Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM

6,162 posts, read 7,237,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Rail Trail in Soutend Charlotte

Photo fro Rail Yard
Thats awesome. Greensboro doesn't seem to have foresight. The city will rip up an abandoned rail line going out of downtown to the northwest part of town to create a Greenway. The smartest thing the city could do is create a Greenway parallel to the tracks. At some point in the future, Greensboro will get light rail. If they leave the tracks, there would be no need to build new tracks when it does happen. The city needs to start thinking 20, 30 and 40 years down the road.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,150,313 times
Charlotte is inching closer to landing a 4-year med school. Would be nice for Charlotte to shake the distinction of the largest city without one.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...229060864.html

Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Charlotte is inching closer to landing a 4-year med school. Would be nice for Charlotte to shake the distinction of the largest city without one.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...229060864.html
Why not just have Wake Forest University uproot and relocate to Charlotte? That would be keeping in line with historical precedent.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,862,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why not just have Wake Forest University uproot and relocate to Charlotte? That would be keeping in line with historical precedent.
Bank money is the new tobacco money.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,443,458 times
Charlotte RailTrail

About — Charlotte Rail Trail

Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,946,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Thats awesome. Greensboro doesn't seem to have foresight. The city will rip up an abandoned rail line going out of downtown to the northwest part of town to create a Greenway. The smartest thing the city could do is create a Greenway parallel to the tracks. At some point in the future, Greensboro will get light rail. If they leave the tracks, there would be no need to build new tracks when it does happen. The city needs to start thinking 20, 30 and 40 years down the road.
You should research whether the track size is the same and if light rail is using old tracks elsewhere in the country.

NC's first railroad was the Raleigh Gaston Railroad that went through my home county (Franklin) beginning in 1840.

The track isn't in use now, and I'm not sure if that's the same line that will be resurrected to make a beeline for Richmond, ultimately connecting NC to fast acela-like service in the Northeast. In 15 years maybe?

Trump has given NC money to separate crossings along this defunct track so that's a good sign.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Nice, a lot like Atlanta's Beltline.

The only thing that concerns me is too many nooks and crannies that could hide criminals at night.

I only feel safe walking at night when I have 100' feet of clear space around me, because most muggings are easy opportunities from being close together to be pounced upon.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I have been to 7th Street and can say Morgan Street to me is better and has more options. Also check out Trading Co Food Hall(2nd food hall on the opposite end of Davie St.) Morgan St. Pit, Videri, and BoxCar are all in the warehouse district, so even if you do end up eating at the Pit, you can hit up the Bar at Morgan St and get something light if you still have room.

If you have never had the greatness that is Bulgogi or Korean Fried Chicken try out Seoul 116 on west st not to far from Glenwood south

(Bulgogi Sliders)

(Korean Fried Chicken wings...it's saucy but still crispy and delicious)

I'm going to follow this up with suggesting a vegan restaurant lol Fiction Kitchen is the truth. it's on Dawson St which is not that far from the Pit and the Boxcar. Half the people that go are not even vegan the food is just that damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIe8SnjTdxo&t=149s

chicken in waffles is good but you can in fact tell it's not chicken but the vegan bbq taste as good as any bbq joint NO LIE the burger is the absolute truth too

how it actually looks too when you get it.

It's popular but it's good, Beasley's Chicken and Honey on Wilmington St. Try the Carolina Reaper Hot Chicken Sandwich if you can handle something that is actually hot(some places hot chicken just isn't hot enough at all for me)

can't really go wrong with the Chicken and Waffles

You can Try Brewery Bhavana on blount st. Not too far from city market where Big Eds is

I can keep going but just explore what you can of course you not going to get to go every where in one trip but since you said you wanted to Hit up North Hills too, they are actually really close, from glenwood south just stay on glenwood ave which will take you to five points, follow glenwood to anderson and it will take you right there.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...226895399.html

https://www.transfercofoodhall.com/#meet-our-vendors
Raleigh folks always come up with cool names for bars and restaurants.....

Fiction Kitchen is clever for a vegan joint

The Office nightclub

Death and Taxes bar

Old 04-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The rail trail is now up there too. A few years ago it wasn’t great. Not enough shade. Not enough scenery. But with all the improvements, developments, etc it’s so awesome to run.

Also, I love the greenway that goes from the panthers stadium wrapping around 277 to Frazier dog park along the Irwin creek greenway. Those 3 were among my favorite places.

North Meck District Park Bike trail was probably my overall favorite in the county to walk/run. Jetton Park & the dog park/swimming area also was another favorite.

I never was a big fan of the big park over near the university area or Latta.

Born in ‘92, growing up when I was like 5, I loved going to walk at the airport with my mom. Carve your name into the trees, Jump around on the workout things. Obviously when they constructed the new runway it was all tore down.

Also loved growing up I think somewhere Mathews-ish area, there was a long greenway that connected multiple apartment complexes.

Ballantyne has a great greenway system that is very long and goes through some swampy areas.

I absolutely love greenways. My favorite things to do.
Has anyone mentioned NC's mountains to see trail which is a trail almost completely connected from one of the tallest mountains, perhaps Grandfather, all the way to the Outerbanks passing through every terrain possible including metro suburbs passing by people's kitchen windows?

https://mountainstoseatrail.org/

Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,443,458 times
Atrium Health has signed a letter of intent with Wake Forest Baptist Health and Wake Forest University to develop a partnership that would bring a four-year medical school to Charlotte.

The groups announced the letter today and look to sign an agreement by the end of the year.
“Phenomenal things can happen when like-minded partners, committed to the same transformative vision, come together in new ways to better serve our patients and communities,” said Gene Woods, president and CEO of Atrium Health, in a statement. "We can truly transform health care throughout North Carolina and far beyond."
Plans include building a Wake Forest School of Medicine campus in Charlotte that would be the region's first four-year medical school.
Few details are available about the impending partnership and what it means for each group's operations. Atrium said it is "the very beginning of in-depth discussions."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.