Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 AM

63 posts, read 211,229 times

Advertisements

I mean I'm a Jersey girl and always thought I'd stay here. But I can't afford to live here, so I'm moving to where I can afford to live. Even though I found NC beautiful, and part of me can't wait to get there.
Is anyone else nervous/scared about making the move from a state they've always lived in to a whole new one?

What concerns do you have?

Mine is schools for my son. If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the move so much I think. But I worry about him.
Hoping that after I do all this, my transfer goes through and I can make the move and if it doesn't, what's my other option? Staying in Jersey, unless I want to rent the rest of my life, isn't one of them.
Finding my way around. I know the area I live in now like the back of my hand, I know even if I moved to a new town here I'd have to learn that area, but there's always familiar areas to go back to. There it's all new.

Anyone else?

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 04:53 AM

202 posts, read 539,782 times
Nervous, PETRIFIED - and thats why Im rethinking moving. NC might become the new Florida which will be horrible. I am true Florida native and hate seeing what haas happen over the 20 years but especially the last 5 years. So many people moving to NC for this "perfect lifestyle" just Fl a couple years ago. Well guess what people its not perfect ANYMORE. Taxes in NC will go skyhigh, they will need to pay cops, teachers and since there are a lot more people, we are going to need more these service people. Roads, schools, etc will turn to crap with the giant influx of people. Cost of housing will rise to an incredible amount. The list goes on and on and what you know as NC will never be the same. Now I hope to God this isnt the case but I cant see how it wont. So to answer your ?, I'll just sit my gold mine of a house and deal with all the negativie while living in "paradise" because I for one am to NERVOUS !!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:50 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321
Nervous, PETRIFIED - and thats why Im rethinking moving. NC might become the new Florida which will be horrible. I am true Florida native and hate seeing what haas happen over the 20 years but especially the last 5 years. So many people moving to NC for this "perfect lifestyle" just Fl a couple years ago. Well guess what people its not perfect ANYMORE. Taxes in NC will go skyhigh, they will need to pay cops, teachers and since there are a lot more people, we are going to need more these service people. Roads, schools, etc will turn to crap with the giant influx of people. Cost of housing will rise to an incredible amount. The list goes on and on and what you know as NC will never be the same. Now I hope to God this isnt the case but I cant see how it wont. So to answer your ?, I'll just sit my gold mine of a house and deal with all the negativie while living in "paradise" because I for one am to NERVOUS !!!!!!!!!!
You seem scared, and you've created this future to justify staying where you are. Moving is a traumatic event, it's right up there with getting married, divorced, and finding out your going to be a parent. It's change. I don't see where you've concluded that moving to NC equates to paradise or fantasy island. Many are moving for work, because they have family, in the area, or they just want to move south.

I grew in South Florida, so I know what you are talking about from that point of view. My parents are still there and it has changed, but in some ways it hasn't. Yes, and a big yes, housing is more expensive. Did you consider that possibly the city planners might be better in NC than those in Florida? The speculators and investors that came into FL,AZ and jacked up RE there isn't happening to that extreme degree in NC. Dade County (S. Florida) had horrible city-management, yet the Coral Gables school system was always still always one of the top schools in the state.

I'm not ready to make that proclimation about Mecklenburg, Union, or Wake County. It's growing, yes, they'll need all of what you said, correct, but to say that it will go to crap? Just isn't right. No one knows the future, if you do, please tell me who's going to win the World Series in October

I'm not so much reacting to your fear, which I totally understand (I'm moving from Boston to S. Charlotte in less than 3 weeks), it's the doom/gloom future you seem to believe will happen. Yes were going to need more teachers, more cops, more eveything. The US population will break 300 Million people this year! In 40 years 100 million new people were added to our population (you can google for those that want to read the articles- if you want to really flip out, consider what the population will be in 2060, I won't even mention the predicted # here). Growth is everywhere, it's more pronounced in some places, however we must all deal with it appropriately. I guess maybe I'm an optimist, in that I believe we can shoot for the best outcome while trying to avoid the worst.

The pursuit of a better life doesn't equate to seeking "paradise". In the last 4 months I've been reading this forum, I've never read anyone directly or indirectly imply that NC is shangri la. "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is part of the American DNA. Whether it means to make where you are better or move on to seemingly greener pastures, the worst we can do is to point out the realities of a particular area (i.e., yup it's hot in the summer) yet wish them well in their transistion.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman
I mean I'm a Jersey girl and always thought I'd stay here. But I can't afford to live here, so I'm moving to where I can afford to live. Even though I found NC beautiful, and part of me can't wait to get there.
Is anyone else nervous/scared about making the move from a state they've always lived in to a whole new one?

Mine is schools for my son. If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the move so much I think. But I worry about him.
Hoping that after I do all this, my transfer goes through and I can make the move and if it doesn't, what's my other option? Staying in Jersey, unless I want to rent the rest of my life, isn't one of them.
Finding my way around. I know the area I live in now like the back of my hand, I know even if I moved to a new town here I'd have to learn that area, but there's always familiar areas to go back to. There it's all new.

Anyone else?

Dawn
You have every right to be nervous and it is normal, i was terrified we moved from Oregon, we had visited it and thought it was beautiful and was glad to be out of the rain. We found out the hard way that just because a place is beautiful doesnt mean you should live there. we are moving back west, for us it didnt work, but maybe it will for you, it has for others, it is a big step to leave the familiar we took a chance and for us it didnt work out, doesnt mean it wont for you. I have kids too and I found great schools here, thats what we will miss.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 AM

889 posts, read 3,120,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman

Anyone else?

Dawn
If it's any consolation Dawn, I left California( my whole 46 years of life) and have been here for 7 weeks now.
Home prices were getting out of control in Calif. and i could not stomach the fact that if i wanted out of my little 1,300 sq. ft 35 year old house ( that we fullly renovated) and that i was looking to the tune of appx. $750-800 thousand dollar house's to buy because that is the going rate in that area that i was born and raised in.It made me sick and i did not want to be eating beans and rice again at my age!!! Way to much money and property taxes!!!Also my son being here brought us.I was nervous, scared but exited . I am happy with my decision and i also left a ton of family and friends. I decided not to be one big scared person and follow my gut.If it's something that you personally feel so stronly about, whether it's to improve your quality of life or just make a change for yourself then go for it.
You will learn your way around fast enough. I was lucky after visiting so much i knew at least where to drive to the grocrey store etc. It's really not hard.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:14 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,019,040 times
Terrified beyond belief but excited too. We thought everything would take much longer to actually happen and now suddenly we are one weak away from moving! The lord really has a sense of humor and that will teach me for every questioning whether or not we were meant to go! My main concern is for my kids. especially my 12 year old. I can't sleep I am making myself sick over it. Picturing him walking into the school for the first time alone or the first week or two. Picturing him eatin lunch alone etc. He has been very upset on this end already so it has made it extremely hard. My other two I worry about but not as much. AT least they will be at the same school. Also hard is just our life long friends and family calling us and crying on the phone because we are leaving. makes it hard to "keep it all together". I am also extremely stressed about finding a house at this point. sometimes doing the right thing....in fact most times doing the right thing is never easy. I am just taking it one day at a time.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,607,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321

Been there, done that. It's true but saying pointing it out doesn't seem to click with anybody. They believe that because they have there heart set on escaping these things; high taxes, overcrowding, etc; they won't bring these issues along with them. Like NC will be some huge utopic colony of low-tax paying, friendly, curtious; New York/New Jersey/California/ Florida "escapees". I feel pretty bad for the native NC'ers and actually the people who are soon to move here. If things keep going the way they are now; they will very likely be dissapointed.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,842,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
Terrified beyond belief but excited too. We thought everything would take much longer to actually happen and now suddenly we are one weak away from moving! The lord really has a sense of humor and that will teach me for every questioning whether or not we were meant to go! My main concern is for my kids. especially my 12 year old. I can't sleep I am making myself sick over it. Picturing him walking into the school for the first time alone or the first week or two. Picturing him eatin lunch alone etc. He has been very upset on this end already so it has made it extremely hard. My other two I worry about but not as much. AT least they will be at the same school. Also hard is just our life long friends and family calling us and crying on the phone because we are leaving. makes it hard to "keep it all together". I am also extremely stressed about finding a house at this point. sometimes doing the right thing....in fact most times doing the right thing is never easy. I am just taking it one day at a time.
CAKD if it is any help wit hyou my parents did the same thing to me when I was 12. We actually moved from London UK to NC. It was a big culture shock as at that time Charlotte was still country. Anyways we made an agrrement as a family to give it 12 months. Well after about 3-4 months we never looked back. I am still not sure if my parents would have turned back if me and my sister had disagreed but I sure could not be happier today.

Like you said the man upstairs has your best interests and all will work out for the best. All the best to you and your family

Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,909,896 times
I think being nervous, scared or whatever anyone is feeling is normal...For whatever reasons one is going, you are still leaving your comfort zone and area of familairity - knowing where to go, which stores you frequently go to, will my kids be ok, will I make friends-

even costs, with all the research, until you get that electric or go to the store and buy things, there is still a lot of uncertainty

The list can go on and on - we are all creatures of habit to one extent or another.

As a family, you are all going through it together and hopefully it helps you build your inner family bond and make it stronger and you get through it, like everything else in life I think we all just hope in the end it all works out, and it usually does.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 AM

293 posts, read 959,960 times
You wouldn't be normal if you're not nervous about moving to another state. I have a constant knot in my stomach thinking about it. It's a tremendous move & the thing that worries me the most is how my kids will adapt. Everybody has their different reasons for moving & you have to do what you think is best. At this point, I'm sure some people don't even have a choice but to go somewhere where they will be better off financially.
My family is accusing me of "breaking up the family". It's not like we're moving to another country!
Go with an open mind & make the best out of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina