Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,698 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing in Fayetteville. We know we don't want to live there. We have three kids so we want to go where the schools are decent, preferably more south-east. We will need to rent, preferably a house. We don't need to live in a top notch area, but want to avoid bad areas of course. So any areas anyone can recommend would be so helpful. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe45 View Post
My husband is interviewing in Fayetteville. We know we don't want to live there. We have three kids so we want to go where the schools are decent, preferably more south-east. We will need to rent, preferably a house. We don't need to live in a top notch area, but want to avoid bad areas of course. So any areas anyone can recommend would be so helpful. Thanks!!
Generally people recommend the Jack Britt High School area. It has a Fayetteville address, but it is one of the top schools. (However you might read the conflicting parent comments at greatschools.org.) Also Hope Mills is a good area. It has the Gray's Creek Middle and High Schools.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 9,698 times
Thanks. He is willing to commute up to an hour away, so that opens up the search.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe45 View Post
Thanks. He is willing to commute up to an hour away, so that opens up the search.
It really does not get better if you go further away; you just get into farm country with rural schools. I'd suggest sticking with Hope Mills and Raeford.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Holly Springs.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
True. If you don't mind a long commute you could commute from the Southern portion of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) such as, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Clayton, but in general going southeast from Fayetteville I would think the schools would probably get worse instead of better if you're talking about how well students do on EOGs, etc. I haven't looked that up, but you can look up school systems and individual schools at NC Report Card, which is the state of North Carolina's department of education website and not based on parent reviews like great schools and school digger, etc.

The school system in Fayetteville is county-wide, Cumberland County schools. Southeast of Cumberland County you're looking at Sampson County, Bladen County, Robeson County, Hoke County. I would be surprised if any schools in those system are better than Jack Britt High School, Massey Hill Classical, or Terry Sanford High School in Fayetteville. You could look at Moore County (NW of Cumberland Co), and while I would expect those schools to be better than Sampson, Bladen, Hoke and certainly better than Robeson Co I'm not sure they'd be better than the best schools in Cumberland Co, but again look it up on the NC Report Card site.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-02-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It really does not get better if you go further away; you just get into farm country with rural schools.
I should have said that further to the south, southeast and southwest it is primarily farm country.

However, if you wish to drive an hour to Holly Springs you could be in the Triangle with good schools and suburban amenities.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
It REALLY does get better "east of the river!!!" Out towards Eastover, Stedman areas...you have 3 of the top 5 elementary schools, one of the top middle schools AND high school in the county! It's more rural, but you can get to Fayetteville in 30 minutes or less. And you'll get more house for your money out this way!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
I can't add anything to the advice already posted. I just don't see any reason to be so scared of this area and have to live an hour way. Gas is expensive. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods and good schools in Cumberland county. I live in the Gray's Creek area and like it and the schools.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM

70 posts, read 141,529 times
Holly Springs / Fuquay Area of Wake County. Southern Pines/Pinehurst Area of Moore County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina