Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,655,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I think you smoke pure tobacco in a hookah and it doesn't have all the crap that cigs have in them? Not sure...weird thing to fight over imo tho.
I could be wrong, but tobacco contains a small percentage of nicotine in it. Plus, like another poster stated, tobacco, like anything else, can be addictive if you had the right personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Alcohol will bring out the "true" person.

She is talking how she "truly" is.

It's best to keep this one as a friend...not a close friend.
Honestly, that's what I'm thinking too. It's a shame too as I did think that she was a good friend. But her pride and arrogance probably would be her downfall in the end, but it's not really my job to change her, so it's her boyfriend's problem.

Personally, if she didn't have a boyfriend and she continued to egg me on, I might've gotten physical and handed her @ss to her to show her who is the tough one

I hate being the mature one...would this friendship even be salvageable? Or should I cut my losses and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,700,773 times
From a health point of view your right, if you don't want to be around second hand smoke, thats your right. Let her make her own choices, I think thats what your friend was trying to tell you. If you value the friendship, then forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I could be wrong, but tobacco contains a small percentage of nicotine in it. Plus, like another poster stated, tobacco, like anything else, can be addictive if you had the right personality.

Honestly, that's what I'm thinking too. It's a shame too as I did think that she was a good friend. But her pride and arrogance probably would be her downfall in the end, but it's not really my job to change her, so it's her boyfriend's problem.

Personally, if she didn't have a boyfriend and she continued to egg me on, I might've gotten physical and handed her @ss to her to show her who is the tough one

I hate being the mature one...would this friendship even be salvageable? Or should I cut my losses and move on?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,605,365 times
Quote:
Aren't you a man?

Quote:
I hate being the mature one...
I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM

857 posts, read 1,430,301 times
More importantly why are you taking a girl out for drinks and going to hookah bars if she has a BF?? Stop being the nice guy and go get yourself a girlfriend, not a female friend... Let the real BF deal with her being crazy

Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode
If you value the friendship, then forget about it.
Most likely. But is it selfish of me to demand an apology if she doesn't offer one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Aren't you a man?
Yes I am. But the double standards for gender stereotyping is way abused by the fairer sex Plus, if a woman wants to start a fight, I don't see why I shouldn't grant it But I had past experiences with violence, so I'm not going to strike out if I don't need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone
More importantly why are you taking a girl out for drinks and going to hookah bars if she has a BF?? Stop being the nice guy and go get yourself a girlfriend, not a female friend... Let the real BF deal with her being crazy
Um...seems there need to be clarification. We are platonic friends and are very close for about 2.5 years now. We are also college students. Throughout my life, I always had a balance of female and male friends.

We didn't go out for drinks. We snuck beers into the theater while watching a movie (yes, we are naughty). And it was a group of 6 people.

And this issue happened when we were in the car driving back home (there's a DD, by the way) and her BF was there too (which he is also one of my close friends). So she mentioned doing hookah at another person's house and I dropped the bomb, where she chastised me in front of the other two.

Finally, if this makes a difference, I'm bisexual and I'm currently getting out of a one-sided lovesickness with another male, so I'm not ready to date yet

Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,319,563 times
Quote:
Most likely. But is it selfish of me to demand an apology if she doesn't offer one?

Yes, it's assinine at this point. No one needs to apologize for their opinions. You were disagreeing no more, no less, it's what friends do - get over it.

Yes I am. But the double standards for gender stereotyping is way abused by the fairer sex Plus, if a woman wants to start a fight, I don't see why I shouldn't grant it But I had past experiences with violence, so I'm not going to strike out if I don't need to

Uhm, how did she physically abuse you. There is never justification for physical violence. You would actually hit her. Jesus! You neanderthal. You got bigger issues than this little bs arguement

Um...seems there need to be clarification. We are platonic friends and are very close for about 2.5 years now. We are also college students. Throughout my life, I always had a balance of female and male friends.

We didn't go out for drinks. We snuck beers into the theater while watching a movie (yes, we are naughty). And it was a group of 6 people.

And this issue happened when we were in the car driving back home (there's a DD, by the way) and her BF was there too (which he is also one of my close friends). So she mentioned doing hookah at another person's house and I dropped the bomb, where she chastised me in front of the other two.

Finally, if this makes a difference, I'm bisexual and I'm currently getting out of a one-sided lovesickness with another male, so I'm not ready to date yet
No, it makes no difference.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007
Yes, it's assinine at this point. No one needs to apologize for their opinions. You were disagreeing no more, no less, it's what friends do - get over it.
Thing is, I was hurt when she undermined my intelligence when she said I was "full of crap". Would that be deemed worthy for an apology?

Quote:
Uhm, how did she physically abuse you. There is never justification for physical violence. You would actually hit her. Jesus! You neanderthal. You got bigger issues than this little bs arguement
Like I said, she was egging me on to start something, which meant that she was willing to throw down. I agree that there is no justification for physical violence, which was why I held back. It does not matter if she was a woman or not as if she laid a hand on me, I will make her kiss cement since I will protect myself. Physical violence does not occur in just males and being a woman would not protect you if you initiated the fight first, in my book.

Also, name calling is not a good color on you
as psychoanalyzing my personality based on a few statements is silly. Plus, there seems to be a confusion on my part. I will only get physical with a person, in defense, if they were to deal the first blow

Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,406,537 times
It sounds like you stated your opinion of an act she was about to embark on and she didn't feel you should express your opinion on such a matter. Whether she realizes her response hurt your feelings or not doesn't matter, the fact is, she did hurt your feelings and may need you to let her know that. If you value the friendship with her and her bf, tell her that the way that she spoke to you hurt your feelings and you feel you're entitled to an apology from her. See what she says at that point, and go from there. It sounds like something really stupid to blow a friendship over.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,874,188 times
Ok you apparently are under 21 if you have all been friends in college for only 2.5 years.
You snuck in & drank beer in the theater...an alcohol-free public place.
You drove after drinking.
Your friends were discussing smoking some pot.

A lot of illegal stuff there fella.

Choose your friends and your activities more wisely or you will end up in jail ...or worse. If you don't like being around second hand smoke you need to quit hanging out with people who smoke. I would recommend new friends as this bunch you are hanging out with could ruin your future.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,615,856 times
I think she owes you an apology.

Is she this way every time she drinks, even after just one? Does she treat other people like this?

I find that people who are angry/combative/violent when they drink are generally not happy people. I'd be surprised if this was the first time she did this.

I also think she needs to know that this isn't acceptable. You teach others how to treat you. If she is so prideful that she won't apologize for that kind of behavior, especially in front of others, it is a sign of things to come. Your call, I'd have let her have it by now or avoided her all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships