Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 AM

8 posts, read 17,402 times

Advertisements

I've kind of narrowed down my relocation spots to Eastern TN or Western NC. I would like an area 2,000+ feet elevation to avoid some of the coastal summer heat and humidity..

Eastern TN would be around the Sewanee area because of the UofS and programs to attend, and I like to swim laps for exercise, and they have the Fowler area with a pool.

Western NC, like Asheville and Jefferson, same thing.

I'm a single senior citizen, so some senior activities would make my life more enjoyable. I'm not looking for a place to just store myself.. I'd like to have a bit of fun along the way as well. I'm also not looking to be hidden away out in the woods. I'd like to have a few restaurants and necessary shopping not too far away, as well as medical facilities.

I've been in touch with several realtor's and will be heading down from CT after Thanksgiving. Not the best time to visit, but I have a deadline for moving that can't be changed.

Would like to hear from anyone with any comments about the above, and thank you for any comments.....Arne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 PM

745 posts, read 2,210,033 times
It sounds with the cooler summers that you may be the happiest in Asheville. There's also a ton of events that go on there as its a local tourist destination with Biltmore and other local attractions. Its more mountainous, but probably also the best-known city in western NC with plenty of restaurant selections, good hospitals, etc. You may also want to consider Johnson City. ETSU is there with a lot of events and recreational facilities. But also spend some time away from the real estate agents and just see what kind of feeling you get from the cities and if you could picture yourself there. I still think you best described Asheville but you never know how the local area will strike you.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 AM

I think could live near Asheville, but not in it.. it has become a destination of choice for retirees because of the reasons you mentioned... so demand has driven up the prices of housing.. but towns close by are still reasonable. I'd like to find a house/home for about 150k if I could.

I still plan on taking a trip down next month and starting in New Bern, near the coast, work my way to Hickory, then Asheville and over to Sewanee.. to get that feeling you talk about of seeing the area... I don't think I'd like to live in New Bern for several reasons, chief amongst them, the summer heat and humidity..

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM

114 posts, read 618,567 times
I'm from East Tennessee (near the park), and I prefer Western North Carolina. Look into Black Mountain, Waynesville, Swannanoa, Spindale, etc.

In East TN, have you looked at Maryville? It's just outside Knoxville, it has a college (my alma mater) and it's popular with retirees. It's very close to the mountains and the University of Tennessee.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM

got it, thank you.. am starting to get some focus on the area I'll be looking at. These notes and input have been helpful...Arne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina