Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 30,914 times

Advertisements

I moved to Goldsboro about 4 months ago, and would like to start attending church, especially now that Great Lent has begun. There's no shortage of churches around here. However, I'm Eastern Orthodox, and unfortunately there just aren't many Orthodox churches in NC, especially in my part of the state. The nearest ones to me are still about an hour away. There is a Greek mission in Greenville, but I can't locate any information about it other than the name.

Are there any other Orthodox Christians on this forum, especially in the Eastern Carolina area? Which church do you attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
gz1

1 posts, read 4,523 times
Hey. I was looking for the same info when I came upon your question on the forum. I just moved to the area about 4 days ago and am attempting to find an Orthodox church in the Greenville area. As of right now, I've found only one church in the area - Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church in Greenville. Their website is: [url=http://greenvilleorthodox.com/index.php]Greenville, NC Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church. Services for Orthodox Christians in Eastern North Carolina[/url] .

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM

32 posts, read 246,648 times
Default Orthodox Churches in Eastern NC

Eastern NC is a big area, so not all churches are going to be convenient for you, but this is what I know of, starting from the northern part of eastern NC:

Edenton: St. George Orthodox Home (OCA)

Greenville: Nativity of the Holy Theotokos Orthodox Church, Greenville, NC (GOARCH)

Fayetteville: Welcome to St. Nicholas Orthodox Mission - Home (OCA)
home - Sts. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church (GOARCH)

Wilmington: Wilmington Mission of the Orthodox Church In America (OCA)
home - St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church (GOARCH)

These are the only ones I know of.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 66,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralston View Post
Eastern NC is a big area, so not all churches are going to be convenient for you, but this is what I know of, starting from the northern part of eastern NC:

Greenville: Nativity of the Holy Theotokos Orthodox Church, Greenville, NC (GOARCH)
These are the only ones I know of.
Thank you ralston for linking to our mission, but I need to make a factual correction.

The Greek Archdiocese (GOARCH) indeed maintains a mission in Greenville, which is mentioned above in this thread.

Our mission, Nativity of the Holy Theotokos, is a mission parish of the Greek Old Calendar Orthodox Church under Metropolitan Pavlos in Astoria, NY. We are not affiliated with the Greek Archdiocese which is on the New Calendar. Any Orthodox person (or non-Orthodox for that matter) is welcome to worship with us, but I wouldn't want there to be any confusion about our affiliation.

In Christ,

Father Anastasios Hudson
Priest @ Nativity of the Holy Theotokos Orthodox Church in Greenville, NC

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 AM

32 posts, read 246,648 times
Default I stand corrected.

Thank you, Father, for pointing things out for me. I just made an assumption about your being a part of GOARCH. Sorry about that.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
Default Orthodox Mission in Eastern NC

Greetings,
a small group of followers and I are starting an Italo-Greek Orthodox Mission in Havelock, NC. This is an Old Calender church and a little bit of a drive from you, but we would love to have you join us. You can email me at bogdahn@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Chad Bogdahn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina