Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times

Advertisements

BTW, the closest city the size of Cleveland is Raleigh, and that is 71 miles away. Pick a small city in Clevland (maybe Ashland) 70 miles from Cleveland as a comparison. You will travel through a lot of small towns, rural country and woods going from Pinehurst to Raleigh. However, Raleigh has a health and growing economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 17,147 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,866,072 times
Pinehurst is a "resort" town like Hilton Head, etc. and while it has quaint shops, everything in the business district is geared to tourists. Really, those who live in the Sandhills area (all the little towns in Moore county) go to all of the different 'villes (Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst etc) in the course of their needs for restaurants, shopping etc.

Lots of retirees and things geared towards older folks. Perhaps due to that, the hospital is very good.

You haven't really said what it is you are looking FOR...the area many "gated" areas with a lot of transplanted retirees such as Seven Lakes (my parents used to live there, even though we are from NC) and lots of "Senior communities" all around the area with stepdown from house->apartment->assisted living-> nursing.

Fayetteville is a military town but the Army base, Ft Bragg, is in between you and there, so you wouldn't be likely to pick there anyway because of the commute. Sanford is find, not sure why someone said "avoid at all costs" except that it's kind of a long commute to Pinehurst. Sanford is the largest town in that vicinity, and if someone thinks Sanford is podunk, they're going to be in for a shock at the other places you mention.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
Come visit Pinehurst, rent one of the small condos on the golf course near the Resort. weekly rents 4-500 for a one BR condo. Travel around the area heading west on 211 towards Seven lakes, south on US 1 towards Rockingham, travel east on 211 towards Reaford. Tour the main streets of Southern Pines,Pinehurst, check out some of the nice restaurants in Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen.
You can eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday in different places without going into one chain.

Just look around for a week or so to get a lay of the land and then if you like the area start looking for a more permanent place to live. You can find nice golf course homes from 150K to 3-5 Mil.
Lake properties in Pinehurst, Seven Lakes.
Horse property in Southern Pines, Foxfire Village, Seven lakes.

Moore co. has lots to offer if you plan on working in Pinehurst and if you like golf well your in the capital.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
LH, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think that looks cool at all. I think it looks hot and buggy and sandy and humid.

I like this:

or this one is gorgeous in Duke Forest in Durham: Panoramio - Photo of Autumn - Duke Forest trail

Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,866,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
LH, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think that looks cool at all. I think it looks hot and buggy and sandy and humid.

I like this:

or this one is gorgeous in Duke Forest in Durham: Panoramio - Photo of Autumn - Duke Forest trail
...which really has nothing to do with a thread on the Sandhills!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
Well, it sorta does. My point was that I don't find the Sandhills particularly attractive, although the village of Pinehurst is very well done. The small towns the OP was asking about outside of the Pinehurst area, Cameron and Broadway, etc, are in the midst of less than attractive (to me) sandy, piney woods, so I would NOT recommend the OP to live there. Make it Pinehurst/SouthernPines/Aberdeen.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM

13 posts, read 17,147 times
Thanks everyone. We are going down in a few weeks and I think we are going to concentrate on the aberdeen area.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
I have lived in both fayetteville and the sandhills area (which is where i live now) and I can say that I believe you are making the right decision. The southern pines/pinehurst area is much more safe and an overall nicer area. It is less than an hour and a half to Raleigh and a short commute to ft bragg, which is what I assume is why you might be relocating. If you have any other questions about the area feel free to ask. Good Luck with the move.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 PM

353 posts, read 606,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, it sorta does. My point was that I don't find the Sandhills particularly attractive, although the village of Pinehurst is very well done. The small towns the OP was asking about outside of the Pinehurst area, Cameron and Broadway, etc, are in the midst of less than attractive (to me) sandy, piney woods, so I would NOT recommend the OP to live there. Make it Pinehurst/SouthernPines/Aberdeen.

Yeah, to each his own and all that, but I personally find that section of the state to be very unattractive and unappealing: sand, scrawny pine trees, scrub oaks, and unremitting heat and humidity in the summer, with the added feature of the occasional summer tornado to keep things interesting.

My parents used to send me up that way to summer camp every year. I liked the lake and water activities, but camping out, hiking, or pretty much any other outdoors event was miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina