Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 21,733 times

Advertisements

Hello all

My car is registered in NC however i go to school in Florida
do i have to drive back up to NC to get my car inspected
or is there a place in Florida that i can get it inspected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
You have to get it done in NC. However, most states do not enforce other states' inspections.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You have to get it done in NC. However, most states do not enforce other states' inspections.
NC does, they will ticket out of state cars with expired inspection stickers.

That was a real problem when SC first eliminated their state inspection, so people from SC just left the old stickers on their windshield, and got ticketed in NC for expired sticker even though SC no longer had an inspection.

Actually now that NC has computerized all the inspections, they will know that you haven't had it reinspected and will just mail the ticket (which if your vehicle is registered in a emissions inspection county is $250.00)

Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
NC does, they will ticket out of state cars with expired inspection stickers.

That was a real problem when SC first eliminated their state inspection, so people from SC just left the old stickers on their windshield, and got ticketed in NC for expired sticker even though SC no longer had an inspection.

Actually now that NC has computerized all the inspections, they will know that you haven't had it reinspected and will just mail the ticket (which if your vehicle is registered in a emissions inspection county is $250.00)
Does Fla. have auto inspections?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Does Fla. have auto inspections?
Not anymore, they used to.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 PM

143 posts, read 485,412 times
If you need an emissions inspection, I would make sure to bring the car back to NC before your sticker is more than 90 days expired. My mechanic told me that this is approximately the cut-off point. So, if you're going to be late by only a month or so, don't sweat it, but as Asheville Native mentioned, it is a nice $250 kiss that you will get through the mail.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 17,999 times
Where can I get my car inspected in SC? I moved from NC and have that sticker but its time to reinspect.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Asheville Native, are you sure about the $250 fine? I don't know that it would apply anymore under the new system. You won't be able to renew your license tag until the inspection is done, and all inspection due dates will shift to coincide with the registration renewal. So by failing to get an inspection, you can't register the car.

But if one chooses not to renew the tag for some valid reason (like maybe you don't drive the car anymore), it sounds like you're saying they'd mail a ticket for the inspection. They can't fine you for failure to inspect a car that's not even registered, right?

I suppose if you fail to register/inspect a car and you're caught driving it, you would be cited for both failure to register and failure to inspect, which might carry an additional $250 penalty. But I don't see how they could just mail a ticket without knowing if you're really driving the car.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtotouch View Post
Where can I get my car inspected in SC? I moved from NC and have that sticker but its time to reinspect.
I doubt you can as SC scrapped their inspection program years ago, realizing it served no purpose other than to place a burden on the citizens of the state.

When it was scrapped, it just stopped the requirement, and many people never bothered to scrap the inspection sticker off their windshield. A co-worker that lived in SC got stopped by an NC trooper and was cited for having an expired inspection sticker, even though it was no longer required in SC. But being a life long resident of NC, that came as no surprise, almost predictable.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Asheville Native, are you sure about the $250 fine?

Yes!

Quote:
Penalties for Failed Emissions Tests

You will have four months from the time your current inspection sticker expires to have your vehicle pass the emissions inspection. If it does not, you will not be able to renew your vehicle's registration.

Within those four months, keep an eye out for an official warning letter in the mail. Before the Penalty & Registration Block goes into effect, you should receive this letter by mail. Keep in mind that should you get pulled over, a law enforcement officer can still hand you a traffic citation for driving with an expired sticker. The penalty will run you $100 if your vehicle is a 1977, 1978, 1979, or 1980 model. For those driving a 1981 or newer vehicle, expect the penalty to jump to $250.
North Carolina Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, NC Smog Testing Stations - DMV Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina