Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,843,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Thanks, taxes are needed to keep adding on to Panther stadium!

You got that right. We are going ot the superbowl this year you know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,613,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Thanks, taxes are needed to keep adding on to Panther stadium!
Too bad the bills will take 'em this year!!!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
If only.... many people REALLY do think that NC will stay productive and affordable forever. They think that because everyone who is moving there is doing so to "escape" the high taxes and other expenses of where they live now; that the taxes and cost of living won't go up here.

I'm just curious as to what gives you that impression? Why do you think those of us who are moving or have moved don't expect NC to change? The fact is, many of us who are moving are sick and TIRED very tired of the way we are living now. You have been in NC for many years now. Do you have any idea what it's like to live in NJ, or LI, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and of course NYC? In NJ, a first time buyer has to cough up $400,000 to buy a half decent home with 2/3 bedrooms. In most of the better towns (better meaning a decent school system), you are lucky to get a town house for that kind of money.

I know that you are unhappy with the decision you've made, and I've read your comments over and over and over again without really flinching. But you struck a nerve when you mentioned that people who are happy moving must not feel close to their families. I have an incredibly tight extended family. We have never lived apart from eachother. But, I had to make the move. To see my husband drive 2 1/2 hours (min.) each way to get into Manhattan just so we could afford NJ is doing my own family an injustice. My husband and my children are more important to me that anyone else. I don't have to live and die where my extended family is.

I don't think of NC as some sort of utopia. It's close enough to drive back and forth to visit family in NJ, the weather is nice, the people are warm and wonderful, and yes, it is affordable.

I'd love to know what you would be doing if you were forced out of your beloved home town in NY. If you had to pay $500-600,000 for a 40 year old home, and then pay $8-10,000 a year in taxes, if you couldn't afford to stay there and had to choose a better life for your family or if you COULD afford it, but it required you to get up at 5:30 in the morning and get home at 9:00 at night. I'll tell you what you'd be doing. You'd be calling NC paradise.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Too bad the bills will take 'em this year!!!!!
I'll allow that only because the great Bills QB Jim Kelly is a Univ of Miami guy...

Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,910,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
I'm just curious as to what gives you that impression? Why do you think those of us who are moving or have moved don't expect NC to change? The fact is, many of us who are moving are sick and TIRED very tired of the way we are living now. You have been in NC for many years now. Do you have any idea what it's like to live in NJ, or LI, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and of course NYC? In NJ, a first time buyer has to cough up $400,000 to buy a half decent home with 2/3 bedrooms. In most of the better towns (better meaning a decent school system), you are lucky to get a town house for that kind of money.

I know that you are unhappy with the decision you've made, and I've read your comments over and over and over again without really flinching. But you struck a nerve when you mentioned that people who are happy moving must not feel close to their families. I have an incredibly tight extended family. We have never lived apart from eachother. But, I had to make the move. To see my husband drive 2 1/2 hours (min.) each way to get into Manhattan just so we could afford NJ is doing my own family an injustice. My husband and my children are more important to me that anyone else. I don't have to live and die where my extended family is.

I don't think of NC as some sort of utopia. It's close enough to drive back and forth to visit family in NJ, the weather is nice, the people are warm and wonderful, and yes, it is affordable.

I'd love to know what you would be doing if you were forced out of your beloved home town in NY. If you had to pay $500-600,000 for a 40 year old home, and then pay $8-10,000 a year in taxes, if you couldn't afford to stay there and had to choose a better life for your family or if you COULD afford it, but it required you to get up at 5:30 in the morning and get home at 9:00 at night. I'll tell you what you'd be doing. You'd be calling NC paradise.

clap, clap, clap, clap

(I am applauding what you said)

Old 08-14-2006, 03:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,761,412 times
It had to be said.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 PM

889 posts, read 3,120,874 times
Quote:

No, they do not have a clue. You are so dead on to the ones that relate!

Old 08-14-2006, 03:53 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,531 times
to Jersey Mom
Well, it is week 3 for us.
It is not paradise, but it does feel like a vacation like Miker said.
Why?
Without the 3 hour commute for my husband & 2 hours for me we have dinner as a family together every night.
Without that 60 year old clunker of a home we get our cleaning & home maintenance done so quickly we can do fun things on the weekend
Every evening we have time to sit on our little porch & listen to the crickets.
These are the things that make a huge difference in our lives.
If you told me tomorrow that we will not be able to get that dream house but had to stay in this townhouse, we would be upset but our lives would still be better than back in NY.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:55 PM

164 posts, read 353,688 times
Quote:

Thank you. We are in the same boat, only in California.

Everything you said in your post is absolutely true and felt by those of us who are living it. When you are backed up against the wall with incredible house costs, taxes like you can't believe, utility costs ($1100 for July to keep my house at 79 during the day - we sweat it out at night), and other things, you have to make changes. You just have to, for the sake of your family, your health, and your sense of well being.

I'll add one other thing. I appreciate the concerns of those in NC about life in NC, leaving family behind, that it's not utopia. I understand that it's a decision to be made soberly and that it won't "fix everything." I really do, and many posts do make me think. But I am an intelligent adult who, like probably most people on this forum, has done some research. I don't need to be warned against making a decision like this "on a whim." And I'm well aware of my own family dynamics in terms of grandparent relationships etc. Some posts make me feel like I'm a child looking for Disneyland, like I'm this amusing, gullible kid who has this terribly naive idea that NC will be candyland. Really, I think most of us are pretty smart and are making this decision carefully and deliberately. I'm sure there are some exceptions, just like new transplants in every state. If I had a nickel for every California newcomer who thinks he need only step outside and he'll be at the beach, where bikini-clad girls will ply him with drinks .... Not in Fresno, buster!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:10 PM

889 posts, read 3,120,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
Thank you. We are in the same boat, only in California.

Everything you said in your post is absolutely true and felt by those of us who are living it. When you are backed up against the wall with incredible house costs, taxes like you can't believe, utility costs ($1100 for July to keep my house at 79 during the day - we sweat it out at night), and other things, you have to make changes. You just have to, for the sake of your family, your health, and your sense of well being.

I'll add one other thing. I appreciate the concerns of those in NC about life in NC, leaving family behind, that it's not utopia. I understand that it's a decision to be made soberly and that it won't "fix everything." I really do, and many posts do make me think. But I am an intelligent adult who, like probably most people on this forum, has done some research. I don't need to be warned against making a decision like this "on a whim." And I'm well aware of my own family dynamics in terms of grandparent relationships etc. Some posts make me feel like I'm a child looking for Disneyland, like I'm this amusing, gullible kid who has this terribly naive idea that NC will be candyland. Really, I think most of us are pretty smart and are making this decision carefully and deliberately. I'm sure there are some exceptions, just like new transplants in every state. If I had a nickel for every California newcomer who thinks he need only step outside and he'll be at the beach, where bikini-clad girls will ply him with drinks .... Not in Fresno, buster!
I can relate Connie- again i say they dont get it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina