Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
I freely admit I am one of those people adamantly against a Dave and Busters going on Risgbee Ave (which is a completely different part of downtown from Main St btw, I was confused with your "on ONE street" comment earlier).

Durham does have a specific vibe that it does well, right now that section of Rigsbee Avenue especially really fits that vibe. Adding a big franchise like a Dave and Busters completely changes the character of that area.
A few more "mainstream" attractions could only be a positive thing IMO. I would be one of the first to come check it out,from Raleigh. I try to experience everything the Triangle offers. From a fancy restaurant to a foodie joint. West End Billiards to Fox Liquor Bar throw in Dave and Busters I'm there. Not everyone has such a diverse taste.

The trend is most similar places seem to open in Cary. Due to Cary's central location. So I think it's a longshot. Saying that personally I hope it's true. We'll see,when do you think an official announcement will come?

One street is a bit of an overstatement IMO. Buttttt unless there is a Bulls game and a show at DPAC tgat areas kinda dead. Main Street is usually ok. Along with 9th street. That's about it,unless I'm missing something? If I am please let me know. Like to see what I'm missing. I don't get to DT Durham as much since I moved from Brier Creek. So maybe I'm a little behind.

To be honest I think DT Durham has what DT Raleigh lacks,and vice versa. I think that's the point,and not an accident. It's by design,and a good thing IMO.

Last edited by Atowwn; 05-06-2016 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM

530 posts, read 638,721 times
Quote:
Durham's Dt is starting to pigeonhole itself, but if that's desired, then fine.
For me, and many other people who have been supporting it and watching it grow, this "pigeon-holing" as you call it is sort of the idea. Durham does have a decidedly hipster, progressive flair with an industrial vibe and focus on local businesses. That is what has made it grow so far, people who are attracted to that, people who want to move here and open up enterprises like that. It is what has made Durham a "cool" destination. You can add a bunch of generic crap and turn it into generic downtown (which is how I would describe Charlotte), and it loses the essence of what has made Durham work as Durham.

You mention Chapel Hill/Carrboro as a bad example, but I see it is as a good thing, people who like Chapel Hill like it for what it is.

Quote:
Main Street is usually ok. Along with 9th street. That's about it,unless I'm missing something?
Personally, I spend most of my time on Risgbee Avenue (at Cocoa Cinnamon, Motorco or Surf Club depending on the time of day). I was also a big fan of the Ponysaurus/Ciderworks area (though sadly Ciderworks has closed now). But yes, by numbers most bars are located on the Main St corridor which stretches from the Social (near Brightleaf) down to 106 Main (which is located at 106 E Main). Along with lots of cool places scattered around five points (Dashi/Pompeiri/Bull City/Atomic Fern/Alley 26/Parlour/21c (check out of bank vault lounge downstairs!), and the Durham.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,908,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
To be honest I think DT Durham has what DT Raleigh lacks,and vice versa. I think that's the point,and not an accident. It's by design,and a good thing IMO.
true... as long as that's acknowledged. I think some people in here are/were delusional.

Quote:
For me, and many other people who have been supporting it and watching it grow, this "pigeon-holing" as you call it is sort of the idea. Durham does have a decidedly hipster, progressive flair with an industrial vibe and focus on local businesses... You can add a bunch of generic crap and turn it into generic downtown (which is how I would describe Charlotte), and it loses the essence of what has made Durham work as Durham.

Yes... Charlotte's downtown is generic and uber trendy and Charlotte as a whole has no soul, but Charlotte is Charlotte and we appreciate it... aaaaaaaaaannd that's another thread with a whole host of angry QC warriors coming out of the woodwork.

as for the other underlined portion...

who has determined and defined the essence of what has made DT Durham work? And when did that happen? And what were the criteria? And who was included and excluded in that determination?

That's what I'm talking about.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,361,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Yes... Charlotte's downtown is generic and uber trendy and Charlotte as a whole has no soul, but Charlotte is Charlotte and we appreciate it... aaaaaaaaaannd that's another thread with a whole host of angry QC warriors coming out of the woodwork.
You raaaaaaaang?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 AM

7,832 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll defend DT Raleigh here. It is the only downtown in NC that has the challenges of county and state governments.
Having grown up in a capital city myself (Salem,OR) I can vouch for the fact that career bureaucrats by in large are not a crowd that are out immersing themselves in the night life.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,125 times
Raleigh being the Capital,comes with many more advantages than disadvantages. Even in DT. Advantages State museums and even the Dix Park.

It comes with drawbacks also. When the State has to have a say so in so many decisions.That gets messy most of the time.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You raaaaaaaang?

Bwahahahahaha!

Apperciate that, urbancharlotte. Right on cue.

Where were those photos taken, btw?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:31 AM

530 posts, read 638,721 times
Those pictures are exactly what I am saying though. Charlotte has the biggest most impressive downtown in the state. Sure. However something like the EpiCenter is not the vibe that downtown Durham was going for. Charlotte has the Plaza Midwood and NoDa areas and that sort of vibe is a good comparison for what downtown Durham has been going for.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Those pictures are exactly what I am saying though. Charlotte has the biggest most impressive downtown in the state. Sure. However something like the EpiCenter is not the vibe that downtown Durham was going for. Charlotte has the Plaza Midwood and NoDa areas and that sort of vibe is a good comparison for what downtown Durham has been going for.
i haven't been to downtown Charlotte at nighttime in several years, and don't really care to (no shade, urbancharlotte), but what elements can Durham take from Plaza Mid and NoDa that seem doable and replicable... for Durham on Durham's scale?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:55 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
You raaaaaaaang?

Gotta be during CIAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina