Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 16,988 times

Advertisements

From Northeast Ohio, and would appreciate all thoughts about the area. Very interested if someone can give me reference points of Cleveland cities to NC.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
A lot slower than Cleveland. Small town. Fairly safe, plenty of national chains to shop/eat at and a few local mom/pop restaurants that are pretty good. A LOT of golfers. If you like gold, you'll love Moore County. Cameron is very small and kind of far from Southern Pines/Aberdeen with not much going on. I don't think it even has a McDonald's or anything. They will all be different from "Cleveland cities" because by that I'm assuming you mean Cland suburbs. Aberdeen/Southern Pines aren't suburbs of anywhere, they are their own little towns. Btw, I keep referring to it as Aberdeen.Southern Pines because even though they seemingly have separate zips, pops, crime rate, businesses, etc, it pretty much is all 1 town. Everything is right next to each other on Sandhills Blvd and 15-501.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. The sandhills area seems nice. Housing is a little expensive. I found some houses in cameron. They seem to building alot in the area of blue bird street in cameron. My husband may have a job in pinehurst. I have heard to stay away from Fayetteville, sanford. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Also, what are your thou gush ts on Broadway?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
That area of NC is about as far removed from a major metropolitan area like Cleveland as you can get. I think you would be bored out of your mind in Cameron. It's the boondocks and real country. Take a stroll through town via google street view, or just look at the population. With the exception of Pinehurst/Southern Pines you're talking about teeny tiny specs of places. Hope you like golf. They really got it going on on golf in Pinehurst, but that's about it. Lots of retirees.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawrence7351 View Post
Thanks for your reply. The sandhills area seems nice. Housing is a little expensive. I found some houses in cameron. They seem to building alot in the area of blue bird street in cameron. My husband may have a job in pinehurst. I have heard to stay away from Fayetteville, sanford. What are your thoughts?
The Sandhills area is gorgeous! A bit expensive but it can't be bad compared to Cleveland I'd imagine. Like the poster above me said and like I mentioned in my previous post, Cameron is really small and not very close to anything. Probably at least 20 mins to the closest town that offers anything. Carthage is a bit bigger than and closer to PH/SP/Ab than Cameron is. Aye, I'd stay away from Fayetteville unless you can afford to move into a nice neighborhood. Nice neighborhood in Fay means you'd have to pay at LEAST $850-900/month in rent. Definitely get a burglar alarm no matter where in Fay. Sanford I personally do not like. Very ugly, old and there are a lot of thugs starting to take over.

Just looked at google maps and the closest town to Cameron is Vass at 9 minutes away. Vass is another tiny town with nothing going on but like 2 or 3 gas stations a Dollar store,a bank, a pizza joint and a Piggly Wiggly. Cameron is 25 minutes from Pinehurst and Spring Lake.

Quote:
Also, what are your thou gush ts on Broadway?
Thanks

Not sure what you're talking about here :P

Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 AM

Broadway is another tiny town on the other side of 87, LH, closer to Sanford. Nothing much there.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Ah I see. Never even heard of it lol. GM puts it at 47 minutes from Pinehurst. Yikes.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
My husband may have a job in pinehurst. I have heard to stay away from Fayetteville, sanford. What are your thoughts?
I'd suggest living in Pinehurst if you can afford it. I agree that Cameron is too small to have the amenities you would be used to, and Braodway is not much but the crossroads and some chain restaurants. There are pleasant parts of Sanford, especially the Carolina Trace area (which is a gated community). It is the downtown area that people suggest avoiding.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Personally, I don't really like the topography of the Sandhills and don't find the area gorgeous, but Pinehurst really does it nice. It's a very elegant resort. If you go out of Pinehurst into the country, though, I find the sandy pineywoods depressing. I prefer the mixed deciduous forests of the piedmont of NC, or the gorgeous hardwood forests of the mountains.

If the job offer is good and you like the Pinehurst area I really recommend you stay in Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen. These are super small areas compared to Cleveland, though. The total population of all the towns in Moore County combined is 90,000 compared to 2 million for Greater Cleveland, or 400,000 for the city of Cleveland. Lee County, which is very small geographically and where Sanford and Broadway are, has a population of not quite 60,000. Personally, I'd rather live in Sanford than Fayetteville because it puts you much closer to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) where there is a lot more going on. I have never felt unsafe traveling through Sanford and I've done that more times and more ways than I can count — downtown, bypass, etc.

But if you're going to be working in Pinehurst, I'd recommend living there (or Southern Pines or Aberdeen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina