Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
That's still not really upscale though. More like just "not disgusting." I don't think commercials saying "Check it out, our produce is actually fresh now!" are really targeting the high-end consumer.
ROFLMAO!!!! When I moved here I saw produce in Food Lions that wouldn't have been allowed in Produce Junction on a bad day!

I've seen those Check it out! We're not selling spoiled produce! commercials. I laugh when I see those. Who the heck do they think that that impresses?

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-14-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The Raleigh/Durham area, not very many:
Kroger - Find Stores - Store Results

New Food Lion stores and existing stores near nicer neighborhoods have better decor than the old Tom Smith utilitarian decor that all the stores had at one point.
Most folks don't consider Raleigh/Durham eastern NC, because ENC has more of a definitive area (east of I-95). R/D is really the beginning of the Piedmont and more centrally located in the state.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
For those of you loyal Harris Teeter patrons who will abandon ship once the buyout by Kroger is complete, I would recommend Farm Fresh. But they might be dying soon because the chain is owned by Supervalu, which is mostly a grocery wholesaler, and owner of the awful Save-A-Lot ghetto stores. Supervalu owned Albertsons for a number of years, which included Acme, Jewel-Osco, Shaws, and Star Markets, all four chains found in the older and more industrial parts of the USA, unlike the South and West where Albertsons was once dominant. Supervalu has also shuttered the Festival Foods and Shop N Save stores in Pennsylvania, both upscale but not too upscale, not unlike Farm Fresh. It was a HUGE shock that Supervalu bailed on everything it bought from Albertsons, because Albertsons itself was a huge company a decade ago, and ended its independent existence as a miserable failure. Now an investment group called Cerberus, which ran Chrysler into the ground after buying it from the also failed DaimlerChrysler, owns the five Albertsons chains.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
That's still not really upscale though. More like just "not disgusting." I don't think commercials saying "Check it out, our produce is actually fresh now!" are really targeting the high-end consumer.
You're talking comercials I'm talking about individual stores. I have seen FL with product, decor that rivals HT and I have seen one so bare bones it doesn't even have a customer service counter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Most folks don't consider Raleigh/Durham eastern NC, because ENC has more of a definitive area (east of I-95). R/D is really the beginning of the Piedmont and more centrally located in the state.
I'm in Greensboro, Raleigh is not considered part of the Piedmont and I have to drive EAST for 1hr, 10min. So as far as I'm concerned it is in eastern part of the state. BTW, Star NC is the exact geographical center of the state and I'm a lot closer to it than Raleigh.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
You're talking comercials I'm talking about individual stores. I have seen FL with product, decor that rivals HT
The commercials are part of their marketing strategy. I've seen the new Food Lions too. They're definitely much cleaner and nicer than the old ones, but that still doesn't make them upscale.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
The situation with supermarkets in Philadelphia right now is eerily similar to the supermarket dark ages of the late 70s and early 80s. One by one, at least four chains in the area closed stores by the dozens in a relatively very short time. Thank goodness Acme survived, not that they were ever that great, and A&P reinvented its area stores as Super Fresh. The chain recently bought by A&P/Super Fresh, Pathmark, was a breath of fresh air. So was Genuardis (later bought by Safeway) and the chain that just swallowed it, Giant.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
The situation with supermarkets in Philadelphia right now is eerily similar to the supermarket dark ages of the late 70s and early 80s. One by one, at least four chains in the area closed stores by the dozens in a relatively very short time. Thank goodness Acme survived, not that they were ever that great, and A&P reinvented its area stores as Super Fresh. The chain recently bought by A&P/Super Fresh, Pathmark, was a breath of fresh air. So was Genuardis (later bought by Safeway) and the chain that just swallowed it, Giant.
This isn't about Philadelphia retail history. It's about the here & now. Harris Teeter has been headquartered in Matthews, NC & Food Lion is headquartered in Salisbury, NC. Both had gone into Delaware, just outside of the Philadelphia market, in southern Delaware. There had been a Teeter in Dover, but they retreated further south.

Food Lion has entered the Philadelphia market with Bottom Dollar while they close stores down here. Kroger's purchase of Harris Teeter puts them into a position to grab empty stores in the Philadelphia market. They can roll out Kroger stores & put Harris Teeter in more upscale areas. At the same time, Food Lion might try to go in with Food Lion or Hannaford. I'm putting my money on Kroger. Philadelphia isn't the real object. Kroger & Food Lion are waiting for A&P to take it's last breath so they can go into the NYC market.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
I'm in Greensboro, Raleigh is not considered part of the Piedmont and I have to drive EAST for 1hr, 10min. So as far as I'm concerned it is in eastern part of the state. BTW, Star NC is the exact geographical center of the state and I'm a lot closer to it than Raleigh.
I'm sorry but you don't make that decision.

http://www.unc.edu/~grdobbs/histcounties/keymap.gif
http://ncpedia.org/sites/default/files/nc_counties.png
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/coll..._provinces.png

Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Pfft! Two of those maps disagree with each other!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,043 times
I know for certain that shoppers should not have to experience the atmosphere that is prevalent at the Fayetteville,NC store (On Raeford Rd).
On more than several occasions I have witnessed management talking in derogatory terms about associates when obviously they believed that they were undetectable. One doesn't have to work there to feel the considerable tension in the air when you walk in and sadly on these occasions it stemmed from racial conflict that the management seems to turn a blind eye to. Seeing as it is the south and a lot of natives appear to mentally still be fighting the Civil War, it doesn't surprise the casual onlooker. Customers should have a pleasant shopping experience but that is something you will not receive there. Many people I have talked to have taken their business to the more satisfying Fresh Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina