Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Is Wegman''s in the Philly market?
Wegmans is in Philly & DC. I think that they're in Baltimore as well, but I'm not positive. They don't do infill. They are simply scattered around. A Wegmans came to my former town. I looked at the flyers but never went.

Ahold isn't going into South Jersey. They tried 2 times & failed twice. They didn't do their homework to understand that South Jersey is, over all, poor & rural except in the Philly suburbs,& some of those towns are very blue collar. Kroger could go into the Philly market with their own brand & with a few Teeters in the suburbs in all 3 states. Food Lion has already gone in with Bottom Dollar & has Food Lion in southern DE. The key is who wants to go into Philly. That's a huge urban area. My guess is that Kroger is best equipped to go in with Kroger stores. They could operate both store brands out of one large distribution center or 2 smaller ones.

Teeter gets Kroger to the outskirts of the Philly market where they can wait out A&P's demise. Food Lion is there with Bottom Dollar. The question is whether they would go in as Food Lion or Hannaford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, I had never heard of Bottom Dollar. Apparently, they are all over the Mid-Atlantic, from North Carolina to New Jersey.
It's bottom of the barrel Food Lion.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's bottom of the barrel Food Lion.
They tried pilot stores around this area and pulled the plug. Brand recognition maybe?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
How healthy is Food Lion. It seems to be withering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
They laid off about 1/3 of their IT department earlier this year.
Not really shocking as technology advances the need for IT shrinks. OTOH FL runs bare bones as when I go to service a location I usually wait several minutes before being waited on. FL is trying to break into the upscale market more also.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
They tried pilot stores around this area and pulled the plug. Brand recognition maybe?
One of the pilot stores for Bottom Dollar was in Mooresville. A woman who lives there posted on the Charlotte board that it was a disgusting place.

My sister waits in line for ridiculous amounts of time at ShopRite in the semi-rural town where she lives in South Jersey to avoid the Bottom Dollar near her.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
There are Kroger stores in the eastern part of the state.
Where? I know there is none in the Wilmington area and they closed their Greenville location (become a Harris Teeter).

There are no Kroger's east of I-95...south of Va Beach and North of Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
FL is trying to break into the upscale market more also.
Not really. They tried and failed with Bloom.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We shop at HT often. If we see ANY changes we dont like or ANY price increase on ANY ITEM...we will stop buying our food there.......Costco here I come. I smell scam
If anything, you'd see price decreases. The prices at HT are higher than Kroger.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Where? I know there is none in the Wilmington area and they closed their Greenville location (become a Harris Teeter).

There are no Kroger's east of I-95...south of Va Beach and North of Myrtle Beach.
The Raleigh/Durham area, not very many:
Kroger - Find Stores - Store Results
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Not really. They tried and failed with Bloom.
New Food Lion stores and existing stores near nicer neighborhoods have better decor than the old Tom Smith utilitarian decor that all the stores had at one point.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
That's still not really upscale though. More like just "not disgusting." I don't think commercials saying "Check it out, our produce is actually fresh now!" are really targeting the high-end consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina