Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

I am a registered nurse with 10 years experience in critical care. My family relocated to north carolina to be closer to my in laws, so that my children could develope a relationship with their grandparents. Huge mistake. I have traveled to many states as a travel nurse, served in the military for 1o years. I am originally from newyork. This was the worst decision i could have ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so racist in north carolina. This was a huge shock, because in the military everyone is just one big family. Up north everything is about your skills and knowledge, not the color of your skin. My in laws retired from jobs in the bronx and moved here and regret it everyday. They have purchased a home, land, etc. I am so glad we decided to "check it out first". The end of the year we are out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcn030707 View Post
I am a registered nurse with 10 years experience in critical care. My family relocated to north carolina to be closer to my in laws, so that my children could develope a relationship with their grandparents. Huge mistake. I have traveled to many states as a travel nurse, served in the military for 1o years. I am originally from newyork. This was the worst decision i could have ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so racist in north carolina. This was a huge shock, because in the military everyone is just one big family. Up north everything is about your skills and knowledge, not the color of your skin. My in laws retired from jobs in the bronx and moved here and regret it everyday. They have purchased a home, land, etc. I am so glad we decided to "check it out first". The end of the year we are out of here.
I live in Charlotte. I am in an interacial marriage. I am a "dark" black male married to a blonde-hair blue-eyed white female. My wife is a nurse. We go out all the time. We get just as many stares in Charlotte as we do in New York. Just like New York, it all depends on the area of town you are in. It is not fair to say that racism is a North Carolina thing. Unfortunately, it is an American thing. Most people in this day and time could care less about race. I know that in Charlotte, racism is strongest in the suburbs. Charlotte's suburbs has a high percentage of just one race (whites) than the city itself. ALL of our stares have come from areas surrounding Charlotte. Even in these areas, it doesn't happen very often at all. One time we did catch a long stare from a white male while riding the LYNX. He sat down beside us and showed us a picture of his wife. She was a black female. He then appologized for staring and told us "we look so beautiful together". North Carolina is not as bad as you may think. I just think you may have had a bad experience that can and will happen in just about any state.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,583,498 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live - and I am sorry you feel you have experienced racism . . . but here in CLT, 2/3 of our residents are from other ares of the country/world . . . and I would be very surprised if someone felt people are racist here. We have so many nationalities, ethnicities, races . . . To call NC a racist place to live . . . I am really taken back. This state also has a big tourism industry . . . so people from everywhere happily travel here . . . and enjoy their stay.

I think your description of NC is very unfortunate, and I hate you feel that way, but I don't think there are many others who would agree w/ you - unless they are stuck in some burg where NO outsiders are welcome. But even those little pocket communities are pretty rare these days . . .

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 20,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpiggy View Post
Chapel Hill has great schools (not a city, but is a neighbor of Durham, which has Southpoint Mall and lots to do). A new high school opened last year in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district, so I'd bet they're hiring.
However, If you do not work in Chapel Hill and have to commute, be warned that the traffic is a torture as it is commuting from Cary and working in Durham or Raleigh. I do enjoy going to Chapel Hill when school is out, less foot traffic, less car traffic = more enjoyable

Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
My first question would be what part of NC are you in....city or country? There are narrow minded people in all parts of the world, whom come in many colors and speak all different languages. I live in Creedmoor and have found it to be a wonderful community, diversified, family oriented and close enough to the cities to keep me feeling like I am still involved with the arts. I live in a development that is far enough away from the interstate not to hear it, but yet close enough that I can be in Durham in 20 minutes. There are many things to do here for children and adults both, and year round too!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
Joey,
Please dont move here just because it is 'cheaper.' Be prepared to live an area that is, in many ways, very different from NY. Move here for other reasons than strictly financial. Keep in mind that your pay my decrease with relocation. I know that NY's job market is tight, but down here may be worse for you. Do your research and make a sound decision.
When I moved here from Florida, in 07/2006 I took a pay cut of 1.40/hr, which may not sound like much to some, but it was a lot to me....plus there is was state tax to pay in Florida and there is here, and then of course there is the fees for cars that I was not accustomed to paying, (inspection fees and property tax for cars). I did check out pay rates, cost of living and other ideas that were recommended to me by others whom had moved and wished they had checked out....etc...
It has been over two years now, I have grown used to the state taxes, car (property) taxes and inspections fees. My pay has increased so that it is now more than what I was making in Florida. But most of all, I am happy here. I am much happier with the changing seasons of both spring and summer, the cooler winters than in FL but the lack of Florida humidity is what I love the most! If you are going to move, check out everything on line you can. Visit before you move, I would suggest nothing less than twice. Visit police stations in neighborhoods that you are interested in and know that just because a school is in your neighborhood, does not mean that is where your child will attend. (Makes little sense to me, but that is how it is done). Best of luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina