Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I guess it is all about expectations. DT Raleigh blows away some Downtowns in other similar-sized cities. Doesn't mean it's an epic DT, though.
What similarly sized US cities does DT Raleigh blow away? For the record, I'd never make such a bold claim about uptown Charlotte vs Charlotte's peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,432,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What similarly sized US cities does DT Raleigh blow away?
Tampa's Downtown for sure.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Quote:
Tampa's Downtown for sure.
Tampa and Raleigh are not peers imo. And YBOR City is just north of downtown.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM

810 posts, read 668,335 times
Quote:
I guess it is all about expectations. DT Raleigh blows away some Downtowns in other similar-sized cities. Doesn't mean it's an epic DT, though.
I agree with you on this. It IS all about expectations but what if you're a tourist for a day with no idea what to expect? The out of towners I sometimes host generally enjoy their time in DT Raleigh but there really isn't anything there that you couldn't find in another city. Nothing that really "coins" it. Nothing really iconic....innovative. My family and out of town friends were more charmed over by Wake Forest's downtown.

I did a commercial photo shoot for Lennar Commercial last year. They wanted me to capture a bit of Raleigh nightlife and cafe culture to appeal to well established professionals. It wasn't an easy task. Everytime I left Fayetteville St. I would eventually strike out amidst dimly lit sidewalks and uninteresting buildings that checked out at 5PM on Friday. (So I'd usually end up walking back.)

I think downtown Raleigh has so much potential but there's a somewhat staleness that keeps it from being truly exceptional.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:16 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,786 times
I think Franklin St is better than DT Raleigh tbh

But I don't like DT Raleigh and it's getting worse

No free parking?!

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
yea... Fayetteville St. and Glenwood South are pretty much it. Not too much to see otherwise... narrow weed infested sidewalks, parking garages, construction, dull buildings occupying entire blocks, a glorious bus station, couple of squares that are "blah". Wish something BIG and iconic would come around. And is it me or is nobody's really talking about the Raleigh Beer Garden anymore?

Raleigh Cityscape

Greensboro Cityscape
Seriously? You pick the "backside" of Fayetteville St as your Raleigh example? You seriously picked one of the least active and attractive streets to compare? rolleyes: That said, I think that Salisbury St. is a sleeper and will surprise everyone in the future. Raleigh's DT is growing way too rapidly for it not become "a thing" in the future.

In addition to the two streets you mention, I'd say that you forgot others that are very active as well. Arguably the Wilmington Street corridor south of The Capitol and toward Moore Square is more active than Fayetteville. The Warehouse District is also dotted with dining, drinking and party venues. While there are venerable establishments in the Warehouse District, It's poised to only grow.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,519,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Seriously? You pick the "backside" of Fayetteville St as your Raleigh example? You seriously picked one of the least active and attractive streets to compare? rolleyes: That said, I think that Salisbury St. is a sleeper and will surprise everyone in the future. Raleigh's DT is growing way too rapidly for it not become "a thing" in the future.

In addition to the two streets you mention, I'd say that you forgot others that are very active as well. Arguably the Wilmington Street corridor south of The Capitol and toward Moore Square is more active than Fayetteville. The Warehouse District is also dotted with dining, drinking and party venues. While there are venerable establishments in the Warehouse District, It's poised to only grow.
I totally agree with you on this. I'd like to add north Person and Seaboard Station. I will say none of these spots are very well connected to the other. On a night out you kinda have to just pick one and stick with it.

Kimbrells on Salisbury Street. Probably the worst possible example I could ever think of. Rolled my eyes a little on that one myself.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
So what are your favorite streets for walking in the different downtowns? Fayetteville Street is nice in downtown Raleigh, but I'm also a little partial to Jones Street where you can see the legislature and the museums with the big Daily Planet.

In Durham I like American Tobacco Campus with the Lucky Strike Tower and the water features and with the DPAC and the DBAP right across the way:

I also like downtown Durham around West Main St near Dame's and the Durham Hotel. Lots of nice old architecture around there.

In Chapel Hill and Carrboro it's Franklin St to W Franklin to Main St and Weaver St. Always plenty of people out and about and sometimes acting crazy:

For Greensboro it's Elm St.

Which is your fave walking street in Charlotte? I don't like it down by Discovery Place. I feel very hemmed in down there.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,906,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
DT Winston is nice. I agree
Winston, and DT Winston was THE standard for the state about a half century ago up til maybe the mid to late 70s (historians help me out)...It was a bustling hub... Then it bottomed out for about 20-30 years... and recently it has been coming back around.

Winston's downtown has come a loooooooooooong way in the past 15 years. It's finally getting more activity.

I don't know what OP sees in DT Greensboro. It has more of an urban feel of the DTs outside of Charlotte, but it's not really that lively, imo. Maybe two streets have consistent activity.

If we're talking potential, I think Fayetteville's downtown has so much potential. *gasp* ... If someone only cared.

I agree with Atowwn and rnc2mbfl about Raleigh's DT. I don't know what some of you folks were doing.

...and now that I think about it, Wilmington's downtown is very underrated. Top 5 for sure.

Last edited by UserNamesake; 05-03-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,906,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
So what are your favorite streets for walking in the different downtowns?
Has to be 4th street in Winston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina