Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Ok, we have been told that Florida's Homeowner's Insurance can be very high. We have been told that Florida can get fairly warm and humid in the summer. We have been told that there are a lot of bugs in Florida. We have been told that Florida is a "haven" for the Spring Break crowd and that a lot of people have homes there that they come to when winter starts in other States. We have read all of these comments in this Forum.
We are still thinking about moving to the Orlando area, but want to know about North Carolina......specifically, Charlotte area. We have read here in the Forum that the Charlotte area is very nice to live in. East, West, North or South?????? It doesn't get as cold/snowy as the Denver area gets, correct?
Please give us some info concerning Charlotte or another area of NC that would be nice to live in.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 03:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, we have been told that Florida's Homeowner's Insurance can be very high. We have been told that Florida can get fairly warm and humid in the summer. We have been told that there are a lot of bugs in Florida. We have been told that Florida is a "haven" for the Spring Break crowd and that a lot of people have homes there that they come to when winter starts in other States. We have read all of these comments in this Forum.
We are still thinking about moving to the Orlando area, but want to know about North Carolina......specifically, Charlotte area. We have read here in the Forum that the Charlotte area is very nice to live in. East, West, North or South?????? It doesn't get as cold/snowy as the Denver area gets, correct?
Please give us some info concerning Charlotte or another area of NC that would be nice to live in.
Thanks
Average Temps for Charlotte

JAN
H 51.3F
L 32.1F

JUL
H 90.1F
L 70.6F

Expect about a total of 5"-6" over the course of a typical winter season for the Charlotte Metro area.

Data - National Weather service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Violent Crime Rate per 100,000 Residents

Statewide - 478.1

Buncombe County - 287.7
Wake County - 376.7
Cumberland County - 659.5
Forsyth County - 644.8
Durham County - 688.7
Guilford County - 638.8
Mecklenburg County - 1,080.1
New Hanover County - 633.2

Data - NC State Bureau of Investgation

Last edited by mm34b; 09-29-2006 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-29-2006, 03:43 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,367 times
I think most people favor, in order

South Charlotte (matthews)
east charlotte (Union Co.)
North charlotte (huntersville)

Or they're about the same

Charlotte is a great city as well. I love uptown the best though. Many people are moving uptown.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I think most people favor, in order

South Charlotte (matthews)
east charlotte (Union Co.)
North charlotte (huntersville)

Or they're about the same

Charlotte is a great city as well. I love uptown the best though. Many people are moving uptown.

Beffrey, not to correct your advice, BUT...

South Charlotte is not the same as Matthews, although Matthews is next door to south Charlotte.

East Charlotte is not someplace you want to recommend to anyone to live in. And neither is north Charlotte. The northern part of the county is where Huntersville is located and THAT is a good recommendation, but north Charlotte is a whole other story.

Union County is actually south of Charlotte, beyond Matthews and south Charlotte (especially the parts worth living in)

Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Beffrey, not to correct your advice, BUT...

South Charlotte is not the same as Matthews, although Matthews is next door to south Charlotte.

East Charlotte is not someplace you want to recommend to anyone to live in. And neither is north Charlotte. The northern part of the county is where Huntersville is located and THAT is a good recommendation, but north Charlotte is a whole other story.

Union County is actually south of Charlotte, beyond Matthews and south Charlotte (especially the parts worth living in)
Thanks,

but that is why I put the towns in parentheses. But you are right. None of those towns I mentioned are in charlotte. Matthews is down close to S.C., and obviously Union co. is not in Charlotte. But these seem to be the areas lots of people are moving to.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Thanks,

but that is why I put the towns in parentheses. But you are right. None of those towns I mentioned are in charlotte. Matthews is down close to S.C., and obviously Union co. is not in Charlotte. But these seem to be the areas lots of people are moving to.
I appreciate what you were trying to do I just want to make sure nobody here thinks they should be househunting in east Charlotte or north Charlotte!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:09 PM

Well, I like the areas in charlottte a lot more. such as

Uptown
South end
Dilworth
Elizabeth
NoDa
Wesley Heights
Morehead street area

Many great developments are happening in these areas. There is so much more culture as well.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,657 times
I live in Huntersville, which is considered North Charlotte. We like it, but the taxes are high because we have Mecklenburg County and Huntersville taxes. We are about 5 minutes from Lake Norman, which is a huge lake in this area. There are alot of transplants here from all over the U.S. As far as Florida goes, we moved here from West Palm Beach and the Spring Break thing is more in South Florida. Not sure what bugs your talking about, other than what is everywhere else. The Summers are probably not much better here in
Charlotte. It really all depends what your looking for. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Thanks

Old 09-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrpac View Post
I live in Huntersville, which is considered North Charlotte. We like it, but the taxes are high because we have Mecklenburg County and Huntersville taxes. We are about 5 minutes from Lake Norman, which is a huge lake in this area. There are alot of transplants here from all over the U.S. As far as Florida goes, we moved here from West Palm Beach and the Spring Break thing is more in South Florida. Not sure what bugs your talking about, other than what is everywhere else. The Summers are probably not much better here in
Charlotte. It really all depends what your looking for. Good luck.
Again, not to be rude, or a stickler for details, but I just want people to really understand the correct terms for different parts of the city. If you live in Huntersville you live in North Mecklenburg, not north Charlotte.

North Charlotte is basically the area bordered by I277, I77, WT Harris Blvd and North Tryon. I know this sounds like nit-picking, but there are very important distinctions between north Charlotte and north Mecklenburg. Let me put it this way, I would not live in north Charlotte, but I would definitely live in north Mecklenburg

Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 AM

30 posts, read 126,517 times
Default I live in Fl. but vacation in NC

I live in South Florida but just bought a vacation home in Murphy NC. The two area's are completely different. As far as taxes go: the .27 acres I have in Fl cost me almost $5,000 a year in taxes (it doubled after Huricane Wilma). The 1.5 acres I just bought in NC will cost me $500 a year. Big difference. Yes Florida has some bugs especially if you are somewhere near the everglades, but if you've spent some time near a stream in NC then you'll have the same bug problem. As far as the spring break thing. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and they have all but kicked out the spring break crowd. It's not a problem at all anymore. Florida (Orlando) is like any other city. Lots of people, lots of traffic, lots of attitude, and Orlando lots of tourists. The fact that you would be living in tourist central will wear thin quickly. That being said there is also a lot of money in larger cities and my business keeps me where the money is. I purchased a vacation home in NC and I love it. It's such a nice change of pace for people to smile at you and say hello. Everywhere I go I feel welcome. I hope that one day I can retire there. I hope that this answered some of your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina