Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,886,152 times

Advertisements

Love old historic downtowns, and waterfronts.........PLEASE where do I go? And I love road biking in these towns? Where should I move too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 02:30 PM

923 posts, read 3,522,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Love old historic downtowns, and waterfronts.........PLEASE where do I go? And I love road biking in these towns? Where should I move too?
Wow, That's a good one...

Old 11-04-2006, 06:19 PM

753 posts, read 763,824 times
Quote:
Hi,

How big of a city are you talking? Port Townsend, WA is a lovely historic town near the water, but it's pretty small. Years back I visited Marquette, MI and absolutely feel in love. The East Side has some great older homes, a gorgeous L. Superior waterfront, and backwoods trails abound. But again, it's not huge.

But if you move to either place, can I rent your basement?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM

19 posts, read 162,540 times
Chicago. The best downtown area of any city. The skyline and the lakefront are beautiful. Biking on the lakefront is popular here. BTW, the food is the best in the world.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,486,379 times
Burlington VT, Littleton NH, Portsmith NH, Denver CO

Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM

622 posts, read 2,716,856 times
I've never been, but I hear Portland, OR is very cool.

Very historic downtown, built on a river. It is considered to be one of the best cities for cyclists. It has it's crime, I'm sure, but they say not nearly as much as most cities. Most people say it feels more like a big town than a small city. I'm thinking of moving there in a few years.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,681,057 times
I would say lower Manhattan. Anything south of 8th street. Why do I say 8th. street because then I can include McSorleys Ale House which is on 7th. street. Seriously though. There is so much to do, see and eat in lower Mahattan it's incredible. I've never felt threatened when I've been downtown. I would also add the inner harbor in Baltimore which is another great place to visit, although I believe it's a place where you wouldn't want to stray to far from the beaten path. Again I've been there quite a few times and never had a problem.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,801,725 times
Burlington VT
Montreal Canada

...did I mention Burlington VT? Miles and miles of lakefront bike path, including miles if it going THROUGH the lake on a 20 foot wide former railroad bed. Burlington also has a lovely old downtown with a pedestrian core.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:49 AM

12 posts, read 48,417 times
Quote:
mmm, I would suggest you to check TALLINN in northern Europe middle-age old town and waterfront... but yea, sorry, guess you are looking for a place in the U.S.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM

105 posts, read 148,773 times
I don't feel threatened in Buffalo and it has the nicest old buildings. Its really a big museum. Ive walked all parts- night and day- love it but live in Texas. Elmira from the pics has lovely old bldgs as well,however I havent been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.