Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM

485 posts, read 561,103 times

Advertisements

OK, here are some items I pay in Arizona. I wonder what the costs would be in North Carolina? I realize some things will vary by area, but list what your costs are, if you will.

Car insurance for two drivers (married), no accidents, about 10,000 miles a year per car, 2003 Camry XLE and 2003 MINI Cooper. We pay $915 per year TOTAL (not per 6 months and not each).

Car registration: MINI Cooper ($396.06 for 2 years); Camry: ($493.83 for 2 years) - these includes the state excise tax

Groceries (not including toiletries and other items - just food): $103.08/wk for the two of us.

Water, sewer, and garbage pick up: $58.34 per month

Electricity (we don't use gas in this house): $148.43 per month

Cable TV, Internet, and telephone (all combined): $123.92/month

Property taxes on house (valued at $377,000): $1815.38/year
Insurance on same home: $806.00/year

Those are the basics. What about in your neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 95,839 times
Here is what we pay:
Car Insurance: about 1400 a year. We have full coverage on 2 vehicles, and liability only on an older pickup.
Groceries: about $100 a week, plus a $300 Sams Club trip once every 6 weeks or so (family of 4)
Water: $30 a month (no sewer, we have septic)
Trash: $58 every 3 months
Electricity: average month is $150. Higher, of course, in the winter when we have the heat and Christmas lights on, lower in the spring when we're not running the heat or AC.
Phone/cable/internet bundle: $165/month. A little high, but my darling husband has to have the premium cable package in order to watch NASCAR 24/7.
Property taxes: $900 a year (house valued at $175,000)
Homeowners insurance: $408/year

The initial registration on our vehicles was high (about $500 total) but our renewals were much lower. Then we had to pay property tax on our cars later on in the year. I think that was about $120 for 2 of the cars.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
OK, here are some items I pay in Arizona. I wonder what the costs would be in North Carolina? I realize some things will vary by area, but list what your costs are, if you will.

Car insurance for two drivers (married), no accidents, about 10,000 miles a year per car, 2003 Camry XLE and 2003 MINI Cooper. We pay $915 per year TOTAL (not per 6 months and not each).

Car registration: MINI Cooper ($396.06 for 2 years); Camry: ($493.83 for 2 years) - these includes the state excise tax

Groceries (not including toiletries and other items - just food): $103.08/wk for the two of us.

Water, sewer, and garbage pick up: $58.34 per month

Electricity (we don't use gas in this house): $148.43 per month

Cable TV, Internet, and telephone (all combined): $123.92/month

The initial registration for my MINI Cooper (purchased in state) was $75, but I think the renewal might be a bit less - however, renewal is on a yearly basis.

Insurance for a 6 month policy on my MC started at $430, but went down when I renewed to $408 - this was the lowest rate I found for the area, and about half what it was where I was coming from. No accidents, full coverage. However, I'm single, late 20's and living in an apartment complex in Raleigh, so this might impact the rate. I know that the city you live in will definitely make a difference in rate. My boyfriend's insurance for his truck is much lower (he's older, so is his vehicle). The personal property tax on the car (brand new) was $205 - this will decrease each year as the vechicle depreciates.

You can find cable rate info at Time Warner Cable - Home.

Our water, sewer, trash bills have been about $23-$28/month (two person household), and we have been told by others that our apartment complex has been ripping us off at that rate. <shrugs>

Groceries, this is so subjective based on personal preferences, etc. We could easily spend $100+/week if we bought everything we wanted, when we wanted it. But lately we have been on a strict budget and get away with about $80 every two weeks. You have to have discount cards for all the grocery stores here in order to keep your grocery bills in a normal range.

I hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM

485 posts, read 561,103 times
Yes, Miamiblue, it helps. Thanks!

Comcast wants an address to quote rates - I guess to be sure they provide service in the area. Some things may have to wait until we move.

Anyone from Boone who can quote rates?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Yes, Miamiblue, it helps. Thanks!

Comcast wants an address to quote rates - I guess to be sure they provide service in the area. Some things may have to wait until we move.

Anyone from Boone who can quote rates?
Are you sure about Comcast? It's my understanding that Charter Communications is the only cable provider in Watauga County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: