Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,957,520 times

Advertisements

North Carolina House Passes Anti-Community Fiber Bill - Fourth Time May be a Charm for Time Warner Cable | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,123,409 times
Google also announced today that their fiber broadband initiative winner is Kansas City.

Frank

Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,098 times
This is bad news for NC at large. People need to pay attention to this issue. This is a bill written originally by Time Warner Cable and introduced by Ty Harrell (who later resigned for campaign finance problems). He as much as admits that it was written by them here: Ty Harrell jumps on anti-muni broadband wagon | Triangulator

"Harrell says he tried to find a compromise. Opponents suggested a study bill, but Harrell says the industry representatives refused to consider it. “Having gone through those battles last time, the proponents of this bill were basically saying, ‘We’ve gone down that road before and we want to have it heard in committee. I said, ‘OK, since my name is on it and you’re in my district.’”

The 'industry representatives' wrote it, gave it to him, and it's been floating around since.

The bottom line is, the people in Wilson, NC have better service for less money than TWC will ever provide. And TWC is worried it might spread.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,566,399 times
What a bunch of bull****

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Yes, this is very bad news. The government is allowing a monopoly thanks to campaign dollars. The antithesis of America as we (thought we) knew it. Bad news indeed, and probably ILLEGAL.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM

RDUBiker, didn't you just upgrade with TWC?

I'd love to see how many people disagree with this, but continue to use their TWC connection.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,123,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Yes, this is very bad news. The government is allowing a monopoly thanks to campaign dollars. The antithesis of America as we (thought we) knew it. Bad news indeed, and probably ILLEGAL.
Not so sure here ... monoploy? Not really. Personally I tend to not be a fan of government competing with private companies. It's really hard to level the playing field and allowing government financial advantages to compete with the free market is the antithesis of America - at least to me.

Frank

Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
RDUBiker, didn't you just upgrade with TWC?

I'd love to see how many people disagree with this, but continue to use their TWC connection.
Yes, but what other choice do I have? My wife and I both work full time from home, and friends are sometimes over working from here as well. We use a lot of bandwidth (including for my wife's phone line, which she uses almost all day for work) and the only alternative is very slow DSL in my area. I'm not in the position to quit using TWC just to prove a point.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Not so sure here ... monoploy? Not really. Personally I tend to not be a fan of government competing with private companies. It's really hard to level the playing field and allowing government financial advantages to compete with the free market is the antithesis of America - at least to me.

Frank
Well, I agree with that viewpoint, but simply disallowing the competition altogether seems like a tactic taken by someone who's scared. If they truly believe they can offer the best value for the money, they should let the gov't try their hand and see who wins.

I am of the belief that many things are often done better by private industry, but TWC clearly has a choke-hold on many local areas with their high speed internet and that is no coincidence. Now, if even AT&T or someone similar would be allowed to compete for my internet business, that'd be one thing, but TWC Is really my only viable choice here, and that's due in large part to illegal agreements like the one linked in the OP.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Yes, but what other choice do I have? My wife and I both work full time from home, and friends are sometimes over working from here as well. We use a lot of bandwidth (including for my wife's phone line, which she uses almost all day for work) and the only alternative is very slow DSL in my area. I'm not in the position to quit using TWC just to prove a point.
yeah, I hear ya there...I wasn't trying to call you out on it. I think it would be an interesting statistic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina