Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 PM

110 posts, read 456,147 times

Advertisements

is very different from anything I've ever experienced! And I'm loving it! I hadn't been called "Miss Robin" since my Sunday-School teaching days, years ago, until I moved here just over a month ago. It's quite a change for my teenage son, too. I'm hoping it will rub off on him! He could use some help in the way of manners.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I have been pleasantly surprised on so many occasions. The first week in our house, our next-door neighbors brought us brownies and others stopped by to meet us. In Oregon we lived in a house for 3 years and never met most of our neighbors. I've been to the bank here just a few times, but the teller already seems to know me, and she always calls me Miss Robin. The lady that works at the ice cream shop up the road already knows what my son is going to order when we come in (his "usual" large vanilla shake) He has been very impressed by her friendliness. Even his long hair and west-coast style doesn't get in the way.

And to think I was worried that we wouldn't fit in..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Respect from children does still seem to be the rule here near Greenville too. When we first moved here I got quite the surprise from the 15 year old boy across the street. He "Sir'd" me. All of the children I've been around have been very polite to both me and my wife. Of course then I do know how the parents instill this "respect" and I don't approve of it. I have seen the respect lesson first hand and I never did that to either of my children.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,382 times
Wow-Richard you must live near me I live in Farmville about 15 min from greenville my son and i have been here about 8 mths-and I agree with what you are saying with the way the parents around here instill respect in their kids-don't agree with that at all & I have to say with all the fighting in my sons middle school-you know where it starts. Robin I have to ask what area you in?? Took these kids a long time to get past my sons surfer boy look! teased constantly because he doesn't have that redneck look-sorry i just am not impressed with this area on so many levels-where are you? Maybe if i moved to the coast?? Or Western Carolina?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,382 times
Richard do/did your kids go to school here? were you happy with the schools? Can you make any recommendations to me My son is 12 and farmville middle is chaotic and just not a good learning environment. It seems like they don't encourage the kids here They just push them through-so different from the school district we came from-thanks for any input-from anyone in this area.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
We just moved from Bailey (to PA), which is just outside of Wilson, NC for this very reason. We felt it was not a good school system, nor a good environment to raise a child. We already feel better about where we are (and we moved 10 days ago!). I am sure the larger cities aren't as bad though....maybe....

Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal
Richard do/did your kids go to school here? were you happy with the schools? Can you make any recommendations to me My son is 12 and farmville middle is chaotic and just not a good learning environment. It seems like they don't encourage the kids here
I'm just south of Greenville 4 miles east of Ayden. Both of my kids are all grown up and did not go to school here. Before you start looking at other places why don't you take a tour of some of the schools over here in Greenville? There is a much higher percentage of college types living here and I suspect the schools may be a lot better. The Conley school district is the district that everyone wants their kids in here so it must be pretty good.

My wife and I looked at Farmville before settling on Greenville and it really was a no brainer. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Farmville but it hasn't seen the money that Greenville has and it's a little too country for me.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
yeah, just looking at Farmville Middle on schoolmatters.com, 60% of the enrolled students qualify as 'Economically disadvantaged'. It makes perfect sense that it is a mediocre school.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
is very different from anything I've ever experienced! And I'm loving it! I hadn't been called "Miss Robin" since my Sunday-School teaching days, years ago, until I moved here just over a month ago. It's quite a change for my teenage son, too. I'm hoping it will rub off on him! He could use some help in the way of manners.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I have been pleasantly surprised on so many occasions. The first week in our house, our next-door neighbors brought us brownies and others stopped by to meet us. In Oregon we lived in a house for 3 years and never met most of our neighbors. I've been to the bank here just a few times, but the teller already seems to know me, and she always calls me Miss Robin. The lady that works at the ice cream shop up the road already knows what my son is going to order when we come in (his "usual" large vanilla shake) He has been very impressed by her friendliness. Even his long hair and west-coast style doesn't get in the way.

And to think I was worried that we wouldn't fit in..........
Robin, so good to hear an update on your situation, thanks for posting! I am happy you are enjoying your new home town so much

Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
yeah, just looking at Farmville Middle on schoolmatters.com, 60% of the enrolled students qualify as 'Economically disadvantaged'. It makes perfect sense that it is a mediocre school.
Sad that "economically disadvantaged" implies "mediocre school."

It is true that parents with multiple jobs often have less time to push their children academically. I guess that's where the correlation comes in?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 AM

70 posts, read 314,125 times
jenson beach, hi, I was thinking about moving to the charlotte area, but I am a liberal progressive person, now I'm wondering if I should move to pa ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina