Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM

310 posts, read 1,716,626 times

Advertisements

Unless you are a very rich family and don't need to work, you should be looking first at the job market and income level.

What is the benefit if you can live in a very beautiful place, but you cannot find a good paying job or job at all. You need to compare the income level to the cost of living ratio.

Personally, I think it all balance out. Main is a beautifull state. You pay more of housing, because you earn more there. If a place has a low housing cost, I guarantee you it is that way because the income level is low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
mdm

78 posts, read 387,126 times
I think you should do more research on both areas, and visit (if you can)... more importantly, like pp said, look into jobs!

If you can financially be OK in either place and just had to pick one, I would go to Daytona to be close to my mom (especially with two kids). But that's just me. We've been here for several months and have no family around (they're in FL) and it has been very hard!

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,191,259 times
There's a lot of truck driving work here in raleigh but the pay may be lower than Maine.

If you're willing to get an apt, you should be able to afford Raleigh if that's your pick.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM

129 posts, read 671,959 times
Decisions are always hard to make..many on this board can offer advice , but you are ultimately the one that has to live with that decision. I can share with you that I moved to Florida 16 years ago . My children were small and I wanted to be near my parents . It was at that time the best decision I could make. My children had their grandparents growing up and we had such great help from them with the kids . Life there as someone else said was wonderful years ago, you could buy cheap, insurance was reasonable, the weather was nice and jobs were plentiful.Much has changed..investors starting purchasing condos, and single family homes, large amounts of money came into the area and literally priced out the teachers, firefighters and others who worked in the community. People became strapped in their homes, could not buy a bigger house and the the insurance rates sky rocketed. My insurance bill last year for my house was $4,000 and increased this year to $7300 ( with no claims). The schools were not even comparable to NC schools. We should have moved from FL sooner when our kids were younger.
However, you are young and have time to move later on if you choose. If being near family is most important and you have their suppport , you might want to move closer to them for now..change is good , we fear it sometimes, but it all works out in the end. By the way , I lived in West Palm Beach ( south Florida). Good luck to you.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM

53 posts, read 211,257 times
Florida!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM

112 posts, read 492,102 times
Reading about all the taxes in NC kinda makes it sound like the Gov't gets you 1 way or another. I was hoping to move to NC for the lower cost of living, but it seems it is all relavent now.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:16 PM

279 posts, read 703,774 times
thanks to all you answered. I have lots to think about. I guess I am in a good position since I don't need to sell anything.
I already have a trip to Fl scheduled for next month. I also have lived there before.
I will get a feel for jobs and apartments down there, and take it from there. I also may consider a road trip to NC while I am in Fl.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,191,259 times
No Mouse here but an OK place.

Been here 18 years and no plan to leave.

Previously lived in Manhattan, Los Angeles, and New Orleans among other cities.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,245,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
Unless you are a very rich family and don't need to work, you should be looking first at the job market and income level.

What is the benefit if you can live in a very beautiful place, but you cannot find a good paying job or job at all. You need to compare the income level to the cost of living ratio.

Personally, I think it all balance out. Main is a beautifull state. You pay more of housing, because you earn more there. If a place has a low housing cost, I guarantee you it is that way because the income level is low.
Not necessarily true....

Maine is a very beautiful state. Have you ever lived there? I have for 6 years, and income is NOT higher in Maine in relation to housing.

In fact, Maine has a tremendous problem with young educated folks leaving the state in droves because there are NOT enough well paying jobs.

I make much more in NC in my field than I did in Maine AND the housing options are less expensive.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,534,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
Reading about all the taxes in NC kinda makes it sound like the Gov't gets you 1 way or another. I was hoping to move to NC for the lower cost of living, but it seems it is all relavent now.
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate

3% is a lot in perspective to the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina