Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,491 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 y/o single female. I am thinking of moving to North or South Carolina. Right now I live in New York (Long Island). I work as a substance abuse counselor and have been trying for 2 years to find a job as a guidance counselor and have been unsuccessful. I have been comtemplating moving south since I can not find a job in a school here and I can not afford to live here. I know that it is definitely cheaper to live down south but how is the job market specifically in schools. Can anybody suggest any towns that would be good for me a single, young, professional. and what areas have the best school disticts and are they hiring? I also would like to be in a city that has a lot to offer as far as shopping, leisure activities go. any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning a trip in december and not sure what cities I should visit. please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,003 times
Consider Charlotte -- not sure about the job situation in your field, but the website for Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools is Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools They post job openings online, but I would call the central office as well, apparently they may know of some that are not posted. We also relocated from Long Island in 1998

Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 PM

16 posts, read 50,492 times
hi!i just moved to johnston county,nc and hate it.but they have a lot of openings for the schools here.were i live is about 30minutes from raleigh and about 3hours from myrtle beach,sc.just please be careful about the areas u pick because i learned the hard way that the crime stats,living costs and a few other things were not what i was told.it became a lot different when i got here and experienced it for myself.raleigh is huge and has a few good neighborhoods but ofcourse they are about the same as up north and the pay rates are getting closer to the ones up north because places are expanding.i would say you look at greensboro,outer raleigh,charolette,statesville and more up towards the mountains.country living is not what it used to be...people have moved down south and ruined it..

Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM

241 posts, read 756,374 times
Joey,
Please dont move here just because it is 'cheaper.' Be prepared to live an area that is, in many ways, very different from NY. Move here for other reasons than strictly financial. Keep in mind that your pay my decrease with relocation. I know that NY's job market is tight, but down here may be worse for you. Do your research and make a sound decision.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 PM

237 posts, read 1,082,053 times
Default I agree w/ TomnNC

I agree w/ TomnNC. I moved to Florida to cut my expenses and find better employment opportunities. It was a mistake, I've been miserable since the start because I didn't make my move for the right reasons.

It IS important to be financially secure, but it's equally important to be happy with your life. And where you live is a huge part of your life/lifestyle.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM

11 posts, read 20,788 times
Have you checked the News and Observer for Triangle area jobs? (Raleigh, Durham, RTP) I moved here in 07/2006 from Florida nd am happy here. I work at durham regional hospital, which is owned by Duke and I live in Creedmoor, a small town 17-22 min away from Durham. Other area hospitals are Wake Med, Rex, Duke Heath Raleigh, UNC and many others

Old 10-04-2008, 05:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,506,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1213 View Post
I am a 27 y/o single female. I am thinking of moving to North or South Carolina. Right now I live in New York (Long Island). I work as a substance abuse counselor and have been trying for 2 years to find a job as a guidance counselor and have been unsuccessful. I have been comtemplating moving south since I can not find a job in a school here and I can not afford to live here. I know that it is definitely cheaper to live down south but how is the job market specifically in schools. Can anybody suggest any towns that would be good for me a single, young, professional. and what areas have the best school disticts and are they hiring? I also would like to be in a city that has a lot to offer as far as shopping, leisure activities go. any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning a trip in december and not sure what cities I should visit. please help!
i am originally from NJ and i just moved down here last year. i like it--but i have a family.
this is really a better place for a family than it is for young professionals, i feel. maybe you should really look into NJ. "cheaper" ( not much, but still) than NY, and LOTS do do--and not so much of a culture shock

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM

86 posts, read 221,025 times
Chapel Hill has great schools (not a city, but is a neighbor of Durham, which has Southpoint Mall and lots to do). A new high school opened last year in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district, so I'd bet they're hiring.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Default Moving to NC don't do it

I moved from Newark NJ last November, because my daughter will be attending college in two years. I always pride myself in making sound decisions, since moving down here nothing but dramma. This place is too expensive. Food is too high, gas not to mention tax// on your car to transfer licence plate then tax for where you live for your car. insurance is cheaper but the get it back on property tax for your car. Girl you better pray before making this decision. They pay minimum and I mean $6.55 to $8.50 per hr that is so rediculous.. I did social work in NJ it is hard as nails finding a good job here. I have two Masters, a Bachelors and an associate in Business. if you arenot relocatingwith a current job dont do it.

Jcapri88
Lucy

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
Charlotte has a higher crime rate than New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina