Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,565,732 times

Advertisements

Summer is here and you and family or friends are looking for a little fun, hopefully you will get ideas on where to go in this thread.

Greensboro
Wet n Wild Emerald Point When you think summer, think Wet n' Wild. The largest water park in both the Carolina's

Asheboro
North Carolina Zoo Connect with wildlife from two different continents as you explore 500 acres of exhibits carefully constructed to resemble natural habitats. Walk from Africa.

Mooresville
The Lazy 5 Ranch A privately owned exotic animal drive thru park that offers a 3.5 mile safari through the gently sloping pasturelands of Piedmont, North Carolina.

Troutman
Zootastic Park An educational zoo with a great selection of well cared for mammals, birds and reptiles in comfortable habitats for close up study and enjoyment.

Rockwell
Tiger World is a nonprofit animal conservation and educational center dedicated to rescue, rehabilitation, and preservation of exotic animals

Kannapolis
Kannapolis Recreation Park Swimming, waterslides, disc and miniature golf, volleyball and playground

Charlotte
Carowinds Massive water and theme park with more than 100 state-of-the-art rides, shows and movie-themed experiences for all ages.

Hope Mills (Fayetteville area)
Fantasy Lake Tarzan and Trapeze Swings - Master Blaster Slides - Banana Slides - Fantasy Land for Kids + loads more and cafe

White Lake
White Lake Water Park 5,000 square foot interactive wading pool and wet deck, kiddie slides, bucket dumps and more for the kids, plus 50 foot tall 210 foot long Double Turbo Twister Slide for older and braver types! Dry activities include karting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,431,543 times
How about all of our great minor league baseball teams? How cool is it that we get to see the future of MLB today?

AAA

Charlotte Knights (Chicago White Sox)
Durham Bulls (Tampa Bay Rays)

Advanced A
Carolina Mudcats (Cleveland Indians)
Winston-Salem Dash (Chicago White Sox)

A
Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Miami Marlins)
Hickory Crawdads (Texas Rangers)
Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox)

Rookie
Burlington Royals (Kansas City Royals)

Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,565,732 times
Nice add

Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,166,284 times
Good stuff! Don't forget NC's many state parks, where most activities are free and for those that aren't the fees are very reasonable.

NC has many National Park Service facilities, including 10 national parks, waterways, historic places, etc.

There are also 4 national forests, offering a wealth of mostly free things to see and do.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,870,649 times
Don't forget the CPL...coastal teams in Morehead City, Edenton and Wilmington for those that head to the beach, can still catch some affordable baseball.

Coastal Plain League: The Nation's Hottest Summer Collegiate Baseball League

If you are in the Wilmington area you can catch the Hammerheads pro soccer...usually get about 4-5K a game in the summer.

United Soccer Leagues (USL)

As well taking a water taxi to the Battleship in Wilmington, The Lost Colony production in Manteo, and the Tryon Palace in New Bern.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
There are little booklets listing the different events all over the state. You can find these at welcome centers and libraries.

Our children always enjoyed visiting the James K. Polk Birthplace in Pineville, N. C. and just down Highway 521 is the Andrew Jackson Memorial in South Carolina where you can walk over to his birthplace in North Carolina.

The state official map always lists places of interest.

You can go on line or head to the library to find the Our State magazine. Much up-to-date information in that magazine.

Duke Power does tours or at least used to do tours at their Lake Norman location.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Don't forget the CPL...coastal teams in Morehead City, Edenton and Wilmington for those that head to the beach, can still catch some affordable baseball.

Coastal Plain League: The Nation's Hottest Summer Collegiate Baseball League

If you are in the Wilmington area you can catch the Hammerheads pro soccer...usually get about 4-5K a game in the summer.

United Soccer Leagues (USL)

As well taking a water taxi to the Battleship in Wilmington, The Lost Colony production in Manteo, and the Tryon Palace in New Bern.
Thanks. HP91. There's more than just those teams in the CPL that are in NC. I tend to not immediately think of them since they aren't a professional minor league team the way the other teams I mentioned are. But for those who are interested in some collegiate summer wooden bat league baseball:

Asheboro Copperheads
Edenton Steamers
Fayetteville SwampDogs

Forest City Owls
Gastonia Grizzlies
High Point-Thomasville HiToms
Morehead City Marlins
Wilmington Sharks
Wilson Tobs

Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
Google Waterfalls in Western North Carolina. It is so much fun to take off your shoes and play in the water where you can see your toes are safe.

And I certainly am not going to look for a boring ball team to WATCH when there are so many interesting things to DO in North Carolina. You can watch sports on TV.

Fort Fisher at the end of Highway 421 is a lot of fun. Then go walk out the rocks to where the water flaps at your feet. Be careful not to park in low tide to find your car in water when you return. Then get on the ferry and ride over to the Southport area and see Orton Plantation and the ruins nearby.

Our daughter gave us a book called Off the Beaten Path in North Carolina by Kevin Adams and we have gone on some of the tours and found Morrow Mountain, Indian mounds and history, Aurora, N. C. where you can look for sharks teeth and much more. We ended up taking two free ferry rides in that area too. Oh, I forgot to mention the interesting trail leading from a covered bridge somewhere in the middle of the state. And so far we have done less than 6 of the 18 or so trips in the book. People tend to head for the mountains and the beach and this book gave some really interesting trips in the middle of the state to places we had never been and I have lived in North Carolina most of my life.

Years ago I found a book for handicapped people in the library. I figured if the handicapped could do it so could I. There were so many different places that most of us have never ventured to in the book. I am sure someone has a book out there like that now.

Last edited by NCN; 05-23-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,870,649 times
And I certainly am not going to look for a boring ball team to WATCH when there are so many interesting things to DO in North Carolina. You can watch sports on TV.

I think most recognize that going to a game and watching on TV are two entirely different things. If you have never been to an Edenton Steamers game...I highly recommend going, its a unique experience in a Historic wooden bleacher stadium.

And the Hammerheads (or Sharks) is a great thing to do while vacationing in the Wilmington area especially with the kids and if you have never seen live soccer...there is tailgating before the games around Historic Legion Stadium...

Agree about Fort Fisher (there is an off road area on the beach), the Southport Ferry and Orton Plantation...

Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Google Waterfalls in Western North Carolina. It is so much fun to take off your shoes and play in the water where you can see your toes are safe.

Fort Fisher at the end of Highway 421 is a lot of fun. Then go walk out the rocks to where the water flaps at your feet. Be careful not to park in low tide to find your car in water when you return. Then get on the ferry and ride over to the Southport area and see Orton Plantation and the ruins nearby.

Our daughter gave us a book called Off the Beaten Path in North Carolina by Kevin Adams and we have gone on some of the tours and found Morrow Mountain, Indian mounds and history, Aurora, N. C. where you can look for sharks teeth and much more. We ended up taking two free ferry rides in that area too. Oh, I forgot to mention the interesting trail leading from a covered bridge somewhere in the middle of the state. And so far we have done less than 6 of the 18 or so trips in the book. People tend to head for the mountains and the beach and this book gave some really interesting trips in the middle of the state to places we had never been and I have lived in North Carolina most of my life.

Years ago I found a book for handicapped people in the library. I figured if the handicapped could do it so could I. There were so many different places that most of us have never ventured to in the book. I am sure someone has a book out there like that now.
Different strokes for different folks. I could just as easily point out that Orton Plantation was built on the back of human suffering and we should treat plantations more like concentration camps are treated - places to be horrified at the sins of humanity. Some people find what you call a "boring" game a fun reason to visit a new town and explore that town. My wife and I have been to every pro minor league park in NC and to us it's more than just a "boring" game - it's different towns, different ballparks (every one is different), it's different things to do in addition to the game. And no, generally minor league baseball is not broadcast on TV and one of the special things about it is that it gives fans an opportunity to see the stars of tomorrow who will be on TV before they make it big. For instance before Derek Jeter was a superstar playing for the Yankees he played for the Greensboro Hornets riding a bus between Greensboro, Asheville, Hickory, Columbia, SC, etc. Think about how cool it is if you were a kid who went to a Hornets game, maybe got Jeter's autograph, got to meet him and have a few words with him and now he's poised to end a hall of fame career soon. What you find interesting I may find yawn-inducing, but that doesn't give you a right to pooh-pooh it as something less legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina