Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM

13,377 posts, read 27,097,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Don't they have a runoff if no one has the majority?
Just in this case of the special election, there is no run-off. So if the top candidtae won only 40% of the vote, he would still go on the general election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,925,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
District 10 had 4 Republicans & one Democrat. Unless someone wanted to vote for a Republican, there was no contest. Is that difficult to understand? I don't think so.
In the link I was referring to, there were a total of 24 democrats running for various districts.

Is that difficult to understand? I don't think so.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
In the link I was referring to, there were a total of 24 democrats running for various districts.

Is that difficult to understand? I don't think so.
You have to look at the individual districts to see if there's an actual race or just one candidate to make the assumption that you made. District 12 had enough Democrats on the ballot to make it look like there were races in every district if you're only looking at a total for the state.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You have to look at the individual districts to see if there's an actual race or just one candidate to make the assumption that you made. District 12 had enough Democrats on the ballot to make it look like there were races in every district if you're only looking at a total for the state.
I looked at all the ones in the link that was provided. While some were republican only, which is strange, there were multiple races with both parties......not just one.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I looked at all the ones in the link that was provided. While some were republican only, which is strange, there were multiple races with both parties......not just one.
I live in District 10. We had 1 democrat. That's not a race. Since I'm Unaffiliated I didn't bother. I did vote for a judge. I did that by asking for an unaffiliated ballot. I've explained this 3 times. You continue to argue the point.

I think that I know what I'm talking about. I live in District 10. Not only do you not live in District 10, you do not live in NC. Yet you seem to want to be right, regardless. Go ahead & feel right. I think that 3 times is enough explanation.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I live in District 10. We had 1 democrat. That's not a race. Since I'm Unaffiliated I didn't bother. I did vote for a judge. I did that by asking for an unaffiliated ballot. I've explained this 3 times. You continue to argue the point.

I think that I know what I'm talking about. I live in District 10. Not only do you not live in District 10, you do not live in NC. Yet you seem to want to be right, regardless. Go ahead & feel right. I think that 3 times is enough explanation.
You are talking about one specific district and I am talking about all the districts in the link. That is the only difference.

BTW - Congrats on being Unaffiliated. I am as well. It is the only way to go. I wouldn't want my name associated with either party.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
You are talking about one specific district and I am talking about all the districts in the link. That is the only difference.

BTW - Congrats on being Unaffiliated. I am as well. It is the only way to go. I wouldn't want my name associated with either party.
We already voted for federal representation in March but the courts threw out the racially gerrymandered districts, leaving the politically gerrymandered districts unscathed. That meant revoting for representatives & voting for state Supreme Court because another shady law was thrown out in the courts.

Why would people break their necks to revote?

Some of the districts are so badly gerrymandered, politically, that democrats don't waste their time, energy, & money to run. They added Asheville & Gastonia to district 10 to cancel each other out. This is a district that has Lincoln County, which is redder than red. Right now, people around here are angry. They are not happy with Raleigh. They don't like paying more to give people like Art Pope less taxes.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
We already voted for federal representation in March but the courts threw out the racially gerrymandered districts, leaving the politically gerrymandered districts unscathed. That meant revoting for representatives & voting for state Supreme Court because another shady law was thrown out in the courts.

Some of the districts are so badly gerrymandered, politically, that democrats don't waste their time, energy, & money to run. They added Asheville & Gastonia to district 10 to cancel each other out. This is a district that has Lincoln County, which is redder than red. Right now, people around here are angry. They are not happy with Raleigh. They don't like paying more to give people like Art Pope less taxes.
I have noticed that in many posts.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy
The total aggregate number of candidates running for either party is irrelevant. FWIW, there were 17 () Republican candidates in District 13. What matters is the number of contested primaries for each party. Here is some information to support the point that Southbound has been making:

NC Congressional Districts – June 7 Primary – # Candidates by Party
# 1 - no primary
# 2 - 3 Republicans, 5 Democrats
# 3 - 3 Republicans, 2 Democrats
# 4 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 5 - 2 Republicans, 3 Democrats
# 6 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 7 - no primary
# 8 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 9 - 3 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 10 - 4 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 11 - no Republican primary, 2 Democrats
# 12 - 3 Republicans, 7 Democrats
# 13 - 17 Republicans, 5 Democrats

In summary, for 13 congressional districts, there were 10 Republican primaries and 6 Democrat primaries. I think we can infer from that, that some districts so completely favor one party, there's little incentive for the minority party in a given district to field multiple candidates, particularly when there is a strong incumbent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295

I would like to correct one statement... there was no congressional voting in March. The original congressional candidates were pulled off the March ballot, and a new filing period was opened for the new districts. The only time we voted for congressional candidates was in June.

As for the NC Supreme Court race, Edmunds got 48% of the vote. If there had been only 2 candidates and Morgan had received ALL of the other votes, he would have led the ticket. There was a big chunk of votes for the unaffiliated candidate, and it's highly unlikely that Morgan would have received all of the other candidates' votes. So even though there are more registered Democrats in NC than Republicans (2.6 million vs. 2.0 million vs. 1.9 other), I think it's reasonable to say that Edmunds had a better chance at leading the ballot with so many more Republican primaries in play, not to mention that he's the incumbent.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The total aggregate number of candidates running for either party is irrelevant. FWIW, there were 17 () Republican candidates in District 13. What matters is the number of contested primaries for each party. Here is some information to support the point that Southbound has been making:

NC Congressional Districts – June 7 Primary – # Candidates by Party
# 1 - no primary
# 2 - 3 Republicans, 5 Democrats
# 3 - 3 Republicans, 2 Democrats
# 4 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 5 - 2 Republicans, 3 Democrats
# 6 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 7 - no primary
# 8 - 2 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 9 - 3 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 10 - 4 Republicans, no Democrat primary
# 11 - no Republican primary, 2 Democrats
# 12 - 3 Republicans, 7 Democrats
# 13 - 17 Republicans, 5 Democrats

In summary, for 13 congressional districts, there were 10 Republican primaries and 6 Democrat primaries. I think we can infer from that, that some districts so completely favor one party, there's little incentive for the minority party in a given district to field multiple candidates, particularly when there is a strong incumbent.

I would like to correct one statement... there was no congressional voting in March. The original congressional candidates were pulled off the March ballot, and a new filing period was opened for the new districts. The only time we voted for congressional candidates was in June.

As for the NC Supreme Court race, Edmunds got 48% of the vote. If there had been only 2 candidates and Morgan had received ALL of the other votes, he would have led the ticket. There was a big chunk of votes for the unaffiliated candidate, and it's highly unlikely that Morgan would have received all of the other candidates' votes. So even though there are more registered Democrats in NC than Republicans (2.6 million vs. 2.0 million vs. 1.9 other), I think it's reasonable to say that Edmunds had a better chance at leading the ballot with so many more Republican primaries in play, not to mention that he's the incumbent.
Thanks for the district by district description.

In March, in spite of my age, I was feeling the Bern, so asked for a Democratic ballot. I did vote for the Democratic candidate then. I had heard that those candidates were removed, but I definitely voted for him. I was surprised to see the name there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina