Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times

Advertisements

The Van Alen in Durham. You can see down the street all the residential that has been built recently.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
The Van Alen in Durham. You can see down the street all the residential that has been built recently.

This photo highlights some of the nice aspects of uniform building height and maintaining a human scale.

I like it!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m confused why any urban area wouldn’t aspire to be like North Hills in ways? Sure, a Metro stop and more bike lanes would be great.... but it doesn’t change that i think North Hills is a great model for pedestrian experience, place making, etc.

And we’re actually in agreement. I don’t think North Hills is that similar to Arlington. This conversation actually got started when I was looking for a place in Raleigh and said “I think I’ll like North Hills, despite not liking Arlington.” North Hills to me, were I to make a DC metro area comparison, it would be to Navy Yard or the Wharf (obviously minus a river). Reminds me of a bigger, much bigger, Birkdale Village in the CLT area. I never been to Atlantic Station, but I imagine North Hills is a slightly better version of it.
The D.C. metro area including Baltimore is an intense, high-stress, fast-paced region of country, arguably more than NYC due to having to travel by car for the most part.

The stress comes from not-enough breathing room between businesses, homes, etc, and the streets seldom have left turn lane or signals, which aren't good things necessarily, but it is very stressful when you must make a left turn and you know 50 cars behind you are stopped because of it.

North Hills is a wonderful addition for Raleigh, but's not perfect.

I like the visible, tall-for-Raleigh buildings, but Six Forks Rd isn't great, and I don't think the surrounding area is full of people of all age groups.

The housing component is mostly senior housing I think, and the shops in North Hills don't seem like everyday hangouts.

Other than the gym (that has horridly bad lighting in the weight-room) and Target, I don't see people regularly hanging out there, but I could be wrong.

ATLANTIC STATION in Atlanta is a shopping, housing development built on top of a brownfield. It has thousands of apartments in EFIS-clad buildings (apts. nice inside) that are at least 50% section 8, and a faux downtown center that is nothing to write home about. I wouldn't choose to live there mostly because it's on the other side of freeway, but I would if I had to. OVERALL GRADE: C_+

Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
So... any actual NC development news to share in this thread?
Sorry for the Kane infomercial, now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The D.C. metro area including Baltimore is an intense, high-stress, fast-paced region of country, arguably more than NYC due to having to travel by car for the most part.
DC/Baltimore more high-stress and fast-paced than NYC? Absolutely not.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times
Durham is the city I would live in if I moved back to North Carolina! Just an impressive transformation. Tragic what happened to its light rail plans.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Event Center to host state gymnastics championships - Rocky Mount Telegram

Old 04-16-2019, 07:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...rt-grants.aspx

Quote:
The N.C. Board of Transportation earlier this month approved state and federal grants for safety improvements to six North Carolina airports.

More than $2.1 million in funding will be used to provide upgrades such as new lighting and improved aprons for aircraft parking.

At Davidson County Airport, funds will be used to replace an aging glideslope system. This crucial piece of safety equipment sends a signal to aircraft and lets pilots know if they are approaching the runway at too steep or two shallow of an angle.

“The new glideslope system is vital not only for the safety of pilots, but for economic development opportunities as well," said John Gray, chairman of the Davidson County Airport Authority. “Anyone looking to locate their aircraft or business here wants to know, above all else, that we have the fully functioning safety and navigational systems that they expect."

The projects the N.C. Board of Transportation approved are:

$690,750 to design the runway, taxiway and apron rehabilitation, with apron expansion, at Burlington-Alamance Regional Airport

$562,500 to replace the glideslope system at Davidson County Airport

$157,500 to design an approach lighting system at Duplin County Airport

$261,000 to design the parallel taxiway pavement rehabilitation at Kinston Regional Jetport,

$180,000 for the design of an apron pavement rehabilitation at Mount Airy-Surry County Airport, and

$270,000 for environmental assessments at Richmond County Airport.

North Carolina airports serve as a vital economic engine connecting people and business enterprises worldwide. They are among the primary economic drivers in their communities. Airports and aviation-related industries contribute more than $52 billion to North Carolina's economy each year, according to a 2019 report. They support 307,000 jobs, and generate more than $2.2 billion in tax revenue and more than $12.6 billion in personal income.

The funds awarded do not necessarily represent the total cost of the project.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Ally Charlotte Center (Right) Legacy Union 2 (Left) distancecrane FNB bank Constuction

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
New Segra Stadium in downtown Fayetteville looks really nice, I was just there this weekend:

https://www.fayobserver.com/photogal...413009986/PH/1

A Hyatt Place Hotel is supposed to go up next to the stadium as well, on top of the parking deck that is still being built now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.