Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 20,651 times

Advertisements

So I will be moving to NC to accept a civilian job at Ft Bragg. I am going down in early Jan to look for housing. My girlfriend will be coming with me so it will be tough to decide where we want to live, as she has not secured employment yet. She works in medical records and will hopefully find a job within one of the hospital systems (it seems like there are quite a few near Raleigh and fayetteville). I would prefer to be under 45 min to Ft Bragg but still close enough to go into Raleigh on weekends (or if she gets a job near Raleigh). We are in our 20s, no kids, and would like to be able to go into the city, on say a Saturday for dinners/drinks/concerts/malls/etc...

On the map I see a town called Sanford. What other options are there?

Any info or advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony000 View Post
On the map I see a town called Sanford. What other options are there?
Sanford is a nice small town with it's own hospital, and many people do commute to Fayetteville from there. Fuquay-Varina is in the Raleigh suburbs, but maybe 45 minutes from Ft. Bragg. Benson is also about midway between Raleigh and Ft. Bragg, but you need to research it for your needs, as I haven't been there.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
I would recomend either Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, or the Cleveland part of Garner/Clayton. You'd be about 45 minutes to Fayetteville and about 25 minutes to Raleigh.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sanford is a nice small town with it's own hospital, and many people do commute to Fayetteville from there. Fuquay-Varina is in the Raleigh suburbs, but maybe 45 minutes from Ft. Bragg. Benson is also about midway between Raleigh and Ft. Bragg, but you need to research it for your needs, as I haven't been there.
Thanks. Sanford looks like it could be a happy medium. I could not get a whole lot of information on Fuquay-Varina...just that it is closer to Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I would recomend either Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, or the Cleveland part of Garner/Clayton. You'd be about 45 minutes to Fayetteville and about 25 minutes to Raleigh.
Google map is saying that clayton is an hour twenty minute drive to ft bragg. I think that is a bit far for me to put up with 5 days a week...do you not think Sanford is a good option?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
There is no reason to write off the Fayetteville area. Plenty of nice safe places to live and it is only an hour and a half or less to Raleigh.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony000 View Post
Google map is saying that clayton is an hour twenty minute drive to ft bragg. I think that is a bit far for me to put up with 5 days a week...do you not think Sanford is a good option?
It depends on what your expectations are and what your used to. Sanford is a very small town. If your comfortable living in a small town you'll be fine.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
Sanford looks to be the best option. It's about equidistant from Bragg and Raleigh. Also it's large enough to where you can still do some things in town when you don't feel like driving to Raleigh or Fayetteville.

Probably the best location commute wise as well since US 1 is a full freeway between Raleigh and Sanford and NC 87 takes you directly into Ft. Bragg from Sanford without even having to go through Fayetteville.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Southern Pines is close to Bragg plus the huge First Health medical center in Pinehurst. SP is only about an hour to Raleigh for weekend visits.
Lots of restaurants and some bars in the SP area. For malls you probably have to go to Raleigh, not sure I don't know where all the malls are.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Suggestion 1 - rent in or around the job and get a feel for your needs. Perhaps fiancee can get a job nearby.

Suggestion 2 - get a handle on what your work hours will be before you buy a home. I worked at FORSCOM as a civilian for many years and it is not necessarily an 8 hour day and you need to factor in the commute time. While it was in Atlanta, I drove at least 1 hour each way plus easily worked 9-10 hours a day. And longer if there was an operational need to man the fort so to speak.

Just saying, rent first try to stay as near work as you are comfortable. Stretch out the distance as you need.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Suggestion 1 - rent in or around the job and get a feel for your needs. Perhaps fiancee can get a job nearby.

Suggestion 2 - get a handle on what your work hours will be before you buy a home. I worked at FORSCOM as a civilian for many years and it is not necessarily an 8 hour day and you need to factor in the commute time. While it was in Atlanta, I drove at least 1 hour each way plus easily worked 9-10 hours a day. And longer if there was an operational need to man the fort so to speak.

Just saying, rent first try to stay as near work as you are comfortable. Stretch out the distance as you need.

Good luck.
That is actually good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina