set to open in the fall. The plan is to add 10 more branches by the end of 2020. Those locations are yet to be determined, but a spokesperson for U.S Bank confirmed that executives are eyeing the Charlotte metro area.

U.S. Bank already employs about 800 people here in corporate and commercial banking, investment services, risk and compliance and mortgage. It entered the Charlotte market when it acquired Wachovia Corp.'s corporate trust business in 2006.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,735,161 times
Quote:
The largest container ship ever pulled into Wilmington's port today...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...iner-ship-ever

As much as 12,000 containers from Asia.
Man that's amazing. I'm sure looking up at that my mouth would just be hanging there dumbstruck.

I found a video of the install of those two new massive neo-Panamax cranes from a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGuqnOTPro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina