Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times

Advertisements

Lawmakers in the state House approved a bill that would exempt cars from the three most recent model years and older ones with fewer than 70,000 miles from emission checks.

This bill makes total sense, the original bill should have done this.

read more here
House passes bill to exempt newer cars from emission check

I wished they had more weigh stations that inspect check the tires of these transfer trucks that use our highways. I have been dodging huge chunks of rubber especially on I-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
When this is done they can apply similar logic to the vehicle inspection law.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
My 12 year old car only has 63000 miles on it. It would be exempted? Not sure that's smart.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,197,545 times
This won't help anything. Domestic automakers are just now putting out vehicles that almost compete with 20 year old Japanese cars of comparable size and power. And the increase in both vehicles on the road and average time spent driving, especially idling or in stop and go traffic in areas prone to smog, negates any potential improvements in emissions control technology.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Lawmakers in the state House approved a bill that would exempt cars from the three most recent model years and older ones with fewer than 70,000 miles from emission checks.

This bill makes total sense, the original bill should have done this.

read more here
House passes bill to exempt newer cars from emission check

I wished they had more weigh stations that inspect check the tires of these transfer trucks that use our highways. I have been dodging huge chunks of rubber especially on I-85.
DOT inspections consume a tremendous amount of time & manpower therefore it is left up to the driver to inspect his/her rig before the start of each driving day. More weigh stations is not the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
This won't help anything. Domestic automakers are just now putting out vehicles that almost compete with 20 year old Japanese cars of comparable size and power. And the increase in both vehicles on the road and average time spent driving, especially idling or in stop and go traffic in areas prone to smog, negates any potential improvements in emissions control technology.
It will help in the sense that people won't have to pay for something that's not necessary. Unlike pre-ECM cars, the average person can no longer defeat the emission controls on today's autos.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
...therefore it is left up to the driver to inspect his/her rig before the start of each driving day.
How's that working out?

Quote:
More weigh stations is not the answer.
Agreed. There are better approaches to truck safety than having known weigh facilities to be avoided.

Just this past May Maryland coordinated a rolling inspection on I-95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSun
The truck-safety dragnet pulled over 420 rigs and resulted in 12 drivers and 87 vehicles being taken off the road. Offenses ranged from falsified log books and drivers spending too many hours behind the wheel to bad tires and defective brakes.
Source

And it's not just trucks. Buses may be an even bigger culprit.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/news/...es-and-DC.aspx

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Conducts Bus Safety Inspection Sweeps in 13 States and the District of Columbia

Last edited by MrRational; 07-07-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 AM

8,055 posts, read 10,649,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When this is done they can apply similar logic to the vehicle inspection law.
This is not going to happen because the lobbyists for the engine inspection stations that profit from the annual inspections blocked it. Surprised?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
This is not going to happen because the lobbyists for the engine inspection stations that profit from the annual inspections blocked it. Surprised?
Nope. It's an utter joke.

In the other thread on the topic I've described a system that does inspection at sale.
Most cars would get that safety inspection at the 3-5 year trade-in/sale cycle.

The real objection to change is from the used car dealers.
The last thing they want is a system of vehicle safety inspections that have any teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina