Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

[quote=Hamish Forbes;44047029 Remember that this particular tempest-in-a-teapot didn't originate in the Legislature.[/QUOTE]

The he-started-it defense doesn't really work much past kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 AM

North Carolina may be moderate by southern standards, but hardly moderate compared to the rest of the nation.

The Marriage Amendment that the legislature approved by a wide majority was declared unconstitutional by federal courts.

North Carolina Supreme Court ruled that state lawmakers had violated the constitutional rights of veteran teachers when they retroactively stripped them of their tenure protections.

HB2 is headed down a similar path.

North Carolina's penchant for passing unconstitutional laws hardly paints a picture of "moderation."

Old 05-14-2016, 09:43 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The he-started-it defense doesn't really work much past kindergarten.
It's not a defense of anything. It's one element of a fact pattern. Look into the use of fact patterns in analyzing legal issues (and try not to hurt yourself when you smack your forehead).

Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
North Carolina may be moderate by southern standards, but hardly moderate compared to the rest of the nation.

The Marriage Amendment that the legislature approved by a wide majority was declared unconstitutional by federal courts.

North Carolina Supreme Court ruled that state lawmakers had violated the constitutional rights of veteran teachers when they retroactively stripped them of their tenure protections.

HB2 is headed down a similar path.

North Carolina's penchant for passing unconstitutional laws hardly paints a picture of "moderation."
Well not since the GOP took over the GA. Before that, it was known as a moderate, progressive Southern state.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well not since the GOP took over the GA. Before that, it was known as a moderate, progressive Southern state.
Progressive politics. Growing economy. Strong university system. Great weather. Southern graciousness...

It all sounded too good to be true.

Turns out it is.

With the exception of that unfortunate academic/sports scandal, the university system seems top notch and the weather is darn good most of the year.

South graciousness has been somewhat of a disappointment. Lot of vindictive old southern men and women in our area.

Politics has been a huge disappointment. Hard to believe the legislators and governor continue to pass laws that are struck down in the courts. What a waste of time, money, and effort.

It took years to build the reputation as a great place to do business. Wonder how long that will last?

Old 05-14-2016, 05:46 PM

599 posts, read 401,313 times
I hope I can get elected into the North Carolina General Assembly in 2018 as a Libertarian though North Carolina may be just to conservative for a Libertarian to ever win in regards to the article it appears that way and in all honesty the Republican Party keeps hurting itself on the social issues mainly marijuana legalization, LGBT rights and abortion.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Despite his chipper attitude, Governor McCrory interviews are just bizarre.

He carries on about "expectation of privacy" as if anyone actually had a right to expect privacy in a public restroom and goes on about how the "Democrats" and the "left" started it, as if the he-started-it defense had actually ever carried the day.

He keeps insisting it's okay to discriminate against transgender people because anti-discrimination laws say "sex" and not "gender." This seems thin legal reasoning at best.

In the last interview I watched, McCrory whined about how the U.S. Attorney General only gave them "three working days" to respond. He repeated the "three working days" mantra numerous times, as if anyone following this topic couldn't figure out they actually had five days to come up with a response to why, once again, NC is in violation of federal laws.

Not to mention that any one with their wits about them would have seen this coming and developed a strategy heading in.

Governor McCrory has an honorary doctorate of legal letters from Catawba College, Salisbury, North Carolina. Perhaps an actual law degree would have better prepared him for avoiding these legal pitfalls.

Chris Wallace got him to admit there had been no known cases of transgender people assaulting people in bathrooms. "This isn't a problem," he insists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bjtR83kAco

"Moderate" is not the word that comes to mind while watching McCrory tap dance around. He's upped the ante with the counter lawsuits, but he's on the wrong side of history here and it appears from his increasingly beleaguered appearances that he may be catching on.

Roy Cooper is probably laughing his *** off.

As is the rest of the country.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-15-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I hope I can get elected into the North Carolina General Assembly in 2018 as a Libertarian though North Carolina may be just to conservative for a Libertarian to ever win in regards to the article it appears that way and in all honesty the Republican Party keeps hurting itself on the social issues mainly marijuana legalization, LGBT rights and abortion.
This next election will demonstrate whether NC is a moderate, progressive state, or just another southern, right wing, redneck state with a decent tech economy.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM

68 posts, read 38,005 times
I thought Ned Barnett's editorial in today's N&O was particularly insightful, enraging, and also heartbreaking. As so many others have said - it was never about bathrooms. And it, most definitely, was NEVER about protecting women and children - and I say that, with full confidence, as a parent to three young children. My head wants to blow off my neck when I try to make sense about the "outrage" over "perverted men in women's bathrooms" - and yet crickets, scorn, and inaction when it comes to the REAL threats to children, in particular. For those of you who support this utter nonsense - what in the heck is wrong with you? Why aren't you shaking your angry fists at the REAL problem instead of one that's entirely manufactured?!?!

Lawmakers should do more to truly protect N.C.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdcastle View Post
I thought Ned Barnett's editorial in today's N&O was particularly insightful, enraging, and also heartbreaking. As so many others have said - it was never about bathrooms. And it, most definitely, was NEVER about protecting women and children - and I say that, with full confidence, as a parent to three young children. My head wants to blow off my neck when I try to make sense about the "outrage" over "perverted men in women's bathrooms" - and yet crickets, scorn, and inaction when it comes to the REAL threats to children, in particular. For those of you who support this utter nonsense - what in the heck is wrong with you? Why aren't you shaking your angry fists at the REAL problem instead of one that's entirely manufactured?!?!

Lawmakers should do more to truly protect N.C.
You hit the nail on the head. It's maddening. They were just waiting for an excuse to pass more laws for Art Pope's benefit.

Bathroom attacks are rare & have been rare. They are as likely to happen in either bathroom. Using the safety of women & children is insulting & untrue. They are mandating trans men who have not had the final operation to use women's bathrooms, which makes me less safe because then I can't distinguish a trans man from a transgressor. These people are bald-faced liars who are also clueless. They assume that everyone else is as stupid or moreso than they are.

I'm tired of the empty platitudes of looking out for women from a party that still wants to sit by & allow women to be paid less for equal work. Their words are empty & meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina