Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 23,757 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, greetings from NoFlaSoGa. My fiance and I are considering moving to NC early next year (after the wedding) and, if no one minds, I was hoping to ask a few questions of current residents.

We are currently looking into three metro areas: Greensboro (my personal pick), Charlotte, and Raleigh. We've sent away for the relocation packets and are currently researching apartments.

If anyone could help: in each area, which are the best places/neighborhoods? We're in our mid-20s, if that helps in any way... Also, what's the job market like?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2006, 04:39 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,469 times
Well, Raleigh is the state capital and is nearly in the center of the state. Charlotte is way to the south and the largest city in North Carolina. Greensboro is west of Raleigh and I don't know a lot about it. Raleigh seems to be really popular with people your age. As for Charlotte, I will let one of the locals help you with that one. I live in a very rural and poverty county of the state. My daughter lives in Raleigh and loves it. They bought a terrific house for about $200,000.00
The job market there for young professionals looks good. My daughter is in her late 20's.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
My children are also in their 20's and love it here. I relocated to Raleigh from the north when they were small. I also have friends in Charlotte that moved from Raleigh. They say it is better for younger people in the Raleigh area. More going on for the 20ish age. You can visit my website for local info. I will post it in a private message to you. Best of Luck in your choices.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 23,757 times
Thanks for the helpful webiste, Debbie And thanks to Bethany too!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM

143 posts, read 485,723 times
We're moving to Mebane in about 6 weeks and we've been talking things up with our kids (22 and 19). The older son is now considering moving down with us after they graduate college. I honestly think you will see more young folks making the move, since housing prices in Mass. are astronomical with property taxes to match.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM

58 posts, read 344,549 times
I'm 27 and live between Charlotte and Greensboro. I would much rather go to Charlotte, there is just much more to do, more culture with a bigger city. I can't tell you much about Raleigh, only they have a great airport (easy in and out, never seen one better).
There are too many depressed areas in G'boro in the city itself, while Charlotte is growing so quickly and there is always a growing abundance of things to do there.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM

61 posts, read 240,822 times
My wife and I relocated to the Greensboro area last year from NJ, and we are very happy here. Lots of young families (we are in our 30's) and lots of things to see and do in the Triad.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,868 times
I live in Greensboro and love it. It's the third largest city in NC and has a lot of construction (roads, houses, apartments, etc.) going on. But it's not as hectic as Charlotte and Raleigh. Hopefully it never will be. That's something we Greensboro residents do not want. Not that Charlotte and Raleigh aren't great cities. They are. Lots to do, but tons of traffic. I have a SIL in Raleigh and it's just nuts getting to her house. lol

Anyway, I think someone in their 20s would be perfectly happy in any of those cities. You just have to decide how much busy-ness (traffic, fast pace) you're okay with. Greensboro roads can get crazy (especially Wendover Avenue), but nothing like what I've seen in Raleigh and Charlotte. lol

I lived in Raleigh in the early to mid 80s. I really enjoyed it then. Things have grown significantly since then. There are more people (of course), more traffic, more buildings. Too frantic for me. lol I like my cities more in between Raleigh craziness and small town. Greensboro fits nicely. For now.

Anyway, as I was saying, there is a lot to do in Raleigh and Charlotte. So, if you choose one of those cities you probably won't get bored. I don't require a lot of "things to do" where I live (lol), so getting bored isn't really an issue for me. I'm a homebody. Perfectly content to putter around the house. (If I'm not shopping. lol Or on vacation.)

As far as areas of Greensboro that are good to live in, I've always liked northwest Greensboro and southern/southeast Greensboro (especially a little town called Pleasant Garden - adore it!). Areas near/off of Green Valley Rd., West Market St., West Friendly Ave. and Battleground Ave. (away from downtown) are nice. There's been some revitalization going on in downtown Greensboro. Condos and such. Supposed to be nice. They're going to start building some new condos soon near the baseball stadium.

http://www.greensboro.com/

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/default.htm (broken link)

Best of luck choosing! North Carolina is a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,042,442 times
Default Greensboro

Charlotte and Raleigh are always mentioned as the places to move to in NC. That is fine by me since I live in Greensboro and would rather see the traffic stay in those cities.

GSO has some blighted areas, but not any more than Charlotte or Raleigh. Most of the crime in GSO occurs on the "bad side" of town - I've never felt unsafe anywhere in GSO.

Despite what some may say, I believe that there is plenty to do in GSO. Clubs, sports, touring Broadway shows, parks, shopping, etc are all available -- don't forget that GSO is the 3rd largest city in NC (about 220k population) and is part of the Triad, which actually has a slightly higher population than the Triangle.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 24,635 times
Default kimbarah

Hello everyone,
I have looked into the fairgrounds flea market and things look promising. BUT this is a huge move for my family and we have to base it on locations of the best and most well known flea markets. Just out of curiosity does anyone have any idea if there are great flea markets in the Charlotte/Matthews area? We are going to buy a house but are thinking we might want to rent for a while until we find the area that fits us the best. Any helpful hints on renting? Thanks for any information it all make the process a bit easier. KIM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina