Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,519,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Yeah, to each his own and all that, but I personally find that section of the state to be very unattractive and unappealing: sand, scrawny pine trees, scrub oaks, and unremitting heat and humidity in the summer, with the added feature of the occasional summer tornado to keep things interesting.

My parents used to send me up that way to summer camp every year. I liked the lake and water activities, but camping out, hiking, or pretty much any other outdoors event was miserable.
I just find it attractive for now because all I ever saw in previous states were common forests without the pines Nice change of scenery with the hills and sand and whatnot lol. The heat and humidity aren't that bad to me but then again I moved here from Little Rock...where it's worse. Also, I love tornadoes and severe weather That being said I'd much rather be out towards Hickory...or further west but it gets expensive.

I find the piedmont much less attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,506,836 times
I spent one week every July for four years living outside in this area of NC. That's right, Boy Scout Camp, in rural Moore County west of Carthage. VERY HOT AND HUMID, the Sandhills might be the warmest region of the state, at least you have a breeze on the coast. However, I'll give my insight on this area since I'm familiar with it. The Aberdeen/Pinehurst/Southern Pines area (Southern Moore County) is interesting for a day trip/visit, but living there would bore me to death to be quite honest. It is mostly retirees, and it's definitely a slow moving area. However, this area is quite famous around the south and nation as a whole mainly due to golfing. If golfing is your thing, you'll love Pinehurst. It's also a quaint little village, reminds me of some areas of Chapel Hill. Southern Pines isn't exactly a tiny town, but Fayetteville is the closest city that would meet all your needs. However, it almost takes an hour because you would have to drive around Ft. Bragg. In this case, it would almost be better to drive up to the Triangle region because it's a much better area than Fayetteville and takes about an hour and 15 mins at most. For example, Streets At Soutpoint Mall in Durham. The Triangle is definitely the metro you'd want to go, Charlotte would be two hours to the west. If you're interested in Cameron, it's a puny town between Southern Pines and Sanford. It's famous for it's many antique stores, but that's about it since it's population is under 500. It's a fine little town, but living in Southern Pine would definitely be better. The only advantage for Cameron is it's closer proximity to Fayetteville and the Triangle (less than an hour from Raleigh). Hope this helps, and welcome to The Tar Heel State!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:46 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
I find living in the Sand hills quite enjoyable, yes it is hot but not as hot as Florida in the summer. There is absolutely no need to go the the Triangle or Fayetteville for shopping or dining. You can buy anything you need or want in the Pinehurst, Southern Pines area. Every auto co. except for maybe some exotics have a dealer in this area.
Almost every chain restaurant for those who don't care to support many of the better restaurants in this area.
Maybe about once a year we take a trip for a show at DEPAC which is 1.5 hrs drive.
Yes it is a slower pace than the more populous areas of NC but that is what most retirees want.
If you looking for a much faster pace then the Sand Hills is not it. Of course if you're a hipster than NC is not the place to be at all, head for NYC.

One of the best medical facilities in all of NC is First Health of the Carolinas and is right in Pinehurst.

Many people don't realize the a lot of very wealthy people retire to Pinehurst and those people demand good medical as well as good restaurants and the best golf courses.

It's not for everybody but what place is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina