Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times

Advertisements

To really enjoy this state beautiful landscape and cute little towns is avoid the interstates

Here is a list of byways through out the state.

North Carolina Scenic Byways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM

791 posts, read 1,156,760 times
Cape Hatteras is very good down in the Outer Banks. Stay at the Ramada Hotel in Nags Head. And drive through the National Park. I did this about a month ago.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
Cape Hatteras is very good down in the Outer Banks. Stay at the Ramada Hotel in Nags Head. And drive through the National Park. I did this about a month ago.
I love Hatteras Island, from the Light house to the yummy Apple Uglies at Blossum Bakery in Buxton, the sunsets at Canadian Hole, cute towns of Avon and Frisco. I find beaches more gorgeous than I did around Southern Shores.
I still want to do Pea Island refuge.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 AM

For the rail lovers there is several rail museums in this state.

Hamlet Historic Depot & Museum 2 West Main St., Hamlet. Open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays; 1-5 p.m. weekends.

Wilmington Railroad Museum: 505 Nutt St., Wilmington. Open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays.

Spencer, N.C. Transportation Museum: Off Exit 79 of I-85. 411 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer. Open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, 1-5 p.m. Sunday
There is a small ride around the tracks in old style passenger cars.
Also a festival coming up on June 11th and 12th

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad: Everett St., Bryson City. Nice excursions they offer different themes often it a fun way to enjoy the beautiful Smokies.

There are 27 steam locomotives listed in North Carolina.

Steam Locomotive Information

Steam locomotive rides can be found in Blowing Rock, Denton and Bonsel, Blowing Rock.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-28-2013 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,433,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
For the rail lovers there is several rail museums in this state.

Hamlet Historic Depot & Museum 2 West Main St., Hamlet. Open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays; 1-5 p.m. weekends.

Wilmington Railroad Museum: 505 Nutt St., Wilmington. Open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays.

Spencer, N.C. Transportation Museum: Off Exit 79 of I-85. 411 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer. Open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, 1-5 p.m. Sunday
There is a small ride around the tracks in old style passenger cars.
Also a festival coming up on June 11th and 12th

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad: Everett St., Bryson City. Nice excursions they offer different themes often it a fun way to enjoy the beautiful Smokies.

There are 27 steam locomotives listed in North Carolina.

Steam Locomotive Information

Steam locomotive rides can be found in Blowing Rock, Denton and Bonsel, Blowing Rock.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
GSMR is a fun trip - they also own a steam locomotive, but it's been under repairs for awhile now (IIRC it needs a new firebox and they're converting it to run on a mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel). We went on a Nantahala Gorge trip (an out and back to the Nantahala Outdoor Center) and it was gorgeous.

For me one thing I always love is the Summer Movie series the North Carolina Museum of Art puts on in their museum park theater. It's usually a great mix of classics, independent films, and blockbusters - and how better than to enjoy them under the stars! NCMA

Lineup this year is:

6/1 - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
6/14 - Life of Pi
6/21 - Perks of Being a Wallflower
6/22 - Skyfall
6/28 - Madagascar 3
7/19 - Silver Linings Playbook
7/20 - Argo
7/26 - Cars
8/2 - Drive
8/9 - Glory
8/10 - Lincoln
8/16 - Moonrise Kingdom
8/23 - Vertigo
9/7 - The Big Lebowski

I'm also a fan of NC's drive-in theatres and summer is peak drive-in season! Here's the active drive-ins still kicking in the Old North State

Badin Road Drive-In (Albermarle, NC)
Bessemer City Kings Mountain (Bessemer City, NC)
Eden Drive-in (Eden, NC)
Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre (Henderson, NC)
Sunset Drive-In (Shelby, NC)

Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Need a place to cool off, check this site out for swimming holes across the state.
SwimmingHoles.info North Carolina Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

River Tubing is fun, here is a link to some options
North Carolina River Tubing

looking for more excitement in water? Here is map of Whitewater rafting outfitters
white water rafting nc - Google Maps

Need something more tame search your city Sprayground spray grounds in nc - Google Search

Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Here’s a listing of North Carolina’s man-made watery attractions:

White Lake Waterpark, Elizabethton 30 miles east of Lumberton
Double Turbo Twister Slide, a 5,000 square foot interactive wading pool and wet deck, and Bubble Bench, where hydrotherapy jets will massage your back into a state of complete relaxation. Attractions also include a lazy river and a bumper boat pool.

Fantasy Lake Water Park, Hope Mills south of Fayetteville.
This six-acre man-made lake is a great substitute for a day at the beach Surrounded by clean white sand beaches, this park includes slides and a jump tower for thrill seekers, as well as pedal boats and porch swings for those looking to relax.

Jungle Rapids Family Fun Park, Wilmington between Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach
Million gallon wave pool, a half-pipe waterslide, and something called the “Jungle Rapids Super Bowl”, a slide that winds riders ‘round and ‘round a giant bowl and down into a lazy river.

Sun Crest Waterpark, Taylorsville north of Hickory
old fashioned swinging rope and water slides for a
ll ages

Great Wolf Lodge & Resort, Concord a mile or 2 north of Charlotte
indoor park with 19 slides, six pools, a lazy river, and a giant water fort indoors, as well as a 60,000 square foot outdoor water park.

Ray’s Splash Planet, Charlotte Uptown
Indoor water park is a tidal wave of fun in any weather conditions. This 117,000 gallon park includes the three-story “Blue Comet” slide, a beach-like entry pool, and “Saturation Station”, where kids will find four slides, interactive water play and a tumble bucket.

Boomerang Bay, Charlotte at the SC border
34,000 square-foot wave pool, a 1,000-foot long lazy river, and 11 waterslides, including the high-octane thrills of Pipeline Peak.

Wet N Wild’s Emerald Pointe, Greensboro
The largest water park in the Carolinas with 36 rides and attractions containing three million gallons of watery thrills.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:28 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,251,015 times
With the governor lifting restrictions in June, Looks like the water parks will be open this summer. Wet n Wild in Greensboro has a new slide called Bombs Away. You stand on a platform 6 stories up and the floor drops. You can select two slides. A vertical drop or an enclosed winding slide. One thing I have noticed is that Wet n Wild has always called itself the Carolinas largest Waterpark, their marketing has changed and now its the Carolina's Favorite Waterpark and now Carolina Harbor at Carowinds (Emerald Pointe's competitor) says its the Carolina's largest Waterpark. I don't understand how that math works being that Carolina Harbor is 27 acres after expansion and Wet N Wild is 41 acres and why the folks at Emerald Pointe have acknowledged that claim.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-22-2021 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina