Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 AM

605 posts, read 805,482 times

Advertisements

North Carolina
A great read if you have the time.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-12-2016 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: link fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
North Carolina
A great read if you have the time.
I made the time. Welcome to the New South ...same as the old South! This state needs a governor who might be wearing an outfit under his suit with an "S" on it and a cape, to reign in the recalcitrant legislature.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:35 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
North Carolina seems a little like Arizona in this regard, where the politicians (Joe Arpaio and his ilk) single mindedly espouse extreme right wing views and rhetoric, but its general population (at least averaged out across the state) is more moderate. Which is probably both the fault of the voters and the politicians.

The politicians are pandering to their far right wing constituents and have a distorted view that the state as a whole really thinks the way they do. And voters haven't been paying enough attention to who they're voting in office, and get suckered in over hot button issues that politicians typically use to get people's emotions riled up, whether they're based in fact or their practical ability to do anything about them or not.

And so many politicians in the state nowadays who have taken the state to the far right politically flippantly dismiss and hold contempt against the "liberal population." This differs from the more reasonable and open conservative political leaders of yesteryear, such as Governor Jim Martin or Congressman Howard Coble (people in the Triad will be familiar with him), both Republicans who believed they represented everyone in the state, whether they shared their precise political worldviews or not, and conducted themselves in a way that wasn't so dismissive and abandoning of their constituents, but listened and acted in the best interest of the state and its people.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-12-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM

601 posts, read 965,054 times
Well, I would argue we still are a moderate to progressive state. Hell, the only reason McCrory was elected was on the premise that he would be a moderate Republican, one hailed from a blue city. And on the national level, we went from a pure red state, one that voted in Republican presidents for about twenty straight years, to now a battleground state, where a Democratic candidate was able to win in 2008, and only barely lost in 2012.

The biggest problem now is turnout during midterm elections, and the redistricting that took place in 2010. The latter is being fixed by the federal courts, and the former is something Democrats need to create a solution for.

I will completely recant my comment if Republicans win the governorship, lieutenant governorship, and attorney general position this Fall. If North Carolina is happy with what McCrory and crew have done so far, then yes, we've regressed into a reactionary state.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
I will completely recant my comment if Republicans win the governorship, lieutenant governorship, and attorney general position this Fall. If North Carolina is happy with what McCrory and crew have done so far, then yes, we've regressed into a reactionary state.
My prediction:

The exurban and rural counties that always vote to the Extreme Right will still vote for McCrory and same General Assembly that has taken the state down the path it's gone in the last few years.

The counties (i.e. Durham and Orange) that strongly support liberal Democratic candidates (not just the "blue dog conservative Democrats") will continue to do so and vote heavily Democrat.

The purple counties, like Guilford, are the ones where things will be interesting, but I think they'll trend towards Democrats on the state level (although they could go the opposite direction at the national level).

Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 PM

601 posts, read 965,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
My prediction:

The exurban and rural counties that always vote to the Extreme Right will still vote for McCrory and same General Assembly that has taken the state down the path it's gone in the last few years.

The counties (i.e. Durham and Orange) that strongly support liberal Democratic candidates (not just the "blue dog conservative Democrats") will continue to do so and vote heavily Democrat.

The purple counties, like Guilford, are the ones where things will be interesting, but I think they'll trend towards Democrats on the state level (although they could go the opposite direction at the national level).
I actually think Guilford is a solid blue. During 2012, Guilford was one of the few urban counties that didn't vote for McCrory, whereas Wake, Mecklenburg, and Forsyth did. They also voted at a higher percentage for Obama (both times) and Kay Hagan than Wake did.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 AM

605 posts, read 805,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
I pray from the depths of my soul that this doesn't happen.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,874 times
In due course, the News and Observer may be a myth. They are certainly headed in that direction.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
In due course, the News and Observer may be a myth. They are certainly headed in that direction.
As are the majority of newsprint orgs that don't evolve or diversify content delivery platform via digital print to replace outdated revenue streams such as the traditional paper copy.

I do know that GOP are unconditional sticklers to a lost cause regardless of repercussions and just don't care about the outcome and have convinced themselves that the good Lawd/universe is on their side. They'll shut down the government, cause irreparable damage to own self's perception and irreversibly damage the economic well-being of others to be so-called "right" - then have a slumber party to celebrate the victory as the universal "truth". It's a sad ass mental condition that I am afraid can only be cured in the afterlife....if there is one.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
As are the majority of newsprint orgs that don't evolve or diversify content delivery platform via digital print to replace outdated revenue streams such as the traditional paper copy.
Yes, and it seems that the N&O is well along that path to oblivion.

Quote:

I do know that GOP are unconditional sticklers to a lost cause regardless of repercussions and just don't care about the outcome and have convinced themselves that the good Lawd/universe is on their side. They'll shut down the government, cause irreparable damage to own self's perception or economic well-being to be so-called "right" or convey their perception of the "truth". It's a sad ass mental condition that I am afraid can only be cured in the afterlife....if there is one.
I think that you are wrong. The actual issues are of minor importance to both sides; they are only fodder. It is simply a pissing contest between two groups of politicians who despise each other, in a culture that has become frightfully polarized, aided and abetted by sources like the N&O who are desperate for raisons d'etre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina