Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 AM

53 posts, read 205,180 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have received lots of great information from this forum, so I am hoping someone can chime in with some more data...

My husband (Army) and I and our 2 boys (kindergarten & 1st grade) are moving to Fort Bragg this July. We have taken a quick trip to the area to get a feel for where we want to live. Our first choice was to live on post, but the wait list for his rank is about a year long. We saw a *few* okay areas of Fayetteville, but didn't love it.

Of course on our trip up to Southern Pines, we just fell in love. I am originally from suburban (a small town) Boston and So. Pines felt just like home. Plus I am a horse owner, so all the farms were wonderful to see.

So now our predicament is this - do we live up in Southern Pines and my husband does the commute? How long is it really, with traffic etc.???? We made it out there from Bragg in about 35 minutes without traffic. Anyone else out there do this commute? Is it horrible? How fast can you drive on those isolated roads - do the MP's strictly enforce the speed limit?? I would hate for my husband to be stuck in traffic for hours per day... and if that is the case (hours of traffic), we'll probably look at living down near Hope Mills in the Stoney Point school area.

So, let's hear it...what is the Southern Pines to Fort Bragg commute like?

Thanks!!!!
Commanding Spirit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM

123 posts, read 511,430 times
It has been years since they closed the gates to Bragg and years since I drove "on post" so take this with a grain of salt. With a radar detector (wink wink) you can probably get there in under 20 minutes. High beams all the way because of the deer.
MP's (I was one myself) will enforce the law if they "lock on" to a speeder. But, even on post traffic, traffic moves above the posted limit.
At worst, what is so bad about a 35 minute commute knowing that his family is safe, secure, and happy in SP? It's a nice place to come home to and "down time" could not be spent in a better place.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,877 times
Default living west of ft. bragg

Hello. I live in Pinehurst and drive to Division on Ft. Bragg everyday. It is not a bad drive at all, about 45 minutes. It would take about 30 min from So. Pines (at 0700hrs Mon-Fri, including the security check point). I've seen MP's out on that end of post twice in the past six months, although honestly I wish they were over there more frequently (some people drive like maniacs on Manchester Rd, so watch out for the other guy). For me, Southern Pines/Pinehurst was the only true option for living, for the reasons you listed. I do not like Fayetteville at all and did not even consider living over there once I found So. Pines. The only drawback to living over here is, if you're looking for acreage, you will likely be spending a lot of money. Most all of those horse farms over here are owened by old-money families and worth millions. You shouldn't have any trouble with smaller lots, in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM

14 posts, read 82,522 times
Default Southern Pines

It depends where you'll get a house, but we live by Weymouth Woods (Fort Bragg Rd), and it take us between 20/30 minutes. The drive is beautiful, maybe a couple of stop signs, until you get to the major gate. The speed limit is 55mph, no traffic at all, very relaxing.
We love it here, I wouldn't change it for anything.
When we go shopping we do go to Raleigh. The drive to the mall is about 15/20 min longer than going to Fayetteville, but it's so worth it.
Southern Pines/ Aberdeen/ Pinehurst, is a great choice for a family, very safe, quite, no violence, very friendly. The school system, is superior to Fayetteville.
I hope it helped.
Good luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 60,424 times
Stay out of Hope Mills area what ever you do. The elected mayor of this redneck Town has said publicly that the military resident is transient so their opinion does not matter all he cares about is getting their short term tax money and dispatching them away while he and his friends spend this money on their own little projects benefiting just a few. If you are smart you will stay well away from this area. southern Pines and the small urban areas nearby are excellent and the schools are 100 times better than public schools in Cumberland county.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 15,924 times
I am moving to Southern Pines...I will be working at the VA in Fayetteville. How long is the commute??

Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
About an hour or more. The Fayetteville VA is on the eastern side of Fayetteville. You really should really try to make the drive a few times before deciding on living way out there.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 11,802 times
Same questions just about. How long is the drive from Southern Pines to the Air Field on Ft. Bragg??

Old 05-24-2012, 04:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Pope Army Air field or Simmons Army Air field? Simmons would be farther because you have to go all the way across Fort Bragg. I would as 45-60 minutes.

There is no reason you have to live so far from post. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods a lot closer in Cumberland, Harnett and Hoke counties.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:46 AM

32 posts, read 30,422 times
I really enjoyed reading this thread, even though it is old. I am considering moving to NC because like the original poster, I have a horse and want to be in horse country. I loved what I saw in Southern Pines.

Can anyone recommend, or know of, rental housing that would be appropriate and reasonably priced, for a retiree? I would like to live in say, a 30-minute drive of Southern Pines. (I found some senior housing in places like Fayetteville, but most reviews are negative. I had also looked in the Statesville area and that got negative reviews too.)

All input is welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina