Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 AM

94 posts, read 345,237 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen much on Mebane here.

Mebane is a small town 20 miles away from Chapel Hill and it is booming. Lot's of commuters living there now. One of my old friends built a home in a subdivision there about 5 years ago (actually her mailing address is Haw River but she is right at Mebane). She purchased a 2 1/2 acre wooded lot for $ 29,000 and it is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know alot about the schools there. Her kids were attending a new elementary school in Mebane and she is very persnickity as far as her kids go. There's also a good charter school in the area which another one of my friends' children attend.

If you go to Realtor.com and enter this mls # you can see an example of one of the homes for sale in her subdivsion : MLS ID#: 54104 - it's the property located on 309 Great Smoky Mt. Dr. (PS - I am NOT a realtor )

If you like small town living, yet want to work in or be near Chapel Hill, check Mebane out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 01:18 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,490 times
I agree that there are so many nice small/medium size towns within commute of the Triangle that don't get mentioned on this forum. It seems that most people out of state look at "best of" lists and jump on Cary, which is understandable b/c that's all they have to go on. And then the people from Cary who post here sing its praises because they are too new to NC to truly know many other areas.. and apparently Cary (though not great in my opinion) must be alot better than where they came from.
So, on second thought maybe we shouldn't broadcast too much about the real livable spots around here.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:54 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post

Mebane is a small town 20 miles away from Chapel Hill and it is booming. Lot's of commuters living there now. One of my old friends built a home in a subdivision there about 5 years ago (actually her mailing address is Haw River but she is right at Mebane). She purchased a 2 1/2 acre wooded lot for $ 29,000 and it is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know alot about the schools there. Her kids were attending a new elementary school in Mebane and she is very persnickity as far as her kids go. There's also a good charter school in the area which another one of my friends' children attend.

If you go to Realtor.com and enter this mls # you can see an example of one of the homes for sale in her subdivsion : MLS ID#: 54104 - it's the property located on 309 Great Smoky Mt. Dr. (PS - I am NOT a realtor )

If you like small town living, yet want to work in or be near Chapel Hill, check Mebane out.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Don't tell!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 PM

94 posts, read 345,237 times
But if we don't redirect them they're going to having our urban sprawling all over the place.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 PM

31 posts, read 90,574 times
I just discovered this. Found a house there last month. Great smokey...around the corner. I HOPE it's a GOOD secret.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 33,400 times
I know this is an old forum but I want to comment on Mebane, NC.
I moved to Mebane from Chapel Hill about 4 years ago looking for a more relaxed pace and better value for my money. Mebane is now growing rapidly but still remains lovely. I live in a small subdivision of all brick homes on a cul-de-sac surrounded by some farm areas. I am across the interstate from downtown but love the old city feel in town with it's beautiful homes and the outlying areas like the Iron Gate Vineyard. I drive to Durham to work every day and the drive is an easy 30 minutes both ways. We are getting a new hospital and have good schools so I expect Mebane will soon be a very popular place to live for folks working at UNC, Duke, and RTP! Right now, taxes are low but will most likely increase as more people move this way. There are several new housing developments now underway along with more restaurants and shopping centers. So, enjoy it while you can!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
There is chat about the area and you can use the search feature in the state forum to find threads relating to the area and nearby area of Burlington and Alamance County.

Alamance county is consider a part of the Piedmont Triad region but many residents who want to live on the outskirts of the Raliegh metro area have also chosen this area.

Using the search feature will pull up all related threads that have been posted in the state forum , triad forum and the triangle forum.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 AM

31 posts, read 95,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post

I entered the number 54104 but I didn't see the home you mentioned, maybe its off the market?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 AM

31 posts, read 95,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glisco View Post
I entered the number 54104 but I didn't see the home you mentioned, maybe its off the market?
Oh, I just realized you wrote the post in 2006, duh!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,748 times
Default Why no talk about Mebane, NC

My hubby and I moved from Jersey to Raleigh 2 years ago and now we're looking to buy a house in Mebane. I've done research and driven around the area and love it. I grew up in a small town in Jersey and that's what I want for my kids as well. I've pulled put the Mebane's school test scores and Orange's county's as well and it seems that Mebane's scores are higher. I was wondering they I keep reading that the Orange county schools are better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina